Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Home working and home schooling
nick205

posted on 24/3/20 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Home working and home schooling

Well...

Home working:
I've worked from home before and am used to it. It has it's ups and downs, but generally it's OK.

Home schooling:
Kids aren't used to it and with a 14 yr old and 12 yr old twins it's "challenging". Their school (like most I'm sure) have put work online for them to do. Once they're logged in and working it's not too bad, but I do have to police the YouTube diversions.

Being housebound has only just started really and may well go on for some time yet. Challenges will arise and have to be dealt with no doubt. I wish I had a decent garage with a kit in it to keep me occupied (although my time will be better spent with the wife and kids no doubt).

Very unusual times!

McLannahan

posted on 24/3/20 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've a 9 and a 5 to keep on track and it is a challenge. I too like yourself often work from home and find it very productive, but with the extra three people back in the house it's really not so easy!

I DO have a project in the garage, but if it makes you feel better - I STILL don't have time to touch it! I keep thinking - a quieter evening/lunch/etc...But no!

At least with all car shows now cancelled - there's less pressure to get him finished!

Edwardo

posted on 24/3/20 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - I'm feeling the strain too.

I have 11 year old twin boys and a 10 year old girl now at home. Trying to do an 8 hour working day from home whilst helping them and keeping them going with their online homework is very hard.

To make it worse, my wife suffers with anxiety and depression and all this uncertainty and the unprecedented measures we currently have has got her on the verge of a breakdown and so she is having to be treated with kid gloves too. I basically have 4 children in the house! The kit has loads of issues that need resolving - but is going to lay untouched for a few more months yet

Still - have to remain positive - at least I still have my job and am able to work from home! I really feel for all these people being layed off/going out of business due to this. I think we're going to be feeling the fallout from this for a while to come!

Cheers
Tony

ChrisL

posted on 24/3/20 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Same here, I quite like working from home, but not with the wife and child about. Getting some garage time which is a godsend as it's a break from the family!

Agree on continuing blessing really feel for the small business out there, the best they can hope for is to come out with a cheap loan!

Take care out there

SJ

posted on 24/3/20 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I normally work from home, so no problems there, but keeping the kids (and wife - Edwardo I sympathise!) occupied and happy isn't easy. My eldest two should have been stuck into GCSE and A level revision but that is all up in the air now.

Next few weeks should hopefully see a bit more clarity.

flak monkey

posted on 24/3/20 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've been working from home for a couple of years, between a lot of work related global travelling.

I quite like the flexibility of being able to flex my hours as long as I get my workload completed, and for the most part I enjoy the solitude. However it does tend to make me a bit stir crazy sometimes.

I am finding it amusing that a lot of my more sociable friends are commenting on how lonely and isolated they feel when working from home, after only a couple of weeks.... welcome to the world of WFH... even in this modern era of communications being so simple, there is something about being in the same room as people which we humans (or some of us) crave.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 24/3/20 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I quite like the flexibility of being able to flex my hours as long as I get my workload completed, and for the most part I enjoy the solitude. However it does tend to make me a bit stir crazy sometimes.

I've been working from home for a little over 8 years now and can totally agree with this. I find myself achieving a lot, or sometime very little - there's not much middle ground. The hardest part is, as stated, the isolation and sometimes loneliness. Despite being on the end of a phone or video calling, it's not the same as being in an office with other people around. I often find myself popping out for a coffee or to work at the local coffee shop (I'm no hipster, before any comments!) just to get out of the house.... Bit more difficult nowadays with all the closures and C19 issues, and I must say i find it harder at the moment just knowing I can't go out! Luckily no kids to try and keep occupied, just a wife who's neck-deep in work downstairs thanks to the recent pandemic.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

nick205

posted on 24/3/20 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some valid points made here.

I too feel for those now out of work or with businesses going down - unplasant feeling!

Flak makes some good points as well. WFH can be OK, but "banter" between humans in the same space isn't the same with modern technologies. email, phone, Skype etc. all have their places, but personally I don't feel you really get to know the people you're communicating with.

Let's hope things work out well.

