I've spent the past few weeks on a side project...but it's going to help with the build! I made a roller bender so now i can get the box
section lengths bend to shape (rear, scuttle, bonnet, etc). Think i spent as long on the paint job as i did making it! and the colour is a giveaway
for the car
Original build from YouTube if anyone's interested:
So with the metal bender built I've started to put it to use, making the bottom support for the rear tub (the top support bend was too tight so
had to make a 90° curve out of sheet steel cut and welded up to make the right shape):
It's a really tight fit putting the rear tub on/off when testing it! Once it's on again it's never coming off thats for sure (if I
don't break it putting it back on that is).
With that done I've now put in the fuel tank and swirl tank supports:
Next on the list more brackets, for the low pressure fuel pump and filters. Gotta think about how best to fix the fuel lines in this rear section too
A few more jobs done this weekend, with more ticked off the list before powder coating.
I made the bracket for the fuel pump (the one that pumps from the fuel tank to the swirl tank):
With that done i could then work out where to put the fuel lines, and fixed in the rivnuts.
Next was the handbrake cable support bracket. A bit of fiddling about with the hubs and diff to work out the best placement, settled on putting them
towards the back at the top, ensuring they wouldn't foul against the wishbones:
And finally the bendy bits...
Putting in the side arches.
Also an extra support for the rear tub. I'm taking advantage of the extra length in the Equinox side panel bodywork to create a longer rear, any
extra luggage space is a bonus as i'm planning some big trips once she's built! I get about an extra 150mm this way. Not much but it all
Guys we have a problem. Same problem as on Stot's thread (great build...thread on Haynesforum) the clam wings won't cover the tyre fully
so won't get through IVA. The problem's made worse by the bigger wheels, which now just poke out a midge too far.
Solution will also be the same as Stot's, and the part was ordered last night - 4x4 stainless steel spare wheel cover!
So the good news is the chassis is now finished and ready for powder coating. But not surprising with the current situation they're on minimal
staff and not taking on jobs at the moment. I guess I'll crack on with other jobs until then....plenty to be getting on with!
Getting the chassis finished meant finishing up the seatbelt fixing points - welding in captive nuts and strengthening the mounting points. I also
built the back mount into a box so it's protected from the elements, seeing as it's otherwise exposed right by the rear running gear:
I also finishing any welding, and grinding back welds that would get in the way of panels. Lastly I got CP17 fitted, made from 3mm plate and an extra
length of 20mm box: