Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one know someone with/had Cov1d 19 ???
steve m

posted on 21/9/20 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Any one know someone with/had Cov1d 19 ???

Hi all

I ask the question, and am being deadly serious, as i found out earlier, that my ex Brother in law, and a close family friend, who both "were"
working at Funeral Directers in different parts of West Sussex, as the demand for their services, are no longer needed, sacked, or laid off, its still the same ending

Both given similar reasons, that the expected demand, did not manifest itself

I found the first one, very very strange, as my ex BIL has done this for 5 ish years, a job he enjoyed doing ?????? not for me !!

But to find two people i know "in the business" both laid off work within a week, i find this extremely odd

I am shielding, due health problems, and will continue to do so,

Just wonder what my friends on here think

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 21/9/20 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well, we lose around 500-550,000 a year on average, so I doubt 2020 figures will actually look a great deal different to that as the vast majority of Covid deaths in the early part of the year were old or ill people who probably weren't going to live the year out - if funeral directors were taking on extra staff then I think they'll have been sadly disappointed so far.

With the lack of treatment of many cancer patients & many others with non immediately life threatening illnesses, plus the fact that you are simply unable to book a Dr.'s appointment now unless you are actually dying on the spot; I suspect demand may be much higher in subsequent years

In answer to your Q I know one person who has defo had it, antibody test +ve (aged around 55 in good health) he said it was like a nasty bout of flu, knocked him off his feet for a couple of days, & 2 other possible cases who've not had antibody tests & weren't tested earlier in the year. one around 60 took him out of circulation for about a week & one late 20's obese, but didn't really have much in the way of problems with it, just high fever & dry cough

If you're at risk then obviously doing the right thing in shielding, but for the rest of society, maybe if they could all stop acting like dickheads pretending it's gone away, we could get back to having some sort of life

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 21/9/20 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Two friends have had it, both ended up in intensive care, both had strokes. One 44, one 47. No health conditions prior (ok, one was a stone or two over weight).

Two more friends had it. Both very late thirties and very fit (run, play sport every week etc). Both described it as the worst flu they've had. Knocked them out for a week each. Proven by having the antibody test later (so it's possible they just had a bad flu and caught it another time then was asymptomatic).

Slightly concerned for my "turn" & fingers crossed I'm asymptomatic.

Regarding deaths, I'd anticipate a bumper winter but imagine it's "quiet" now with lots of people having died early. I also wonder if the limits on funerals is having an effect - less need for multiple cars, people not working buying cheaper funerals?

[Edited on 22/9/20 by MikeR]

gremlin1234

posted on 21/9/20 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect its more that they cannot organize lavish funerals, just restricted to a few mourners.

edit:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-54234511
Coronavirus: Six challenging months for undertakers

[Edited on 21/9/20 by gremlin1234]

steve m

posted on 21/9/20 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Although i echo, the lack of people allowed to attend a funeral, My Brother in law, (ex) said, that this year has been the quietest he has known
in the 5 years hes been in the Funeral business, and in the past had more than 5 Funerals a day to work at/with with in the past, some days they have only had one, yet employed more staff this year, to deal with the crisis, but have now reduced the numbers to less than half, that they had 5 years ago

There could be a lot of Funerals being conducted with out any one there,

Perhaps the Funeral trade has increased significantly due to demand

I had an Aunt who on her death certificate says she died of Coveid, but her Daughter is fighting this, as My Aunt was in a very poor health, before she ever got to the Care home, and only stayed there 5 days before dying

Now if i am listening to the news, (i do) the North is pretty close to a lockdown, yet London, one of the most heavily populated Capitals in Europe is not even on the radar and the figures, are very low compared to the rest of the country,

I dont think we are being told the truth,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Irony

posted on 21/9/20 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've had it. Well I think I have. My little boy came down with a very high temperature, a cough and was generally quite ill. He's 3. I slept on his bedroom floor for most of the night. A week later I started feeling bad. High temperature and a bad chest. For me the kicker was the sore throat/swollen glands. Swallowing was like being kicked in the neck. Broken glass in the throat. If my symptoms had gotten worse local hospital was on standby to pick me up. However I started feeling better. This about the 30th March with no tests available back then.

