Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 Unibody removal
Replicar328

posted on 8/9/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 Unibody removal

Hi,

I'm tearing down a Mk2 1.6 MX5 to use the drivetrain in my 'locost' oldtimer replica. Dash out, seats out, most of the wiring out, brake servo, pedals etc all relatively easy to remove. Now getting to the difficult bits: Removing steering column, exhaust system etc.

Does anyone living near Staines/Egham have a bit of spare time to come to my shed and talk me through what else needs to come off? There is ample online advice about how to lift off the unibody, but not a lot of detail about everything that needs to be removed first. I'd rather not discover I've overlooked something when I'm actually trying to lift the unibody! If you done it yourself, you are sure to know :-)

Any useful links also much appreciated

Thanks
Adrian

Deckman001

posted on 8/9/20 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on the Project Diary section as there is a video there doing what you want to do

Jason

ianhurley20

posted on 8/9/20 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Have a look on the Project Diary section as there is a video there doing what you want to do

Jason

Had a look and not immediatly obvious - or maybe I am blind - can you be abit more precise - please

40inches

posted on 8/9/20 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:

Jason

Had a look and not immediatly obvious - or maybe I am blind - can you be abit more precise - please

This one? https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/66/viewthread.php?tid=217361

Replicar328

posted on 9/9/20 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for this video. It's entertaining and I've learnt a fair bit from it but if I'm being critical, it lacks some of the detail I really need. Nice to see I can apparently leave the exhaust system on, and I know I will regret having been a bit cavalier with removing the wiring.

The best link I have found is https://catfishbuild.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/miata-removing-the-uni-body-from-the-ppf/
There are a number of pages showing the sequence - links at the top left and right of the text. The photos showing the location of the 22 bolts you need to remove are especially helpful.

I'm trying to do this all with just two hands! If there is anyone else around in Surrey who's doing the same I'd welcome getting together. Shared knowledge and four hands would be nice!

Slimy38

posted on 9/9/20 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
If you're only you and no-one else I'd strongly recommend removing absolutely everything you can. Just from the point of view of getting it as light as possible to remove it. I did it on my own and even with everything removed it was still hard work. It also makes it easier to take the subframe out from underneath, or take the unibody away. Less things to catch on.

To be honest, the actual fixing bolts are the last thing to be an issue. For me the main problems were the suspension points and the lambda sensor. The former was because the top mounts go into the bodywork, so you need to either brace the suspension somehow or have the subframes sat on something before you lift.

The latter was just because I'd missed it and I heard the 'ping' as I apparently tried to lift the entire subframe up with the sensor wiring!!!

Some random photos;

http://slimyroadster.blogspot.com/2013/09/we-have-lift-off.html

[Edited on 9/9/20 by Slimy38]

jps

posted on 9/9/20 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Having never seen a stripped MX5 before, is there anything substantial to the part which connects the front and back subframes? It seems a bit excessive to have that, given there's the monocoque/uni-body. I presume it doesn't provide structural integrity independently of the 'bodyshell'?
gremlin1234

posted on 9/9/20 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
if you want a really detailed hands on video guide for disassembly and rebuild of an mx5 I recommend looking at
www.howacarworks.com
full access to all vids costs £20,

here's a link to the vids he has release free...
https://www.youtube.com/c/HowaCarWorks/videos

note not all the vids are as good as this promo one...

Slimy38

posted on 10/9/20 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Having never seen a stripped MX5 before, is there anything substantial to the part which connects the front and back subframes? It seems a bit excessive to have that, given there's the monocoque/uni-body. I presume it doesn't provide structural integrity independently of the 'bodyshell'?

It's fairly rigid, but you're correct in that it doesn't provide proper structural integrity. It's more to improve the connection and alignment between the gearbox and the diff, something about improving the 'feel' of the car. When it's removed (or even when it's replaced but not correctly aligned) it can make the car feel 'yucky'.

From memory cars like the Mev range retain the PPF and it's characteristics, whereas using an MX5 as a donor in a seven usually dispenses with the subframes and replaces the PPF with it's own chassis.

ianhurley20

posted on 10/9/20 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:

Jason

This one? https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/66/viewthread.php?tid=217361

Many thanks 40inches-and deckman- not seen this one before - just about to start on a 1.8 Mk2 and although this will be my second its always good to see some different ways of doing the job

[Edited on 10/9/20 by ianhurley20]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 10/9/20 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've done this twice to mk1 mx5s. I lifted the uni body up on 4 substantial stack of concrete blocks. Then took the engine and trans out together. Rear subframe, tank, interior, doors off. I then cut the body up into about 6 pieces (both Rag tops) and took them to the tip in the back of my pickup.

In summary I removed everything from the uni body rather than removing the uni body from the rest of the car.

Hope that makes sense?!

[Edited on 10/9/20 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.