Board logo

Newarks over - time for Newlands!!
Jasper - 23/6/03 at 07:43 PM

Don't wanna talk or read about Newark cos I couldn't go.....

So let start talking about the next Newlands Corner meet .... far more interesting!!!

So who's coming and whose bringing their finished cars?????

Merlin & Conrod, I trust u will both be there?????

chrisg - 23/6/03 at 07:49 PM

it's too far, and you're all gay.

No offence, like

Cheers

Chris

bob - 23/6/03 at 09:38 PM

Yeah chris is right i'm going to a bar-b-q in the afty anyhow.

And last time i went to Newlands it cost me sixty quid and 3 points OUCH!!!!

Never mind i know where they are now

Deckman001 - 23/6/03 at 09:55 PM

'Chris' None taken mate, who could take offence at what you say
I'm going, Also got a bbq in the a/noon, and some wiring to do !!
And I want to see some finnished cars as well !! Jasp, got your's on the road yet !, Oh yeah, i take it , it will be sun the 6th ??

Jason

ChrisW - 24/6/03 at 07:15 AM

I'm hoping to catch a lift with the Conrod unless by some miracle my car's finished (don't panic - I'm nowhere near!). Failing that I'm sure my cabby is up to the journey.

Chris

James - 24/6/03 at 10:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
it's too far, and you're all gay.

No offence, like

Cheers

Chris

No it's not! It's about 10mins away.
You crazy idiot!

As for nighttime matters- your apparent obsession with such things clearly represents certain repressed (or perhaps not so repressed) tendencies on your part!
Did PTM mind sharing a tent with you for 3 nights though? I hope you were polite enough to supply the requisite 'reach around' is all!

Cheers,

James

ned - 24/6/03 at 10:24 AM

I presume we're talking sunday 6th (just for clarification) as i'm at thruxton this weekend and snet the weekend 13th.

Bob, where did you get the points/penalty, near newlands or back on a3 or elsewhere?

Hope to see a few cars up there. should be a good gathering ( as long as it doesn't rain )

with any luck i'll have my donor, so won't be hanging around too long as have a deadline for stripping it...

see you there,

Ned.

Peteff - 24/6/03 at 10:36 AM

Electric barbies eh!!. Us Northeners are really getting left behind. You'll be cooking food indoors next!!!!

yours, Pete.

Deckman001 - 24/6/03 at 01:10 PM

D'oh the bbq is payment/reward for doing the electrics on an Indy for a local builder !!

Jason
ps why cook indoors if you've got a bbq ?

theconrodkid - 24/6/03 at 04:38 PM

breakfast followed by a barbie?youd think we were big eaters or summat

bob - 24/6/03 at 05:55 PM

The camera was on the A25 at merrow,so so watch out lads as you cant see it with the sun in yer eyes in the morning.

I did ask James where the cameras are around the area but as people know asking james a question and getting an anwser is very rare,he would make a great politician that boy.

[Edited on 24/6/03 by bob]

Deckman001 - 24/6/03 at 06:01 PM

'OUCH'

chrisg - 24/6/03 at 06:15 PM

quote:

As for nighttime matters- your apparent obsession with such things clearly represents certain repressed (or perhaps not so repressed) tendencies on your part!

Do I detect a little of the green eyed monster there Jimmy?

Just knock on the tent and ask next time!

Cheers

Chris

(wife and two kids)

Jasper - 24/6/03 at 07:04 PM

Don't think he could av squeezed in your tent even fully greased up (which is how he likes it so I've 'eard)

Jasper
Wife and one kid

Metal Hippy - 24/6/03 at 07:29 PM

Take a torch in and he can watch the shadow show.

Hippy.
(girlfriend, rabbit, rat and a hamster)

stephen_gusterson - 24/6/03 at 10:07 PM

hippy - is that reverse order of preferance

atb

steve

2 kids - and I PROVED IT. The big bored one and the littler (I want a RH2B after I sat in one) thingies I had in tow.

Anyone can say '2 kids'.

[Edited on 24/6/03 by stephen_gusterson]

chrisg - 24/6/03 at 10:28 PM

quote:

(I want a RH2B after I sat in one)

Phsyciatric help is free theese days

Cheers

Chris

And Jasper, you weren't invited and that grease is vegetable oil

James - 25/6/03 at 10:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bob
The camera was on the A25 at merrow,so so watch out lads as you cant see it with the sun in yer eyes in the morning.

