Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Work
jacko

posted on 3/1/21 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Work

So who is back to work tomorrow if just had 10 days off and could do with the same again
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 3/1/21 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm back to work on building sites tomorrow, so fingers crossed I'll still keep away from the covid as I work and visit sites across London and the south east mostly :-(

Jason

SteveWalker

posted on 3/1/21 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, work tomorrow. However, I have been working from home since March and unlike some, it suits me.

Instead of getting up at 07:00, showering and getting ready and then driving to work for an 8:15 start, then leaving at 15:50 to beat the traffic and avoid a half-hour jam getting off the business park, I can get up at 09:00, be working immediately, shower at lunchtime, and work 'til 16:45 when I'd normally arrive home. So two extra hours of sleep, no stressful rush-hour commute, £120 a week saving in commuting costs and lunchtime snacks, far fewer disturbances. So far I have not only been running ahead of schedule, but taking on work from other team members who are not doing so well. I am also there for any deliveries, making life a whole lot easier and have the flexibility to work a couple of hours in an evening (when the office would be shut) to allow an earlier finish at the weekend.

I would not want to continue working exclusively from home, but one day a week or one a fortnight in the office would suit me fine!

I am hoping this past year has been a wake-up call for management that has always managed by clocking in and out times and observing how much time you spend chatting to each other, that managing by productivity works well and allows for home working, without constant monitoring. I have long been an advocate of home working, but too many companies have been against it. However at Christmas, the company let the lease on the offices expire and a far smaller number of hot desks are being provided in another of their offices (only 200 yds away), so I think that they have got the idea at last.

[Edited on 3/1/21 by SteveWalker]

daviep

posted on 3/1/21 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
I just had my first "Brexit" experience! Almost deported from Schipol while travelling to Norway for work. After 1.5hrs with immigration officer (who was very polite and helpful) I'm on my way again. I guess things were never going to go 100% smoothly but I hope this is not an indication of the future.

Happy New year everyone

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

steve m

posted on 3/1/21 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I havnt worked since last March, and i suppose i could call it retirement, and i would like to work, but am not going to mix with anyone, as shielding

However My daughter in law, who is a PA for a few "construction business" Directors, has worked from home since March, and initially she hated it, but has now got into the whole process, She reckons she is saving near on 15k a year, in Fuel Car parking, Railfare into london, lunch with colleages etc etc
Also shes not fatigued all the time as in getting up at 0500, and sometimes getting home around 2000, and doing that 5 days a week, must be incredibly draining
But my Son is still traveling into London daily, as he cant project manage from home

As Steve W, said, i do hope employers wake up to these new way of going about Business, as it plainly obvious that shoveling thousands of people every day into and out of London, but applies to all large Cities, is no longer required, Hot desking should be the norm, as should working from home were applicable, and perhaps rotas of people home working or office based be introduced, thus sharing the pain of commuting only a couple of days a week

This should also reduce traffic, and that will help with pollution, this has to be a win win win scenario

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

SJ

posted on 3/1/21 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, back at work for me, but from home. Wish they would lift restrictions and let me travel again. Really missing some international travel.
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/1/21 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Public holiday tomorrow, back after that. Saying that I'm still working from home and can see that continuing well into summer. I've even asked the regional manager and the CEO for clarity on continuing to work from home after covid but they couldn't tell me. In some ways working from home is great but it is starting to feel very disconnected Especially now most don't even use their camera's, claiming bandwidth issues so its just voices over the phone. It's hard to be part of anything like this.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ADH75

posted on 3/1/21 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Still on annual leave until Monday 11th although have been on call. Current situation has made no difference to our household as the other half is a nurse & I work in IT for another "blue light" organisation.

Been in work every day, but some in my team are working from home, but we're all spread out to avoid taking out the entire team. At times its absolutely "mental" as I'm the inly one onsite some days and projects don't stop. That and the fact half my time is taken up configuring laptops for folk to work from home.

Although we've already had COVID in our house due to a positive patient taking out 10 staff on other half's ward (including her), it was hell trying to work from home, its not for me. I also appreciate the difficulties and strain on ICT departments trying allow home working and many, many jobs simply cannot be done from home. Other side of the coin is there are folk who can and aren't allowed and others like the member of our IT dept that refuses to stop travelling around the country! We already feel like potential "super spreaders" doing necessary trips, without team leader visiting staff instead of Teams calls.

Good luck & health to those returning tomorrow, I'm just enjoying the time off before the madness starts again for me.

[Edited on 3/1/21 by ADH75]

Slater

posted on 3/1/21 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I've been working from home since March and really miss the folk from work and the crack, looks like this won't be changing in the near future. I'm on call 24/7/365 too, but don't get too many calls.

However......Positive points:
More time with family/kids.
I get to see all the full seasons (I normally miss chunks of the UK seasons when spending 1 month in Africa).
I can do the work whenever it suits me.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

nick205

posted on 3/1/21 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Back to work tomorrow since 23rd December. Still working from home so pretty COVID safe.