Keep yourselves safe, it was horrible and extremely frightening to turn the telly on and hear the death count. I have two boys 6 and 3.

Mrs was more or less asymptomatic. She has the all the nursing ability of a brown bear to boot.

Again, keep yourselves safe.

paulf

posted on 21/9/20 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Well not proven but i had the worst flu symptoms I have ever had in early December and now looking back i had all the exact symptoms of covid but strangely did not pass it on to family, it took a few weeks until i felt well again.I have recently seen instances in the press of people having it late December and suspect it may have been here in December.
Paul.

roadrunner

posted on 21/9/20 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well I don't know anyone that's had it.
I'm not surprised though with where I live in North Lincolnshire.
Can't imagine that it won't be long before I know someone who will get it the way positive tests are going.
Keep safe all. &#129310;

Deckman001

posted on 21/9/20 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I know three friends who have had it they think, around march they had serious flu symptoms that they have never had before, but thankfully they got over it within a week, also my sons household of group friends probably had it too seeing as one of them is a nurse who had tested positive and they had all felt bad for a couple of days, these youngsters ( mid 20's) kept away from everyone and worked from home prior to getting the symptoms so it must have come back with the nurse.
I sadly travel around the southeast most of the time and including in and out of London, But i do my best to keep away from other people while travelling even when on trains or busses.

It does make me angry though seeing people who refuse to wear their masks apart from when they pass an official on public transport

Jason

Sam_68

posted on 21/9/20 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I know three people who have had it: one hospitalised.
SteveWalker

posted on 21/9/20 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I know 4 and of more. Of the 4, one in his late 20s felt absolutely awful for a week and weak and tired for a couple more, one in his 50s has been ill for a fortnight so far, one in her early 60s died and the fourth is a child in my son's class who has just had it confirmed - we are awaiting the results of a test on my son, as he has been unwell and had a temperature over the weekend. We really hope he has not got it, as he is bound to pass it to his two brothers and it will be pretty well impossible for myself and my wife to avoid it ... with me having health conditions that put me at higher risk and my wife officially being classed as vulnerable.
JC

posted on 22/9/20 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
My Daughter has had it - she was unwell (heavy flu-like) for around 10-14 days - an an NHS worker she had an antibody test which confirmed this.
My Son has identical, but more sever symptoms at the same time. They live away from us but both visited for my 50th, the week before lockdown....yes I have guilt.
My wife had similar symptoms just after they visited, including loss of smell, taste...She self isolated from me in the house!

I had nothing. I had a ‘finger prick’ antibody test for work and nothing showed up on that....

[Edited on 22/9/20 by JC]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 22/9/20 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
2 friends (a couple) had it. One had very mild symptoms and the other couldn't shake it off and needed ICU support. His service and wake was yesterday.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swanny

posted on 22/9/20 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
friend of ours had it, elderly neighbours son and daughter both had it, close friend is an ICU sister, (20 years plus in ICU) saw plenty of it. exhausted both physically and emotionally by the strain of it all. other friends in the NHS so traumatised by it that they will leave the NHS once this is over.

its hard for us to take things seriously when we don't have any direct experience of it, and the luck of the draw means that some of us may go all through this and not know anyone with it, while others lose several family members.

adithorp

posted on 22/9/20 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've had it*. Worse than any flu I've ever had and different. So much fluid on my lungs it felt like drowning at times. Worst 3 nights I went to bed thinking, if this is any worse in the morning I'm calling an ambulance. One of those nights I even lift the back door on the catch so they'd be able to get in. Fortunately it felt slightly better when I woke up each time.

My girlfriend who's a surgeon, had all here clinics/ops cancelled, was working on covid wards instead. She's now back, trying to catch up and has already had patients who's disease has progressed and beyond being curable.

*Wasn't tested but given symptoms and I'd just returned from Italy/France...