I did ask James where the cameras are around the area but as people know asking james a question and getting an anwser is very rare,he would make a great politician that boy.

[Edited on 24/6/03 by bob]

Oi!!!

It's not like you asked me where they were *before* you went through it! Only after!!!

If it helps... if you went passed that one you were going the long way round to Newlands anyway!

James

ned - 25/6/03 at 11:19 AM

yeah, come out of newlands car park, take the left, imediatley after turing out, misses out all the big traffic lights (speed camera's ) and brings you out at the merrow roundabout.

Ned.

James - 25/6/03 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
yeah, come out of newlands car park, take the left, imediatley after turing out, misses out all the big traffic lights (speed camera's ) and brings you out at the merrow roundabout.

Ned.

That was the way he went that got him the ticket!

James

ned - 25/6/03 at 02:36 PM

so whats the shorter way then James?

Ned.

James - 25/6/03 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ned
so whats the shorter way then James?

Ned.

Blinkin heck!
What a fascinating discussion for everyone here!

That's still the shorter way- but he went left at that roundabout. The shorter way is straight on and down to the A3 that way.

Cheers,

James

ned - 25/6/03 at 03:24 PM

fascinating, yes, i see now.....

Ned.

Jasper - 25/6/03 at 03:45 PM

Ned, you must have the record for 'Senior Builder' status in the shortest time, and only a pile of donor bits!!

ned - 25/6/03 at 04:05 PM

maybe, though I've just applied for a loan fo 10k to help with my build, am sorting out a sierra too, vx engine is in bits ready for new parts (dry sump pan is awaiting funds and am looking at a high performance head). Am hoping to come to an agreement for some space in a mates lockup this weekend so it's all looking quite promising now....

merlin - 25/6/03 at 04:40 PM

Hey Bob, I see what you mean...

"That's still the shorter way- but he went left at that roundabout. The shorter way is straight on and down to the A3 that way."

So, is the shorter way left at the roundabout or straight on??

never mind James, It'll get to us all in the end!

ned - 26/6/03 at 09:25 AM

shorter way to a3 is straight over roundabout then right at next roundabout, then left at following one, past sainsburys, over bridge and imediatley right onto a3 sliproad(traffic lights) , mind you this is north bound only route. For southbound have to go towards town centre, past diy /superstores stores (follow portsmouth/a3 signs obviously)

see you all there, no excuses for directions now....

Ned.

James - 26/6/03 at 12:53 PM

Coming from London down the A3:

Come off at the Burpham turn off.

At roundabout: straight on
At roundabout (next to Sainsbury's) 1st exit
At roundabout (next to BP garage) 1st exit.

Straight over next two roundabouts.

2nd exit on next roundabout- leading onto Trodds Lane.

About 1.5 miles later turn right at top of Trodds Lane.

Newlands is on the left.

There is a map:
http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/photos/cgi-bin/showpic.pl?newlands_map-large.jpg

This includes the speed camera (circled in red) that is outside the infant school. The limit is 30mph- if you do 48mph then you will get clocked although possibly this will happen at a lower speed. Who knows. I'll get there early and flag you down as you drive past if you like!

Good Luck- I know it's a difficult journey!

Cheers,

James

bob - 26/6/03 at 05:56 PM

no buggery bollox to that

Thats like running 6 miles when you can walk 2.

After crossing M25 leave at next junction for Ockham on the B2039 and head for East horsley,turn right onto the A246 through East Clandon then turn left onto the A25 at x roads up the hill and your there.

Just keep yer speed down and everyones happy.

donut - 26/6/03 at 06:14 PM

Just follow the clouds of rubber smoke from conrods car when i'm driving it and doing donuts round the carpark.........i'm not called donut for nothing you know!!!!

Andy

[Edited on 26/6/03 by donut]

chrisg - 26/6/03 at 06:24 PM

I thought that was a "shape" thing, although to be fair you don't have the hole in the middle.

Cheers

The Kettle

theconrodkid - 26/6/03 at 07:32 PM

andy the only black smoke to be seen will be your galaxy burning with you inside it as its pushed off the cliffno offence

donut - 28/6/03 at 08:40 AM

No offence taken John.......What i do take offence to is the fact you called my car a Galaxy....it's Sharan (Not a Sharon before anyone put's up that quip!!) A german panza wagon!! Ache Tung!