My 3 kids are secondary school age so it's 2 weeks home schooling for them. I suspect things may well change during that time and the period may be extended.

My longest friend of 40 years recently lost his father to COVID. Hard Christmas and New Year for his family and a real shame not to be able to spend some face to face time with him.

Strange times continue!

perksy

posted on 3/1/21 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Back on Tuesday

Contacted by NHS Track & Trace on Christmas day and had to isolate until January 2nd, So its been a bl**dy great Christmas here

roadrunner

posted on 3/1/21 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Should be back at work tomorrow but started coughing yesterday and awoke this morning with flu like symptoms.
Had the test late morning so can't start work until I have the results

swanny

posted on 3/1/21 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

As Steve W, said, i do hope employers wake up to these new way of going about Business, as it plainly obvious that shoveling thousands of people every day into and out of London, but applies to all large Cities, is no longer required, Hot desking should be the norm, as should working from home were applicable, and perhaps rotas of people home working or office based be introduced, thus sharing the pain of commuting only a couple of days a week
steve

the university i work for (not student facing) is planning pretty much the above, although in fairness it is bringing forward its agile working plans as a result of covid. we arent planning on being back in the office till easter at the earliest, and we'll probably only be in 2-3 days per week long term.

working from home is good for me, but I'm missing visiting partners. cant wait to get back on the road a bit

Slimy38

posted on 3/1/21 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm back tomorrow after a much-needed 3 week break, but as with others here I've been working from home since early last year. We got a company update at the end of last year where they said they're not even considering opening the offices until February, and even then it will only be for the Covid team to put the required conditions in place. It could be much longer before we're allowed to go back in any decent numbers. Since my contract is up in May I'm not expecting to see any of my workmates in person again .

My son is back at school, but my daughter has been notified that her college is working over Teams so I'm currently trying to figure out how to get her wired up. She's done a couple of calls over Zoom but she needs something a bit more substantial for actual lectures.

adithorp

posted on 3/1/21 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I'm back at work in the morning.

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I just had my first "Brexit" experience! Almost deported from Schipol while travelling to Norway for work. After 1.5hrs with immigration officer (who was very polite and helpful) I'm on my way again. I guess things were never going to go 100% smoothly but I hope this is not an indication of the future.

Happy New year everyone

Cheers
Davie

What was the issue?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

joneh

posted on 4/1/21 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Back today, but only been in a handful of times since March. I don't think we'll all go back full time given how well working from home is working and how much money the company can save shutting a few offices.

I only need to visit customer sites infrequently as I'm mainly a paper work monkey now, however the engineers need to go to site. We have remote access to everything so most tests are executed remotely or on AWS.

daviep

posted on 4/1/21 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Yes I'm back at work in the morning.

quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Happy New year everyone

Cheers
Davie

What was the issue?

I didn't have a work permit for working in Norway, I don't need one but the Dutch immigration were unclear on how the Norwegian rules applied to me and getting confirmation on a Sunday 3 days after Brexit and New Year was obviously a recipe for disaster, in the end Dutch immigration called my employer and accepted their word that I was allowed to enter Norway.

I've now done 3 covid tests in 3 days I need to do another in 7 days, and I need to stay in quarantine hotel for 10days. Then I can go to work!

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

steve m

posted on 4/1/21 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair Davie, it sounds like you have taken a sensible view, As in Xmas holidays, Covid and Brexit, and the weekend!

I think just one of them would of caused some hassle, but all together, a bit of a nightmare for you, and i imagine an awful lot of others

I know a Girl Friends, Mother, is unable to go back to her home in Spain, due all the above, shes been here for a few weeks , and has been given no information, as to when she can go home, and She is Dual nationality Irish/Spanish !

steve

[Edited on 4/1/21 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

roadrunner

posted on 5/1/21 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Got my results back from the covid test.
Have to self isolate now for 10 day's.
On the upside I can spend some time on the car

joneh

posted on 5/1/21 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Got my results back from the covid test.
Have to self isolate now for 10 day's.
On the upside I can spend some time on the car

Well that sucks. Good that it's mild enough that you get some car time though.

Can I ask how you actually feel? I've been lucky enough to never have had flu or a severe cold.

roadrunner

posted on 5/1/21 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have a persistent cough and have flu like symptoms which is aches and pains. Skin and muscles feel sensitive.
I'm not suffering with a temperature though and still have my sense of taste and smell.

joneh

posted on 5/1/21 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds grim, hope you feel better soon.
roadrunner

posted on 5/1/21 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks.
So do I.

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/1/21 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I have a persistent cough and have flu like symptoms which is aches and pains. Skin and muscles feel sensitive.
I'm not suffering with a temperature though and still have my sense of taste and smell.

That sounds perfectly normal if you have young kids, often accompanied by pounding headaches and a compulsion to strangle someone

roadrunner

posted on 5/1/21 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I know that feeling
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.