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ianhurley20

posted on 22/9/20 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a member of the EAKCC, one guy who is retired got it and died, his son got it as well with the same result. Thankfully no one else I know has caught it.

robinsoncrusoe55

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mom in law was sent into hospital dehydrated ..... caught Covid 19 in there..... they sent here to a care home to recuperate..... care home phoned an ambulance to take her to hospital- while the delivering ambulance was still there.
Was phoned numerous times whilst she was in hospital to say that she had less than a couple of hours to live.....
But the choice was to fully gown and mask and not be identifiable, and spend the last hour(s), with her ....and if this was done, then to self isolate, and potentially miss her funeral .....

She died alone .....

At funeral, restricted numbers and no wake.

Yesterday a work colleague was telling me Covid 19 wasn't real, and only a conspiracy theory .... strange thoughts till he heard these details.

I work in retail and customers moan about wearing a protective mask for 30 mins !

Keep safe all ..... It's just the worst thing.

stevebubs

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Well not proven but i had the worst flu symptoms I have ever had in early December and now looking back i had all the exact symptoms of covid but strangely did not pass it on to family, it took a few weeks until i felt well again.I have recently seen instances in the press of people having it late December and suspect it may have been here in December.
Paul.

So did I in Jan/Feb. Had the antibody test and it came back negative...

Memphis

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I had it in February. Milder than a mild cold, although it did make me very tired for a day or two. Had the antibody test and came back positive.
Slimy38

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
My mom had to go in for cancer removal and got tested as a matter of course, turns out both her and her boyfriend had antibodies. The last time they were ill was in December and with similar symptoms as mentioned below, a really bad flu that had them basically knocked out for a few days. That's when they think they had it but no way of knowing for sure. They could have had it later and been asymptomatic.

My wife and my son have both been tested after having symptoms, both came back negative. So we're just waiting our 'turn' so to speak. We all have bad flu over the winter anyway, I can time it almost to the day when I will have to take a day or two off. My wife does the flu jab to reduce it's effects now.

(oh, and the cancer got removed with the expectation of full recovery, so I'm counting my blessings twice on that one!)

Slimy38

posted on 22/9/20 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis
I had it in February. Milder than a mild cold, although it did make me very tired for a day or two. Had the antibody test and came back positive.

How do you get an antibody test? I don't have symptoms so I'm not going to cause a burden on the already stretched service, but I would be interested to know whether my December seasonal flu was possibly a bit more than normal.

Memphis

posted on 22/9/20 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Memphis

How do you get an antibody test? I don't have symptoms so I'm not going to cause a burden on the already stretched service, but I would be interested to know whether my December seasonal flu was possibly a bit more than normal.

I paid for mine via an online clinic to which I was already a client. It was £100 but I thought well worth it to know. That was in April, and shortly after that the government stopped people getting private antibody tests. I think that either Boots or Superdrug are now doing the tests again, but this could change at the drop of a hat, knowing the government's track record.

swanny

posted on 22/9/20 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
heard on the radio this morning examples of patients having caught it more than once. (tested both times, and DNA found to be different both times)
only individual cases at the moment though so could just be a rare anomaly.

SteveRST

posted on 22/9/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, my mum caught it early on in March. This was before lockdown and when the daily deaths were less than 10 per day. Her symptoms were extreme tiredness all day, no appetite, and a high temperature. No cough. She wasn't even sure if she had it to be honest, and her GP didn't seem to think it was CV-19.
Advice at the time was just to self isolate, there was no testing at that stage. So she just stayed indoors alone for 2 weeks and did not get better. Eventually the cough symptom came and breathing became difficult. She phoned her GP who called an ambulance for her. She was taken to hospital by ambulance and was able to phone me and my brother before being sedated and put on a ventilator. I think she expected to be in overnight.
She was on ventilation in an unconscious state for 6 days before she died on 2nd April.

She was a very active 70 year old with no pre-existing health conditions.

I also have a friend of mine, a 38 year old woman, who also got CV-19 early on in March. It completely drained her and she was also confined to her bed, and didn't have the energy to do anything. Her recovery has been extremely slow and she is still suffering now with extreme tiredness, weakness, and breathlessness.

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Four deaths of friends or business contacts , two of them were relatively young, add another relatively young person who was quite severly ill but not hosptalised and months later is still not back to full health.

[Edited on 22/9/20 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.