Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: large ball joint splitter
mcerd1

posted on 22/8/19 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
large ball joint splitter

can anyone recommend a larger than average ball joint splitter ?

my C-max front arms have quite big 21mm joints and most splitters seem to be made for 19mm max (as far as I can tell) - and bigger ones are either really expensive or too chunky to get at these joints
also I'd rather not use a fork type as I really need to reuse these joints/boots this time - they are only a year old.

obviously I've tried to usual ways to get it to break the taper, but no joy yet and a tool that fits nicely would make the whole job 100x easier

[Edited on 22/8/2019 by mcerd1]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

pewe

posted on 22/8/19 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Google Ball Joint Splitter - you'll find various sizes offered - QED.
nick205

posted on 22/8/19 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Faced with a similar requirement a few fears back I modified a ball joint splitter I already had with an angle grinder. The result was a tool that did the job and saved the expense of buying another tool. IIRC the tool I modified cost something like 10-15 so not a massive loss if it only did the job in hand and ended up in the bin. As it turns out it did the job and has done several others since on other cars.
mcerd1

posted on 22/8/19 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Faced with a similar requirement a few fears back I modified a ball joint splitter I already had with an angle grinder. The result was a tool that did the job and saved the expense of buying another tool. IIRC the tool I modified cost something like 10-15 so not a massive loss if it only did the job in hand and ended up in the bin. As it turns out it did the job and has done several others since on other cars.

I'm coming to the same conclusion - but I don't already have a handy cheap one to modify - I've already ground down my dads old one as much as I dare and its still not got the reach or jaw opening I need

all the cheap ones I've found online before seem to be very similar regardless of brand - their must only be a handful of types being made in some cheap factory in china

the likes of these ones look like they might have the reach I'd need:
linky or linky2
but the best I can tell from the next to F'all sizing info available online they are probably too narrow a jaw and would need a lot of grinding...

where as this type might be easier to modify, but could be too short a reach (which would be harder to sort)
link3

this type looks better (maybe a little short) but I'm not paying 180 for all I need it for
linky4< br />
[Edited on 22/8/2019 by mcerd1]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.