Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pipe
shortcircuit

posted on 1/6/20 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pipe

Have recently started to complete a Luego which my son hs abandoned in my garage for many years. I have purchase 4m of R9 fuel pipe to run from the tank to the engine fuel pump and clipped at 300mm intervals. I am aware some may use copper pipe with joints but would ask if a continuous length of R9 is acceptable? In addition Its the same standard required for the fuel tank vent pipe? Lastly, for the moment, the fuel tank is one made and stamped by OPB Ltd. Do I need any documentation for this?
Thanks in advance. Hamish

rusty nuts

posted on 1/6/20 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I wouldn’t use flexible hose for the full run mainly due to possible leaks, I would use something like plastic nylon https://www.ssldieselparts.co.uk/#image
shortcircuit

posted on 1/6/20 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply. There had been fitted a plastic tube, sold to my son as petrol pipe, but had no indication of R9 or any other requirements. It also looked very flimsy and susceptible to damage. This is the pipe I have ordered and am more than satisfied by its rigidity. Thanks for advise.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R9-Fuel-INJECTION-Rubber-Petrol-Hose-Pipe-SAEJ30R9-High-Pressure-Line-Reinforced/140850656095?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBI DX%3AIT&var=440078179166&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
40inches

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Personally I wouldn’t use flexible hose for the full run mainly due to possible leaks, I would use something like plastic nylon https://www.ssldieselparts.co.uk/#image

Exactly this^^^^
I you can't easily see it, run a hard line
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=153126

theduck

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I have opted for goodridge hardline and an fittings and teflon lined an flexi hose, that way its all ethanol safe etc.
r1_pete

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be very wary of R9 from ebay, there is a lot of fake stuff about, I'd suggest more fake than genuine from subsequent conversations,

I bought some a while back, here it is after 2 months..

R9r9r9
R9r9r9

Fortunately It was over winter and the car wasn't used.

I only ever use Cohline from CBS now...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortcircuit

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
The link provided was to a 2011 thread, so is that current?

At the moment I can easily run copper and use short lengths at the ends but that appears a bit pointless. If there a requirement for copper and if the tube I have is marked SAE J30 R9 is compliant, will I have an IVA problem using it?

Thanks for advise.

r1_pete

posted on 1/6/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
IMO, Kunifer is preferable to copper, more expensive, but stronger.

I solder olives on the ends to stop the flexible hoses popping off.

After being caught out once I'm a bit fastidious with fuel lines, using hard lines takes a bit more time, but is much safer, and leaves only short runs of flexi to examine / replace.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Shooter63

posted on 1/6/20 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Recently I've been replacing the flexy lines, I've used Codan but run out so bought 1.00m of so called Gates Barracade off flee bay to finish the job, it was total sh$te, so tossed it in the hose box. Codan now seems like the only stuff to use, expensive yes but you do get peace on mind, my main runs are steel by the way

Shooter

shortcircuit

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I thank you all for your replies and suggestions. As I have tube and it looks ok will use and can change easily if required. I was concerned that it would not meet IVA requirements but it appears ok.

[Edited on 1/6/20 by shortcircuit]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/6/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Where is a reasonably priced supplier of r9 these days (or r7 at a push)
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/6/20 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Most production cars run plastic pipes under the car with quick connect fittings too and I have no issue with copper pipe so long as it's mounted correctly and not subject to large vibrations. Hoses are quite vulnerable to getting cut by a sharp edge in a crash or rotting somewhere it may not be noticed, I would only use them to transition from a fixed pipe to something that vibrates like a pump or engine.
jps

posted on 2/6/20 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be running hard-lines next (brake and fuel), and was a bit surprised that i'll need to fork out c. £45 for a roll of 8mm kunifer, whereas I seem to recall a roll of the 3/16 kunifer was a fraction of the price when I bought some! (I admit I did not fully check roll lengths - but nonetheless 8mm kunifer seemed pricey!)....
rusty nuts

posted on 3/6/20 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortcircuit
I thank you all for your replies and suggestions. As I have tube and it looks ok will use and can change easily if required. I was concerned that it would not meet IVA requirements but it appears ok.

I would have a look at the fuel pipe research post in the engine section of the forum, you may change your mind!

shortcircuit

posted on 3/6/20 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks you for your suggestion and will look at when I get time.

Very disappointed that my original question "would ask if a continuous length of R9 is acceptable?" has not been responded to.

jps

posted on 3/6/20 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Very disappointed that my original question "would ask if a continuous length of R9 is acceptable?" has not been responded to.

Looks to have been very well responded to, to me? All of the above is saying 'no', even if the IVA manual says it's OK....

shortcircuit

posted on 3/6/20 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for post but all I have is opinions on the use of flexible hose and not if running completely is acceptable
r1_pete

posted on 3/6/20 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think the message here is:

Yes stamped r9 end to end may be ok as far as IVA is concerned, there is a comprehensive manual which will tell you for sure.

But..

The collective years of experience here, who are trying to help you build a safe and reliable car say no, use rigid for the long runs.

A split line miles from home, or a fire, and that £100 and a day or two saved may not be the bargain it first seemed.

In the end its your car, build it how you wish.

[Edited on 3/6/20 by r1_pete]

[Edited on 3/6/20 by r1_pete]

jps

posted on 3/6/20 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for post but all I have is opinions on the use of flexible hose and not if running completely is acceptable

Acceptable to who? If you mean IVA - then look at the IVA manual. If that does not give you a definitive answer then to find out, you'll have to present it for IVA and see what the inspector says (which might vary from one inspector to the next).

OR ask on here, and you'll get the kind of responses/'opinions' you've had above....

[Edited on 3/6/20 by jps]

shortcircuit

posted on 3/6/20 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping to get a response from the depth of knowledge and experience but have simply got opinions about flexible tube and not about its installation.
Thanks again.

Daf

posted on 3/6/20 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was hoping to get a response from the depth of knowledge and experience but have simply got opinions about flexible tube and not about its installation.
Thanks again.

If opinions and experience aren't what you're after how about phoning your chosen IVA test center and speaking to a tester? Assuming they're back in work with the whole Covid situation.

They were very helpful in my experience.

shortcircuit

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much for that positive suggestion.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.