Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Remove Sierra Stalk hazard switch
tims31

posted on 23/4/16 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Remove Sierra Stalk hazard switch

I’m looking at the possibility of putting my Acewell Digi dash behind the steering wheel but currently the hazard switch on the Sierra stalks is sticking up and in the field of view, can anyone let me know how easy it is to rewire in a separate hazard switch to replace the one on the sierra stalks?

It is currently using the standard Ford flasher relay and I would like to keep it that way if possible and would like to achieve this with the minimal mess about of wiring, does anyone have a suitable wiring diagram please?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

YQUSTA

posted on 23/4/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I did this for the same reason when I had my car.

What I did was to remove the cover and bulb from the original switch.

Then I took a feed from the flasher relay to my hazard switch.

Next was from the new switch take two wires and splice them to the feeds to the left and right indicators with diodes to stop feedback from the indicators when in normal use.

This is what you need to achieve but the colours may not be the same for you as on this diagram.

Description
Description

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

tims31

posted on 25/4/16 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks for that.

I was a bit confused by the diagram at first but I think you were using Savage switches for the indicators and one for the hazards too. I'll have to ave a look at how mine are wired onto my Premier loom and see how best to replicate this.

tims31

posted on 29/6/16 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well I finally managed to get round to wiring in the Durite hazard switch in place of the one on top of the Sierra stalk unit so I can fit my Digi dash unit behind the steering wheel.

I have attached a a diagram so others can see how the wring is done as I know the question has come up before. Just be aware that there various different types of stalk switches for the Sierra stalks so just double check that the pins and switching is the same.

Also note that there was no need to use diodes to get this to work

Hope it helps

[Edited on 29/6/16 by tims31]

[Edited on 29/6/16 by tims31]

rj

posted on 29/6/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I cut down my Sierra hazard switch, pulled the red bit off, cant remember if I cut down the red bit, the black bit or both - just gave me the extra clearance I needed
Mash

posted on 29/6/16 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Did you use the original flasher relay Tims ?
tims31

posted on 29/6/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, the one out of the Sierra. I'll get the details off of it tomorrow and post them up

Mash

posted on 29/6/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers.

I reckon this could be the answer to my problems

tims31

posted on 30/6/16 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a picture of the flasher unit I used

Description
Description

HTH

Mash

posted on 30/6/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent, need to get the durite switch now

Cheers

tims31

posted on 30/6/16 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm lucky, these people are round the corner from me but they do post out.

AGM Electrical

HTH

Mash

posted on 7/7/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tims,

Thanks for all your help thus far, but I just wondered if you could help me a little more, or anyone else who knows the answer.

I presume from your posts that you are retaining the sierra indicator switch, but I want to ditch it altogether.

What I want to know, is if I wire the hazard switch as per your diagram, and then use a simple on-off-on toggle switch connected to the left, right nad supply pins of the sierra connector, will it work. You're probably all thinking I'm stupid, but electrics isn't my strongest suit, and I have searched this topic before, and also asked some questions but the results of both have just confused me.

I currently have an ordinary 2 pole on-off switch for the hazards, and a toggle for the indicators, but wired through two relays as well as the flasher to stop hazards flashing when the indicators are operated, and it's very complicated.

This is the first stage of getting rid of the sierra stalks altogether.........

tims31

posted on 7/7/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Hi Tims,

Thanks for all your help thus far, but I just wondered if you could help me a little more, or anyone else who knows the answer.

I presume from your posts that you are retaining the sierra indicator switch, but I want to ditch it altogether.

What I want to know, is if I wire the hazard switch as per your diagram, and then use a simple on-off-on toggle switch connected to the left, right nad supply pins of the sierra connector, will it work. You're probably all thinking I'm stupid, but electrics isn't my strongest suit, and I have searched this topic before, and also asked some questions but the results of both have just confused me.

I currently have an ordinary 2 pole on-off switch for the hazards, and a toggle for the indicators, but wired through two relays as well as the flasher to stop hazards flashing when the indicators are operated, and it's very complicated.

This is the first stage of getting rid of the sierra stalks altogether.........

I cant say that the electrics is my strong point either but I had a bit of help from Alan at Premier wiring where I got my loom from.

Yes I am retaining the Sierra stalks for the indicators. Not sure for certain but yes you will need the L and R supply for the indicators but also need to retain the feed from pin 49 to the switching side of the relay otherwise you will not get the switching/flashing I'm pretty sure but stand to be corrected. How you would wire that I'm not sure but check on the switch you are using to select the indicators. If you have three pins then sure it would be simple to wire one to L, one to R and one common.

Mash

posted on 7/7/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mate.

I need to sit down and think about this....

I think what I really need is a picture of how the pins on the back of the switch are connected when the switches are operated, that way I can work out how to connect my switches up.

tims31

posted on 7/7/16 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Thanks Mate.

I need to sit down and think about this....

I think what I really need is a picture of how the pins on the back of the switch are connected when the switches are operated, that way I can work out how to connect my switches up.

Something like this I would have thought, Off position and then switched contact either side to select on

Description
Description

something like this I think

[Edited on 7/7/16 by tims31]

[Edited on 7/7/16 by tims31]

Mash

posted on 8/7/16 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Mate, when i said back of the switch, I meant Sierra switch.
nobrakes

posted on 10/7/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the slight hijack but I've developed an electrical problem which might be related - there's a 12 volt draw showing when everything is switched off so the battery is going flat after several days standing.
I've a battery isolator switch in the live cable so there shouldn't be power to anything when its off apart from the indicators/hazards which have their own live feed straight from the battery and by removing fuses I've confirmed this.
The 49a terminal on my 19FL flasher unit is always showing 6 volts - is this right, should I see any voltage if the indicators or hazards aren't turned on?
I suspect the fault is somewhere else because the 6 volts must be going somewhere but it'd be nice to know if I'm hunting 2 faults - the flasher unit and another problem or just a short somewhere.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/7/16 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nobrakes
Sorry for the slight hijack but I've developed an electrical problem which might be related - there's a 12 volt draw showing when everything is switched off so the battery is going flat after several days standing.
I've a battery isolator switch in the live cable so there shouldn't be power to anything when its off apart from the indicators/hazards which have their own live feed straight from the battery and by removing fuses I've confirmed this.
The 49a terminal on my 19FL flasher unit is always showing 6 volts - is this right, should I see any voltage if the indicators or hazards aren't turned on?
I suspect the fault is somewhere else because the 6 volts must be going somewhere but it'd be nice to know if I'm hunting 2 faults - the flasher unit and another problem or just a short somewhere.

disconnect the wiring fom the indicator switch, if that is at fault the 12v draw should be gone. It could be the hazard switch is shorting out especially if it has got wet at any time, a squirt of contact cleaner or WD 40 may help ?, worked on mine. I know of a couple of cars using Sierra switches that have suffered a 12v draw

nobrakes

posted on 11/7/16 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply, I'm using 1980's Honda motorcycle handlebar switches rather than Sierra parts but I'll try it anyway and see what happens.
The switch (a Lucas unit, I think most BL cars used to use them?) does get wet occasionally and I did remove it recently to clean up the contacts because it wasn't always working on first pull of the knob (the tester pointed this out on the last MOT) - I've a spare so I'll clean it up and try swapping it over after the MOT this week - won't it be nice if its that easy to fix

Edit: I found another 19FL flasher (labelled Lucas not Ford) in my stash of electrical-stuff-that-will-come-in-handy-one-day bin and it has the same continuous 6 volts out as the Ford one so is ok - unless they've both got the same fault!

[Edited on 11/7/16 by nobrakes]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.