Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting ford gearbox to BEC use
sevaun

posted on 19/6/15 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Converting ford gearbox to BEC use

I'm contemplating converting a standard type 9 Ford gearbox to a reverse box for BEC use. My thought is to strip out all the internals but just leave direct drive top gear and reverse in the box. Strip out everything else including the bellhousing which should remove quite a bit of weight. The drive from the GSXR engine would then be taken though the box via a drive flange on the input shaft. I haven't stripped down the box yet, but wondered if anyone who has experience of stripping Ford gearboxes can see any glitches in the concept.

Thanks

Richard

mcerd1

posted on 19/6/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
It would probably end up very big and heavy for a reversing box

Also at the price the good type 9 boxes go for now its not going to be the most economical option when compared to the electric reverse kits either....

It would be less wasteful to chop up one of the smaller boxes that nobody wants like a type 2, but even that would still be pretty big and heavy.....

[Edited on 19/6/2015 by mcerd1]

-

sevaun

posted on 19/6/15 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Also at the price the good type 9 boxes go for now its not going to be the most economical option when compared to the electric reverse kits either....

It would be less wasteful to chop up one of the smaller boxes that nobody wants like a type 2, but even that would still be pretty big and heavy.....

Fair point, but I already have a type 9 which stands me at very little. I also have a couple of type 2's but I doubt they'd take the power of a GSXR.
I suppose I could fabricate an electric reverse - that's an option.

Thanks

Richard

luke2152

posted on 19/6/15 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Use them together for 30 forward gears and 6 reverse!
sevaun

posted on 19/6/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Use them together for 30 forward gears and 6 reverse!

Cool Idea!!

mcerd1

posted on 19/6/15 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sevaun
but I already have a type 9 which stands me at very little.

you could sell it off - it should more than pay for a DIY electric reverse

the pre-made kits seem to be over £350 these days
as far as I can see that only buys you a starter motor and some kind of gear to mesh with it....

-

Fatgadget

posted on 19/6/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Fair point, but I already have a type 9 which stands me at very little. I also have a couple of type 2's but I doubt they'd take the power of a GSXR.

Thanks

Richard

Ermmm..Why should power be an issue if its only reverse you will be using it for?

Rosco86

posted on 19/6/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
if you diy an electric reverse it shouldn't coast you more than £100
sevaun

posted on 19/6/15 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatgadget
quote:
quote:

Thanks

Richard

Ermmm..Why should power be an issue if its only reverse you will be using it for?

Well that would depend on the size of shafts transmitting the drives internally I guess. I'd hazard a guess that the type 9 has bigger beefier shafts..

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
How would you support the first motion shaft as its supported in a spigot bush in the crankshaft normally ?
mcerd1

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
But in reverse your engine will only be producing minimal power and torque

If its the forwards gear your worried about then I believe that the type 2 has 7/8" input shaft and the type 9 has a 1" (well that's at the input splines at least, but you'd have to assume the internals are in proportion)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either of these boxes is likely to fail due to the shafts snapping!
I guess the dogs on 4th gear could fail, but I'd guess the bearings are the most likely to fail if you only use 4th (ignoring the syncros as the won't really be used)
I've no idea how strong the bearings for 4th are on either gearbox, but fitting uprated bearings won't be the hardest bit of this anyway....

But if you go down this route you'll have to make sure you still have a sufficient oil supply in the box (this could involve blocking off unused parts to stop all the oil escaping by the easiest route before it gets to where you need it)
And you must find a way of correctly supporting the end of the input shaft (ie the job the spigot bearing does normally)

-

sevaun

posted on 19/6/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
How would you support the first motion shaft as its supported in a spigot bush in the crankshaft normally ?

Good point, I guess the first motion shaft would have to be shortened anyway and a flange machined to mate it to the output flange on the engine(sprocket replacement). Then some form of frame would need to be fabricated to either mate the gearbox rigidly to the engine or alternatively a subframe with a spigot bearing in it could be mated to the nose of the gearbox.

Richard

paulf

posted on 19/6/15 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I considered the same idea, was going to leave 5th gear in position so as i had straight through , a higher overdrive gear and reverse.The input shaft would have to be shortened and a supporting bearing made for it that is fitted instead of the existing tubular support in the bell housing.
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.