Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New arm for B&D powerfile
Slimy38

posted on 5/7/20 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
New arm for B&D powerfile

Good evening,

I've just been halted by my powerfile throwing it's belt. It wouldn't be too bad but it's done it because the roller bearing at the end of the arm has decided it no longer wants to be a separate part from the rest of the arm. So it's time to buy a new arm.

Thankfully they are considered consumable and really easy to find on the internet. However, I can also see a cranked arm available that I'm tempted to buy as well. Does anyone know if the cranked arm fits a standard powerfile, and if so does it use the same length belts?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 5/7/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Good evening,

I've just been halted by my powerfile throwing it's belt. It wouldn't be too bad but it's done it because the roller bearing at the end of the arm has decided it no longer wants to be a separate part from the rest of the arm. So it's time to buy a new arm.

Thankfully they are considered consumable and really easy to find on the internet. However, I can also see a cranked arm available that I'm tempted to buy as well. Does anyone know if the cranked arm fits a standard powerfile, and if so does it use the same length belts?



I've recently had to replace the arm on mine which is fine. Sorry I cannot help with an answer to your question but you might be able to help me. The belts I've been buying from Ebay are absolute rubbish and just snap. Do you have a supplier of quality belts? I'd love to know if you do.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 5/7/20 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Interested in knowing a good supplier of belts as i was just about to buy a pack on ebay.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 5/7/20 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
eBay Item

These are my current ones, not one of them has snapped.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 5/7/20 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
We get our belts from Advanced Welding in Kent (run by a chap called Paul Astins) https://advancedweldingkent.co.uk/ - belts are SIA.

We go through hundreds of them but I'm sure price is competitive. Tell him I sent you I you contact him

As for B&D powerfiles/arms we used to get though loads but would save them all up and get both the electric bits and arms replaces under warranty but they stopped that a few years back. There are plenty of better powerfiles out there for far less money. I like this that we get from here: https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Power_Files.html (and they do belts but no idea on quality). It's lower power but is quite small so whole thing fits inside some of our work if required and belt can be angles up or down etc.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 6/7/20 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
As for B&D powerfiles/arms we used to get though loads but would save them all up and get both the electric bits and arms replaces under warranty but they stopped that a few years back. There are plenty of better powerfiles out there for far less money. I like this that we get from here: https://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Power_Files.html (and they do belts but no idea on quality). It's lower power but is quite small so whole thing fits inside some of our work if required and belt can be angles up or down etc.


My powerfile has done me well, this is the first arm I'm having to replace since buying it in 2014! Then again, I've only bought maybe 50-60 belts total, so I'm guessing I'm not a heavy user.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 6/7/20 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
eBay Item

These are my current ones, not one of them has snapped.



Many thanks for the link and recommendation. I've just ordered a pack.

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 6/7/20 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just to close up the thread, I contacted the Ebay seller and the cranked arms fit the powerfile fine, and the belts are the same. So all good, I order both straight and cranked.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.