Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interesting to see how this turns out.
StrikerChris

posted on 23/7/20 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting to see how this turns out.

Don't know if anyones familiar with B is for Build youtube channel. Its basically an optamistic Guy in america who started fixing up accident write offs, some of which are very high end. His workmanship on the other end isn't,and at times just plain dangerous.
Anyway, he's now moved on to making a single seater from scratch with non of Colin Chapmans values by the first look.

Link

Worth a watch if you're ever bored on a night shift like me anyway!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 26/7/20 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
there seem to be lot,s of Mericans that build / repair like that, i suppose they dont get too much of a safety check

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 26/7/20 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I watched the first episode and quite enjoyed it. However I was also cringing when I realised he's using 4x2 steel for the upper chassis rail, then adding extra steel. The rear subframe looks like it's solid 10mm something heavy. The chassis appears to have a point designed to hit anything the front subframe just missed.

Someone needs to introduce him to European cars in the 60s and 70s for the chassis design.

NuZil

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Great, another youtube channel I'll subscribe to.

As theconrodkid said, many folks on that side of the pond seem to have a freedom loving approach to build standards.

Slimy38

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely an interesting mix of ideas, I'd be interested to see the eventual kerb weight of this single seater!

Then again, aren't Cobras based around the idea of a couple of substantial rails front to back and then everything else hanging off there?

I have one question for the more knowledgeable on here, I didn't think a multi-section roll bar was a good idea? The various race regs here in the UK suggest a bent bar of a certain grade if I understand it correctly.

He's also done well to make a very complex roll cage with almost no triangulation. In fact, if it lands upside down I can see a couple of the bars actually working to collapse the structure rather than reinforce it!

NuZil

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
The fella has decent fabrication skills, but do you reckon he's ever seen a racing car or a lightweight sports car ?
NuZil

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Definitely an interesting mix of ideas, I'd be interested to see the eventual kerb weight of this single seater!

Then again, aren't Cobras based around the idea of a couple of substantial rails front to back and then everything else hanging off there?

I have one question for the more knowledgeable on here, I didn't think a multi-section roll bar was a good idea? The various race regs here in the UK suggest a bent bar of a certain grade if I understand it correctly.

He's also done well to make a very complex roll cage with almost no triangulation. In fact, if it lands upside down I can see a couple of the bars actually working to collapse the structure rather than reinforce it!

The roll hoop (which isn't a hoop) has multiple points of failure built in.

That already well equipped workshop needs a tube bender.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/7/20 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
If your watch the video here had a tube bender, even promotes it. Just doesn't use it.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/7/20 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NuZil
The fella has decent fabrication skills, but do you reckon he's ever seen a racing car or a lightweight sports car ?

I think he's seen the batmobile

Slimy38

posted on 26/7/20 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
If your watch the video here had a tube bender, even promotes it. Just doesn't use it.

yep, that hadn't escaped my attention!

NuZil

posted on 26/7/20 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit to having just scanned through the video earlier.

Surely the age old method of cutting a bit of ply to the desired profile and going from there would work fine.

steve m

posted on 27/7/20 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Does any one else think that the chassis seems to be very long ?

and the suspension is awful

And to liken it to anything of Colin Chapmans, they should be hung, Colin was a very talented innovator the bloke in
the video, just seems to want to weld Very heavy metal to very heavy metal, and he will need a very poweful V8 to lug the weight about

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.