Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anglesey
perksy

posted on 11/11/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Anglesey

Started looking at our holiday/s next year and we're thinking of going to Anglesey for a week/10 days
(Never been so thought we'd give it a try)

Any advice on where to stay and what to see and do ?

Thanks

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/11/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you are into.
Some fabulous beaches.
Windsurfing at Rhosneigr, you can hire the kit.
Copper mountain if you are into geology/history.
The race track at Ty Croes.
The road around the island A5025 is a nice 90ish mile run.
Electric Mountain over on the main land is awesome, if you are into major engineering projects.
Boat trips.
I have lived here over 14 years and not been bored for a single day.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

tegwin

posted on 11/11/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not quite Anglesey but my family is from Criccieth on the Llyn peninsula. I would consider myself a local given the amount of time I have spent up there. So much to do and see.

Depends what you are into but there is a go-ape and some of the best mountain bike trails at Coed-y-brenin (about half an hour from Criccieth) Can rent bikes there, tracks to suit all abilities.

Plenty of mountains to climb, beaches to explore... If you are into the prisoner, portmeirion is amusing.

Just get yourself up there and explore!

If you are looking for somewhere to stay my parents let out their house most of the year. It has some of the best views anywhere in Wales! Even has a massive garage for the locost :p

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/North-Wales-Snowdonia/Seibiant-13675.html

Could possibly wrangle a discount but cant promise anything.

[Edited on 11/11/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

perksy

posted on 11/11/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Depends what you are into.
Some fabulous beaches.
Windsurfing at Rhosneigr, you can hire the kit.
Copper mountain if you are into geology/history.
The race track at Ty Croes.
The road around the island A5025 is a nice 90ish mile run.
Electric Mountain over on the main land is awesome, if you are into major engineering projects.
Boat trips.
I have lived here over 14 years and not been bored for a single day.

Thanks for that

We are into Walking and love Coastal walks etc
If there is a decent pub along or near the walk then even better

Is there a particular area that you would recommend us staying in ?

Confused but excited.

posted on 11/11/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
There is a walking route almost all the way around the island, with some spectacular views.
If you want to have a test run one weekend in spring, you and your other half are welcome to overnight here.
I do quite a reasonable brekky

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

llionellis

posted on 11/11/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have lived In Anglesey most of my life, and love the place (most of the time). I am sure you will have already done a Google search, but just i case you missed this website http://www.visitanglesey.co.uk/en-GB/about_anglesey-6.aspx
It gives a good overview of the island.
The coastal path is well worth the effort http://www.visitanglesey.co.uk/en-GB/route_descriptions_and_maps-117.aspx
from the same website gives route descriptions and maps. If time is limited, you can walk short sections, the path is nearly 120 miles long, there are no really better parts of the walk just different parts. I have walked all of the path and enjoyed every step.
As the island is only about 30 miles in diameter you will never be too far from a watering hole. It would be fair to say that Anglesey would not suit someone looking for a holiday full of night-life, more of a breath in the sea air and chill out kind of place. My choices for a holiday base would be
Beaumaris,(Castle, Restaurants, Hotels and several pubs)
Rhosneigr (Surfing, wind surfing, Restaurants)
Benllech (Pubs Restaurants and the superb Red Wharf Bay beach, miles of golden sands)
Hoping that I do not upset any Holyhead residents, beautiful scenery from Holyhead mountain, loads of sea birds, maritime museum and a fast ferry to Dublin for a day out but Holyhead town is not my favourite Anglesey town.
That's my bit done for the Anglesey tourist board.

will121

posted on 11/11/12 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Not quite Anglesey but my family is from Criccieth on the Llyn peninsula. I would consider myself a local given the amount of time I have spent up there. So much to do and see.

Depends what you are into but there is a go-ape and some of the best mountain bike trails at Coed-y-brenin (about half an hour from Criccieth) Can rent bikes there, tracks to suit all abilities.

Plenty of mountains to climb, beaches to explore... If you are into the prisoner, portmeirion is amusing.

Just get yourself up there and explore!

If you are looking for somewhere to stay my parents let out their house most of the year. It has some of the best views anywhere in Wales! Even has a massive garage for the locost :p

http://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/North-Wales-Snowdonia/Seibiant-13675.html

Could possibly wrangle a discount but cant promise anything.

[Edited on 11/11/12 by tegwin]

we stayed for a week in Criccieth this summer near the ice cream parlor and great chip shop, lovely area and views, was few wet days but great for coastal walks, done Snowdon, Beaumaris, seaside resort llandudno, as said above hydro power stations and even fitted in a drive to Anglesey circuit, personally i was a bit disappointed with the look of Anglesey however if you get great weather it might be different

Ninehigh

posted on 11/11/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Is the sea zoo still there?

perksy

posted on 12/11/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies
Some good local info there

We'll get planning...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.