Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap vs Expensive Air Tools
SeaBass

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap vs Expensive Air Tools

I'm about to start investing in some air tools. I already have a good quality air dual action sander and a several die grinders. I'm looking around for a small mini angle sander and an air drill. As part of my research I've noticed a surprising similarity between cheapo ebay specials and more expensive kit eg machine mart/sealey etc. The real expensive tooling does seem to be different and of a higher quality but I'm unlikely to be investing in that bracket. With just about everything now being made in China, is there really any difference between these tools or is it simply the old case of buy the best you can afford when it comes to air tools.

Cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Made in China or not, bargain tools rarely, if ever turn out to be durable or well made, especially if they have moving parts like gears / bearings or work at very high rpms.

we scots really are a right tight fisted bunch of penny pinchers

[Edited on 8/5/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
my £10 impact gun from the bay has been really good, was a bit pants at first but just needed oiling and 'running in' a bit.

the only think i havent undone with it is the rear sierra hub bolts and one stipidly stiff wheel nut that took a breaker bar and a bit of jumping to undo - althogh thats probably down to my compressor not being high enough pressure tbh.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

r1_pete

posted on 8/5/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with Mr W. other thinks like chucks on drills often don't centre the drill properly, or grip small drills. The vanes in the motors aren't brilliantly machined, and can stick, DA sanders aren't well balanced giving you a nice vibro massage but a real pain to do the job.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeaBass

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I guess to clarify -

If I buy cheap from ebay I'm 99% that the tools will originate from China.

If I walk into Machine Mart and buy some air tools I'm also 99% that they'll originate from China.

Will the Machine Mart tools be any better than he ebay jobs?

Cheers

JC

02GF74

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I'd agree with Mr W. other thinks like chucks on drills often don't centre the drill properly, or grip small drills.

the "Golden Goose" brand, that I suspect is Chinese (from Axminster tools) centres brilliantly and grips 0.7 mm (yesm sub 1 mm!) perfectly..... but you are more likley to get inferior product if of Chinese origin.

... but back to original question.

The only thig you can say for sure is that more expensive tools will cost more.

whcih to buy boils down to the difference in cost, quality and how long you can guestimate them to last, the latter depends on how often and how you use them. Factor into account how much productivity, frustration and pain you will experience should the tool fail.

I bought some cheap Aldi tools; I don't have plans to use them hence it is effectively money down the drain, but being cheap, doesn't matter. The one time I used the air ratchet to undo an alternator pulley bolt, it worked fine so that alone paid for its keep.

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Remember Air tools use a lot of air --- impact guns and ratchets are usually OK on a medium sized hobby compressor but drills, die grinders, cut off tools, sanders and saws need a professional size compressor.
MikeR

posted on 8/5/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sort of true - they work on hobby compressors but only for very short bursts.

(i know, I've got a 2.0hp compressor. At some point i'll rig up the 1.5hp compressor and hopefully have something similar to what a 3.0 hp hobby 50 litre compressor would give me - which is probably similar to a 2.5hp professional compressor).

SeaBass

posted on 8/5/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yep the first thing I did was source a decent compressor - a Hydrovane. In fact it's so decent I can't move the bugger. It's got plenty of CFM to play with and drives my shotblast cabinet easily (supposedly one of the most hungry applications).

Cheers

Bluemoon

posted on 8/5/08 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've been very happy with my 10 quid Aldi air (Wolf power brand) drill... Not the best in the world I'm sure but does the job, centers the drills and is better than my electric drill... But then maybe I just got a good one... Works o.k off one compressor (again aldi, compressor can just keep up) one two it's no problem.. Stopped me snapping pilot hole drills (2mm) and it's defiantly payed it's keep in saved drill bits!

Dan

[Edited on 8/5/08 by Bluemoon]

02GF74

posted on 8/5/08 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I guess to clarify -

If I walk into Machine Mart and buy some air tools I'm also 99% that they'll originate from China.

