Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lap belt over GRP seat side
jps

posted on 19/5/19 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lap belt over GRP seat side

I think I already know the answer but...

My lap belt (on the tunnel side) is being deflected by the side of my GRP seat when I'm sitting in the seat in the belts done up as tight as I can get them. The deflection is very slight, I think if I was a bit fatter, or wearing thicker clothing, it would not make contact!

But I take it this will be no good for IVA?

I've got no evidence to suggest the seat is strong enough to take the forces required for it to be structural. Although my body moving forwards lifts the belt *away* from the seat, I appreciate it could be different in a side impact...

adithorp

posted on 19/5/19 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Does the belt not come through a hole in the seat?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jps

posted on 20/5/19 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Does the belt not come through a hole in the seat?

No - the seat has fairly low sides and on the drivers side, where the lower harness mount is about 3 inches away from the seat, it clears it fine. However my seat is really squeezed in, and is tight on the transmission tunnel side, which is where the belt is touching the seat...

40inches

posted on 20/5/19 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
You could take some material from the side of the seat, but you may be ok fitting large smooth edge trim at the contact point?
You can see how much I took off in these photo's
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description
Description

jps

posted on 20/5/19 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
You could take some material from the side of the seat, but you may be ok fitting large smooth edge trim at the contact point?

I did think that but the side of the seat is already rolled over so i'm loathe to take out what appears to be a fairly strong part of the design! The belt does run over a very smooth surface - I would say there's no chafing risk - it's whether having the belt make contact is an IVA no-no that concerns me as i'm trying to get the position spot on so I can then sort out the top harness mounts...

This is the seat i've got, you can see the sides are pretty low: http://www.exosportscars.co.uk/acatalog/7standard%20seatsW.jpg

adithorp

posted on 20/5/19 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think most low sided seats have the same contact with the lap belt and a lot of high side ones with holes probably do as well. I've not heard of any IVA failures because of it. They're more concerned with top mounts.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.