Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Taking a shed to bits
Benzine

posted on 30/11/20 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Taking a shed to bits

I've got a large shed that needs taking apart. It's made of 4x2 stud wall sections with 21mm ply board sheets covering. This is a heavy beast and very well built (can jump up and down on the roof).

Trouble is the ply has been fixed with 90mm ring shank paslode nails and I'm worried I'll wreck every sheet of ply which I don't want to do (especially with today's prices! )

Anyone got any tips for nail removal? Heads of all are visible but about 5mm below surface. Some kind of small hole saw to go round them? Borrow giant electro magnet from the local scrapyard?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 30/11/20 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Air hacksaw might sneak between the sheets and cut the nails if access from the side is possible, or use a slitting disc into the 4x2 to only leave a short portion of shank holding the sheet if the 4x2 is otherwise scrap, it'll deffo be smoky work though.

The hole saw idea might work if you use a plug cutter with an internal slightly bigger than the nailhead, you might need to make a guide for the cutter to start the hole each time, they like to chatter when used freehand.

Dave

lsdweb

posted on 30/11/20 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Small pry bar - will make a small hole but shouldn't ruin the board.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-pry-bar-8-/8640V?tc=JA9&ds_kid=92700055262507126&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzZL-BRDnARIsAPCJs716z24F 3jXlZxElA27P8gW6QnEV6YJx0Syi4jGGWHFLA3daA-RUl90aAvjzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

James

posted on 30/11/20 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you have multi-cutter you should be able to cut 'between' the ply and the joist from underneath although I suspect it would be slow work going through the nail.

I would try the small pry bar as suggested by lsdweb but I think you might be disappoined by how much damage it does- I've just attempted something similar with T&G floor boards I wanted to remove without smashing and even being super careful I ended but with a c.20mm dent all around the nail.

I would be very tempted by the small hole saw idea.

Let us know how it goes.

KR,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Smoking Frog

posted on 30/11/20 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bang them loose from the inside using a big hammer and piece of timber to spread the load. Cut the nail using angle grinder and cutting disc.
jacko

posted on 30/11/20 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sand the head off with a belt sander then knock the sheets of from inside the shed
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 30/11/20 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Could you punch nail heads through the ply into the studs?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

BenB

posted on 1/12/20 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I tried doing something similar once. A multi/uni tool did about 2 nails per blade. In the end I got some long fine tooth blades for a reciprocating saw and that worked a lot better though I did snap one when I tried to bend it too much!!! Pry the wall slightly away, slip in the blade and let rip. Then bang out the nail heads and bonk in the nail shank (better than trying to remove them all!!)
nick205

posted on 1/12/20 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smoking Frog
Bang them loose from the inside using a big hammer and piece of timber to spread the load. Cut the nail using angle grinder and cutting disc.

I'd start like this to loosen the nails in the 4x2 and then use a claw hammer to pull the nails out from the outside. If you use a bit of scrap wood between the claw hammer and the ply sheet it'll spread the load and minimise any dent left in the ply sheet by the claw hammer head. A steady and time consuming job, but you'll also be able to reuse the ply sheets and avoid £££ new ply sheet cost.

On this sort of project I've had "helpers" before. In reality I actually find it easier to work alone as it allows me to get a better rythm and routine to the work (and a better overall result).

A further thought...

How far do you need to strip it down?

Can you break it into sections and move the sections?

Less time and effort.

[Edited on 1/12/20 by nick205]

Benzine

posted on 1/12/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

A further thought...

This might actually work well... roof off and then keep the 4 stud wall sections with their ply on still

nick205

posted on 1/12/20 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Thanks for all the replies

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

A further thought...

This might actually work well... roof off and then keep the 4 stud wall sections with their ply on still

Sounds like a plan

a mate has just built a similarly constructed workshop at the end of his garden. He built it in sections closer to the house, then he and another guy carried the sections down the garden to the concrete base.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.