Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DUNE
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/21 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
DUNE

Yeah Dune

I have been waiting most of my life for this film, seriously I read the books (my dads) when I was a teen and could not be more excited to see it

If you've read all the books you'll realise just how crazy epic this story is, I use to think the first book was rather tame lol

And remember...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 15/10/21 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I'm also looking forward to it, although I want to watch Bond first.

The bit that I don't understand is that I enjoyed the older David Lynch Dune film, yet it's considered one of the worst films ever. Bearing in mind that I've never read the books, is it just because it strays so far from the original source?

mark chandler

posted on 15/10/21 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
It was long and incredibly boring, I loved the book - hated the film, it was terrible.

Now the life of Brian, we had to push past the local church protesters to see that one… it was great

[Edited on 15/10/21 by mark chandler]

Benzine

posted on 15/10/21 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a gr8 night planned. Dune on DVD, bakewell slices, gin and Sara Lee
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/10/21 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
The issue with the David Lynch film is that it was a 4 hour film edited to about 2 hours for the cinema. This combined with a very complex back story of the book, which you learn while working your way through them. Plus changing some key parts of the main plot, managed to both totally confuse people who hadn't read the books, but also pi%% off those that had!

There is a fan reworked version on YouTube you can watch for free that is almost the whole original uncut film and its actually rather good being so much closer to the book. However to understand Dune you need to read the other books. As is not about a white Messiah as those who know nothing about the story keep claiming.

roadrunner

posted on 15/10/21 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I liked the David Lynch film. Have it on VHS, DVD and Digital
Really looking forward to the new version also.
Not read the books though. Don't have time to sit and read, just look at the pictures

David Jenkins

posted on 16/10/21 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit that I have seen a few trailers for the new film - and I am VERY impressed with the cinematography!

However the first film only covers a small part of the book, apparently. Need to see how that works out.

snapper

posted on 16/10/21 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Yeah Dune

I have been waiting most of my life for this film, seriously I read the books (my dads) when I was a teen and could not be more excited to see it

If you've read all the books you'll realise just how crazy epic this story is, I use to think the first book was rather tame lol

And remember...

I read the original Dune trilogy a long time ago, loved it, then read most of Frank Herberts books until the rest of the Dune books came out, they were a harder read.
I would however recommend The Jesus Incident and a sequel called the Lazarus Affect

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Irony

posted on 19/10/21 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Is the David Lynch movie the one with Sting as Fade Harrkkkonnan?

ohh and Captain Picard as Gurney Halack? Can't believe I just pulled these character names out of my brain!

[Edited on 19/10/21 by Irony]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.