Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yaris or Clio
smart51

posted on 9/6/21 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yaris or Clio

Third in a set of 3 threads about the missus' blown up car. She's narrowed the replacement down to a Yaris Hybrid vs a Clio Hybrid. She's driven both can't pick between them.

The Clio has a bigger boot, looks nicer inside and out and has folding wing mirrors. The Yaris has the better hybrid system (it can do 80 in EV mode) has better MPG and the warranty extends by 1 year each time you have an approved dealer service it. Carwow has them at the same price. Even the dealers are on the same road.

I don't ever have to drive it, but I do have to look after it. Which would you pick and why?

adithorp

posted on 9/6/21 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yaris.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

perksy

posted on 9/6/21 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yaris

Mrs P had a Clio and that's why I've said Yaris

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/6/21 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yaris
perksy

posted on 9/6/21 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
There's a theme forming here
ianhurley20

posted on 9/6/21 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Never the 'diamond of death' as they are known in the trade so

Yaris

AntonUK

posted on 9/6/21 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
yaris, there a few exceptions to the no French cars rule and a clio isnt on that list

Build Photos Here

snapper

posted on 10/6/21 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
GR Yaris, then you’ll drive it…

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

roadrunner

posted on 10/6/21 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yaris

roadrunner

posted on 10/6/21 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm still running a 1998 Toyota Rav 4.
It was stored in my late farther in laws garage for 3 years without being driven or started.
After charging the battery, it started as if it had been driven every day.

cliftyhanger

posted on 10/6/21 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
As above, get the yaris. I may have mentioned that in another of your posts..... (or a jazz. Just say no to anything French, and that sadly includes nissan stuff thesedays)
jelly head

posted on 10/6/21 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yaris
smart51

posted on 10/6/21 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
She's pretty much decided on a Yaris. thanks all.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/21 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
As above, get the yaris. I may have mentioned that in another of your posts..... (or a jazz. Just say no to anything French, and that sadly includes nissan stuff thesedays)

You know that Nissan builds in the UK?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 10/6/21 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

You know that Nissan builds in the UK?
I think he's implying that they've been infected by french carness since their tie up with Renault

nick205

posted on 10/6/21 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Never owned or driven either, but the theme seems strongly in favour of Yaris here

For me the French cars I've owned and enjoyed are Peugeot 205 GTI's (2x 1.6 and 1 x 1.9) + Peugeot 306 2.0 HDI.

The 306 wasn't a sporty car by any means, but reliable + enconomical and it just rattled on for a long long time. It did family duties for SWMBO + 3 kids for a good few years and caused me minimal cost/effort.

Aside from those I now see French cars as holiday hire cars really - cheap n' liveable for a couple of weeks.

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/21 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
We had a 406 diesel 2.0 auto estate for years, really loved driving it and tbh I was very sad to see it go. It was a very well sorted car and would have another in a second.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
McLannahan

posted on 10/6/21 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yaris - I think it'll have stronger resale values down the road too.
jelly head

posted on 10/6/21 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm balls deap in fixing various faults on a twingo at the moment, who thinks it's a good idea to bolt a drive shaft carrier to the exhaust manifold so you've got to pull a drive shaft to get the manifold off!
mcerd1

posted on 10/6/21 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jelly head
I'm balls deap in fixing various faults on a twingo at the moment, who thinks it's a good idea to bolt a drive shaft carrier to the exhaust manifold so you've got to pull a drive shaft to get the manifold off!

sound about right for Renault

the wife used to have an old clio (05 reg 1.2) from before we were together - but I ended up fixing it for years
such an old car its not really relevant to the new ones at all, but every job on it was a PITA one way or another – just big steaming pile of bad engineering choices

To cap it off had no power (0-60 best described as 'eventually' ), handled horribly and I couldn't get the seat low enough to stop hitting my head – but the biggest problem was it used no fuel and just wouldn’t die so the wife didn’t want to get rid !
in the end it needed new headlight lenses (to far gone to polish), a brake pipe or 2 and a broken spring - so I scrapped it just on the cost of the lights alone

and I say all that as someone who loved my old S1 Pug 106 (which was quicker despite even less power, handled better, had more headroom despite being smaller, and used even less fuel....)
If I could get a brand new version of an old Pug I'd be a happy man...

[Edited on 10/6/2021 by mcerd1]

-

smart51

posted on 10/6/21 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Toyota emailed the missus today saying thank you for taking a test drive, but with the stats "during your drive, you ran on electric only for 68% of the time and averaged 72 MPG". Apart from being a bit creepy that they were monitoring the drive, they're quite impressive numbers.
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/6/21 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Toyota emailed the missus today saying thank you for taking a test drive, but with the stats "during your drive, you ran on electric only for 68% of the time and averaged 72 MPG". Apart from being a bit creepy that they were monitoring the drive, they're quite impressive numbers.

That's just normal these days. Both my VW and even more my Nissan record everything and send it to the manufacturer.

Maybe I'm missing something but 72mpg seems really low considering 70% of the time was on battery. Most family sized EV's get 120mpg equivalent so on engine for only 40% of the time it must have been quite inefficient.

smart51

posted on 10/6/21 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by smart51

That's just normal these days. Both my VW and even more my Nissan record everything and send it to the manufacturer.

Maybe I'm missing something but 72mpg seems really low considering 70% of the time was on battery. Most family sized EV's get 120mpg equivalent so on engine for only 40% of the time it must have been quite inefficient.
I've got to call that out. Nothing on the road does 120 MPG.

Simon

posted on 10/6/21 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've got nothing but praise for the three Grand Espaces I had, though the last one p/x'd three weeks ago (against a 168bhp Insignia diesel estate) had over 104k miles and whilst reliable was starting to wear things out.

However, a friend had the last Yaris and both him and missus hated it; they just got the latest one and think it's fab.

ReMan

posted on 10/6/21 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Had 2 Yaris's (Yarii?) in the pst, good as gold, both went due to non fault accidents

Now running his and hers RAV4's can't say a bad word about them for what little maointeainace they had

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.