Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Column Shroud ?
Deckman001

posted on 10/7/20 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Column Shroud ?

Hi all,

I have decided to not use the Std Sierra shroud as it doesn't look good due to not covering the top of the column and exposes the wiring to the std switches I'm using.
What have other people used to cover this, or have I a fundamental mistake with my car ?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Jason

steve m

posted on 10/7/20 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mine Jason, was a baked been tin, covered in green vinyl

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 10/7/20 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, interesting idea Steve, I thought about plastic plant pots, but had thrown all of ours out during lock-down tidying so will have to buy some more plants if i choose that idea

Jason

J666AYP

posted on 10/7/20 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used a guttering connector on mine, could probably cut slits into one and slide over the stalks. Plus they are less than a quid each.

J

[Edited on 10/7/20 by J666AYP]

nick205

posted on 12/7/20 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Jason,

I had the same "top gap" issue between the Sierra shroud and my dash when building my MK Indy. I used the Sierra shroud and covered the gap with a bit of formed Ally sheet covered in black vinyl. If you look in my photo archive you'll find a photo.

[Edited on 12/7/20 by nick205]

CosKev3

posted on 12/7/20 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Rare and expensive now for unbroken sierra ones
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 12/7/20 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't made mine, but I have a bright pink vanish tub which looks the correct size
Deckman001

posted on 12/7/20 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply guys, I still have the original Sierra ones so just adding a sleeve might be a good idea, although am not sure i want to re-do my dash to incorporate it nicely But I think I might give that a go

Jason

joneh

posted on 13/7/20 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I found a baby milk tin was the right size. Looked good when wrapped in vinyl due to the ridges but then I gave up when I sourced a Sierra one.
nick205

posted on 13/7/20 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Cheers for the reply guys, I still have the original Sierra ones so just adding a sleeve might be a good idea, although am not sure i want to re-do my dash to incorporate it nicely But I think I might give that a go

Jason

For rference, I didn't "redo" the dash I'd made myself from plywood. The shroud "extra" is simply a section of Ally sheet metal formed slowly by hand into a U shape. I then used aerosol carpet glue to stick on black vinyl to match the dash. Either side of the U shape there are small black self-tapping screws used to secure it to the Sierra plastic shroud. The solution isn't jet-wash proof, but covered the gap and looked fine IMHO. From the drivers seat you couldn't really see it either.

Deckman001

posted on 13/7/20 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001

Jason

For rference, I didn't "redo" the dash I'd made myself from plywood. The shroud "extra" is simply a section of Ally sheet metal formed slowly by hand into a U shape. I then used aerosol carpet glue to stick on black vinyl to match the dash. Either side of the U shape there are small black self-tapping screws used to secure it to the Sierra plastic shroud. The solution isn't jet-wash proof, but covered the gap and looked fine IMHO. From the drivers seat you couldn't really see it either.

Ohhh, that's even easier, well it's your fault i was mistaken, you did such a good job on yours, it looked like it was a work of art !!

Jason

tims31

posted on 14/7/20 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I made one out of ali sheet bent to shape and covered with vinyl but my recent post on 3D printers has got me thinking about printing one if possible.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.