Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removable Steering Wheel
Stuart Walker

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Removable Steering Wheel

Hi,

I failed SVA (one of many points...) on "Steering wheel to column attachment". I think the problem was the method of attachment of the column side of the removable boss kit onto the column. So my question is, has anyone passed SVA with a removable steering wheel, or does it have to be fixed?

And also, has anyone used the MAC#1 removable boss kit? And if so how have you attached it to the column? Welded on?

Cheers,
Stu

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnN

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I passed at shrewsbury, summer last year, with a removable steering wheel, however....
It was a "Snap Off" brand , which could be locked with a key to the column. The examiner simply required the two keys, Ignition & Snap Off, to be permanantly fixed on a common key ring, in order that you couldn't start the engine with the wheel removed (the snap off key is a captive key), or remove the wheel with the engine running. In my case I welded the spiral ring up.
The examiner warned that I shouldn't advise others that this was an acceptable solution, as he was unlikely to approve it in the future.

My advice would be to use the standard sierra? wheel for the test.......

Reading your post again, "the column side of the removable boss" mine was a sierra fitment, pentagon? shaped keyway, exactly the same as the original wheel, fitted to the column, the captive part of the "Snap Off" boss was then bolted to this via 6? or so small allen headed bolts, that are covered, when the wheel is fitted.
If the concern is for these 6 bolts, then it would be the same for most if not all ordinary (ie non removable) aftermarket wheels, as they all have the same fixing detail.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by JohnN]

nib1980

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
How have yopu attached it? got any pics?
DarrenW

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Gosforth failed my Sierra wheel on height. i had to fit my italian origin aftermarket wheel (SWM iirc, which was OK for radii etc etc) on a replacement collapsible boss.
I got the Italian wheel with a snap off kit (2nd hand). I was told that in no way could i use the removable boss. The only acceptable solution if i was not using the std OE type approved wheel was to used a non-removable collapsible boss.

The only downside to all of this is that the wheel does end up closer to driver, but i prefer this after been taught to keep the wheel closer on a rally course.

Stuart Walker

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment it's held on by the big blue bolt at the end and a nut and bolt through a small hole drilled through both (no pics unfortunately, and am not where the car is..).

Mine doesnt lock, so you could take it off while the engine was running. Not that I would do, but sounds like it might be best fit a standard one for now.

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart Walker

posted on 4/1/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was at Gosforth too Darren, so I'll assume I would be told the same. Standard wheel it is.

Thanks guys

zxrlocost

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
fit standard one
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

russbost

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
My car passed SVA with a removable Racetech steering wheel, which attaches with a pull-back collar. The "other half" is welded to the existing steering column. I queried with SVA b4 building whether there is any objection to a removeable wheel & was told there is not - so far as I recall there is nothing in the SVA manual regarding this. I guess it's just yet another example of different standards being applied by different stations, & yet another reason for fitting bits to pass the test that you have no intention of using.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Russ as I have a similar set up.
No queries from Mitcham SVA. The examiner (Michael) even had to remove/replace it for the test drive etc as it is impossible to get in or out without it.
Counts towards antitheft devices as well !

By the way Russ, I have bought a new Video recorder/helmet bullet cam for our next racing encounter!!!!!
BULLET CAMERA

[Edited on 4/1/2007 by nitram38]

DarrenW

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
David at Gosforth is known for his hard line views on areas that are not necessarily stated in the book. He is however very fair in that he was willing to sensibly discuss (after the test) how i could fix most of the fail points.

As said i didnt present my car with the snap off but did ask if this was a potential option. My fail was purely on the height of the wheel for which a smaller aftermarket wheel was a potential solution. Only other thing to be mindful of is that my Dad failed at Gosforth with a std Sierra wheel for being too low, the tester complained he couldnt drive the car safely even tho' it was fine for my father. So by changing from one solution to another you have to be careful that you dont inadvertently introduce another fail.

Good luck Stuart with the retest. Might be worth you registering on ne7ers as there is a good trackday coming up at Teesside autodrome so you can do some testing post SVA.

iank

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
It is an interpretation issue, but there is wording in the manual.

It says in the manual (Section 15.1 Para 4dii) - failure points
"d. A steering component
ii. insecure
..."

Arguably a removable steering wheel can't be secure in the sense of firmly bolted to the car.

nitram38

posted on 4/1/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I would argue!!!!!!!!!!
Wheels are removeable, but are still secure!!! (well sometimes they are)

iank

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
I would argue!!!!!!!!!!
Wheels are removeable, but are still secure!!! (well sometimes they are)

The key word here is bolted
If they were passing wheels held on by a spline with a lock barrel or a pull button arrangement I'd agree

graememk

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
i have a 12" wheel, pad and boss i would gladly lend you for sva, its from a tiger and its what the use on there pre built sva'ed cars so should be fine

you pay the pnp both ways, lone for free.

[Edited on 4/1/07 by graememk]

DarrenW

posted on 4/1/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ref manual interpretation, it would appear that where there is some vague areas that can be viewed differently several testers would take a look at the solutions provided by the main stream manufacturers that have been type approved. In this case there are probably very few that have fitted removable (ie quick release) steering wheels to mainstream cars.

At the end of the day the SVA people dont want to have someones serious injury or death on their hands (ie in a car that they have approved) as a result of something that could have been avoided by the application of their years of experience. If in doubt its best to stick with the Ford wheel, might as well play safe and avoid another £30 etc.

BenB

posted on 4/1/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yup. Passed with a "pull-back" removable steering wheel (not sure on the make) but the tester seemed keen to pass the car.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.