Ok - didn't see this. but looking at the Aldi tools - 1/2 price of the MMart, they appear no worse.

So don't limit yourself to ebay and MMart - wait when they appear at Aldi/Lidl/Netto - same poo but cheaper.

Aldi air tools have some ridiculous 2 years or more guarnatee.

trextr7monkey

posted on 8/5/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
We are finding that even "decent" makes are turning out pants - Dewalt grinders and drills bought recently are not the same tools as they were 5 years ago
Axminsters stuff is half decent, Machine ,art is cheap and wellpromoted but doesnt last too long if knocked about.
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

robinj66

posted on 8/5/08 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I guess to clarify -

Cheers

JC

In a word - NO

My Ebay tools get a lot of abuse and have lasted well. Some did benefit from a quick strip down and oiling but once reassembled they are great.

zilspeed

posted on 8/5/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
If I may add another question.

How much difference does the larger bore hose make ?

i.e. If I buy real hose to replace the crappy freebie hose I have now, will I be noticing a very real difference in air delivery ?

Cheers

JF

MikeR

posted on 8/5/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
a big difference!

imagine trying to blow through a little hose - you'd spend you're life pushing and get sod all air, now imagine trying to glow through a 10mm tube, its easier so you can shift more air.

rusty nuts

posted on 8/5/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Use the largest bore hose that you can for best results, the longer the hose the less pressure you get.
vinnievector

posted on 8/5/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
air tools

look on ebay for aircraft tools there are air tools there ,go for atlas copco if you can Desutor Ingasol Rand chicago pneumatic blue point ,a good compressor 15 to 20 ltr tank and a good heavy duty pump motor and air reg any smaller forget it ,small bore air lines are OK and don't alter your air tool to much but give you more flexibility than a large bore airline try using 360 swivel joints from halfords @ a fiver to your air tool
owelly

posted on 9/5/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I recently repaired a very expensive (IIRC, an Atlas Copco) 3/4" windy gun by fitting the internals of a much cheaper machine. They were identical once the rubber boot was removed.

As the saying goes, 'buy cheap, buy twice', but if you're not relying on the tools to make a living and if they break, it's not going to cost anyone £30 an hour to go and get a new one, buy cheap......but buy two of them in the first place!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

davie h

posted on 9/5/08 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
i have a die grinder from B&Q cant remember the make but it was just as good as the snap-on/blue point one my mate had and i used it every day for over 4 years but on the same hand i bought a cheap air hacksaw and ended up chucking it in the bin and buying a bluepoint one

Davie

SeaBass

posted on 10/5/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I've taken the research route. I've ordered a half decent mini grinder and an ebay special drill. We'll how the quality compares and go from there. The drill was a cock & hen and my mate paid two ponys for his in Machine Mart. We'll see how they compare eh?

JC

C10CoryM

posted on 11/5/08 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ive found very little use for my air drill. They spin way too fast, and stall out too easy. I would stick to an electric drill for anything harder than aluminum.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

NS Dev

posted on 14/5/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yep the first thing I did was source a decent compressor - a Hydrovane. In fact it's so decent I can't move the bugger. It's got plenty of CFM to play with and drives my shotblast cabinet easily (supposedly one of the most hungry applications).

Cheers

LOL you won't go far wrong with a hydrovane!!!! Quiet too!!!

To answer the question, I have found that all the "chinese" tools are broadly similar, so what machine mart sell is basically the same as the cheapo ebay stuff, and in my opinion neither is much cop.

I have a number of Clarke, Kobe and unnamed tools, all of which are from the same chinese factory I assume, and all have several faults. Not that stop them working, but they are not great, especially the impact gun which is shite. (fast but can't undo things that the breaker bar can, which kinda defeats the point of buying it!!! )

On the other hand I have some old, secondhand, Chicago Pneumatic air tools, bought from a factory sale, which are absolute stonkers.

I would go for used industrial stuff from people like Chicago Pneumatic and Dessoutter given the choice and not being in too much of a hurry to get the stuff.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.