Stay safe people

swanny

posted on 24/3/20 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
working from home the last two weeks, and with the kids since last tuesday. (11 and 8)

first week we were quite on it, maths and english every morning. with coding/online learning etc in the afternoon.

this week we've been more chilled. they have played outside, played online and chatted to friends and built a fire.

so far nothing overly structured from school. we are going to look at a topic tomorrow, migrants, as its the topic the youngest should have been doing anyway.

juggling that amidst a million video meetings. Never seen my team so much!

(we did manage a group video call for four mates on saturday afternoon with a beer, was a good laugh)

UncleFista

posted on 24/3/20 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Well...

Home working:
I've worked from home before and am used to it. It has it's ups and downs, but generally it's OK.

Home schooling:
Kids aren't used to it and with a 14 yr old and 12 yr old twins it's "challenging". Their school (like most I'm sure) have put work online for them to do. Once they're logged in and working it's not too bad, but I do have to police the YouTube diversions.

Being housebound has only just started really and may well go on for some time yet. Challenges will arise and have to be dealt with no doubt. I wish I had a decent garage with a kit in it to keep me occupied (although my time will be better spent with the wife and kids no doubt).

Very unusual times!

Check your wifi router and see if you can ban certain websites or keywords.
It certainly makes policing youtube easier

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

nick205

posted on 25/3/20 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Well...

Home working:

Home schooling:

Very unusual times!

Check your wifi router and see if you can ban certain websites or keywords.
It certainly makes policing youtube easier

Fair comment and one I'm working on.

Of financial benefit to me my employer pays for my broadband at my home to aid me working from home.

That does mean their IT people have a fairly tight reign on the ISP and the hardware provided, which in turn makes it harder for me to access certain features. We do now have an in-house IT guy who's a bit more flexible and understanding (father of two young kids himself) so he helps where/when he can.

My kids and their school friends are using a web service called HouseParty. It's an online meeting place (a bit like Skype for kids). They've found it useful when doing the online school work so they can chat remotely with their friends and share ideas. It's free as well, which is a plus for parents in my book!

Parents certainly keep an eye on what kids are up to online - the web's full of wallys, rubbish and stuff they just don't need to be viewing.

As always - keep you, family and friends safe and well!

John G

posted on 25/3/20 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
We are both teachers, (me retired} so we can both spend time with our kids 10 and 11. This is a good web site http://primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/ /> This is a a massive DT resource. http://www.technologystudent.com/index.htm This is also worth a look https://www.yenka.com/en/Free_student_home_licences/
Regards, Jon

nick205

posted on 25/3/20 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Jon, will take a look and see if they help.

My 14 yr old son is big into DT so maybe something there to help keep him occupied.

Yesterday he was trying to persuade me outside to help him make a wooden BMX ramp. Plenty of tools, fixings and wood, but overlooking the fact I'm meant to be working

mcerd1

posted on 25/3/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've only been working from home since Friday (same as the kids) and my wife's trying to do the same on reduced hours

my kids are only 6 & 3 so not too worried how much school work the older one actually does - she's only in primary 1 after all - her teacher has been very active on google classroom though.
but trying to entertain a bored 3 year old can be hell

at least I can let them out in our garden just now.... yesterday we had to build a bug hotel out of an old pallet, but I'm running out of junk for them to make stuff with already

[Edited on 25/3/2020 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 25/3/20 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I've only been working from home since Friday (same as the kids) and my wife's trying to do the same on reduced hours

my kids are only 6 & 3 so not too worried how much school work the older one actually does - she's only in primary 1 after all - her teacher has been very active on google classroom though.
but trying to entertain a bored 3 year old can be hell

at least I can let them out in our garden just now.... yesterday we had to build a bug hotel out of an old pallet, but I'm running out of junk for them to make stuff with already

[Edited on 25/3/2020 by mcerd1]

Not had the "bug hotel" yet, but my eldest son (a keen BMX and MTB rider) has had most tools and all available bits of wood out for ramp building.

We live at the end of a close so at present the kids are doing OK in the back garden and on the drive. A work colleague living in another location has had the police sweeping his housing estate today "advising" people not to be out. A brother in law who's ex-army, but still works for the MOD has reported the guys on his location are preparing to be deployed if necessary.

Strange times.

Keep safe and well people!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.