Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Composite body panel thickness
J666AYP

posted on 21/12/22 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Composite body panel thickness

Hi all,

Back after a long break. I'm looking into starting the buck/moulds for the supercharged project and im wondering what kind of thickness I should make the body.

My thoughts are 3 layers of matting but im unsure if this will be enough.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Jay

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/12/22 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Insufficient information.

Assumption: You're using glass fibre and polyester. Gelcoat, either polyester or vinylester, can be applied by brush or spray. Follow this with 2 layers of chopped strand mat (450g). over tissue if you're fussy, and that will give you enough rigidity for most light panels. An open weave instead of the 2nd chopped mat will give you a good result on large floppy things (like undertrays). Lantor Soric is your friend for stressed areas, such as seat mounting points and areas you might stand in (or on).
Laminate well, roller the mat and resin until your arm hurts, don't try it in the cold.

Carbon/diolene/whatever with epoxy is a little more complex as you start talking about hand lay or infusion with core materials. Fun, messy, but recently bloody expensive. Last batch of West epoxy was eye wateringly costly.

J666AYP

posted on 23/12/22 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate, was thinking about a carbon/FG or carbon/kevlar sandwich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.