If i'm goin' darn...your coming with me!! LOL

Andy

donut - 28/6/03 at 08:42 AM

Chris.... would that be a black kettle??? LOL

Andy - the mint(ed) bloke with the hole!

chrisg - 28/6/03 at 10:39 AM

Yep, you got it!

Cheers

Chris

ned - 30/6/03 at 10:30 AM

Does anyone who's going to be at Newlands know what a 'good' polished and ported head looks like?

I only ask as I'm picking up a head on saturday (is worth the price for cams +vernier pulleys alone) but says it has been polished/ported aswell.

Anybody?

Ned.

Findlay234 - 30/6/03 at 10:54 AM

On the inlet tracts you shouldnt see any burrs or casting marks. It may be polished to a mirror finish but if it is then get out some 400 grit paper and give it a roughening up this is a way of producing a nice boundary layer for smooth airflow. Also where the tract split to the valves there should be a rounded edge not sharp. And the valve guides should (very hard to achieve so not always done) be teardrop shaped. Mainly just check that the inside walls are smooth and there are no sharp lines and edges. The amount of money a person spends will be proportional to the amount of effort put in by the tuner, its not just a simple 'polish and port' and thats your job. There are varying degrees of how much HP the head can flow.

scutter - 3/7/03 at 11:39 AM

Greetings all,

Still leaves te question of whos going? Maybe able to persuade the misses to let me free on a weekend down south(Don't hold you're breath thou)

Dan.

James - 3/7/03 at 07:39 PM

I'm sure you'll all be disappointed to know I won't be able to go.

Unfortunately I've got an open kickboxing competition in Aldershot the same day that starts at 10 so unless we meet at 9am I won't really be able to make it.

For LeMans cars took priority so I missed the European championships (at which my girlfriend got a silver medal- Grrrrr- not that we're competitive at all!) so this time kickboxing wins and car have to suffer!

Oh well, wish me luck!

Cheers,

James

theconrodkid - 3/7/03 at 10:17 PM

give em one in the nuts for me

James - 4/7/03 at 02:13 PM

Cheers mate.

Have a nice brekkie! And a good drive down in Sweet PeaII.

Dissappointed not to be there actually. The first one where we've actually got a bunch of cars turning up and I'm not there!

James

ned - 4/7/03 at 03:09 PM

don't worry, we'll be sure you get a mention (skyving git)

Ned.

steve m - 5/7/03 at 10:22 AM

Hi
Just so I know is newlands on or off ?
as if I am coming, it will be straight from a nightshift
also what times do people get there
and go home ??

steve

Jasper - 5/7/03 at 11:01 AM

People arriving between 9-10ish I should think, and staying till lunchtime-ish.

And James, good luck, and let me know about Goodwood.

BTW conrod, is SPII finished??? Can't wait to see her.

[Edited on 5/7/03 by Jasper]

steve m - 5/7/03 at 12:45 PM

James
If I can Will meet at your house b4 0915
if I am not their go without me, and I will catch you up thier

steve

theconrodkid - 5/7/03 at 12:54 PM

jasper,no seats yet hence no mot and no show on sunday,have to slum it in my alfa

steve m - 6/7/03 at 02:42 PM

Hi

Well it was nice to see some old friends!
cars that attended were Hicost, JB,Stevem (me), Jasper (the chainsaw kid) and Surrey Dave
all of the none car driving souls can add thier own names

and guest star of the day was Robson Green, but my wife does not belive me
any one get any photos??

steve

Surrey Dave - 6/7/03 at 03:20 PM

He was there Mrs Mullarky, but you know what it's like when you see a STAR your knees go all wobbly and you cant think!!**??, so I didn't get a photo.

PS -Steve is that cycle computer cordless and can you calibrate it for the diameter of the wheel?

Jasper - 6/7/03 at 04:06 PM

Yeah - cheers chaps for a good meet up, and Hicost for some of the best back roads I've ever driven - and Donut for a lovely BBQ, sorry I had to bail early. Car went really well today though, furthest I been so far.

And yes, Robson Green was really there.

bob - 6/7/03 at 06:46 PM

And what was he driving ?

GasGasGas - 6/7/03 at 07:01 PM

Realy good to see y'all today great cars one and all ,ta to Andy for the nosh and letting us play auto electricians, all i need now is a toy to call my own .

John never did get round to that cup o' tea and chips chat!!

bob - 6/7/03 at 07:07 PM

Yep shame i missed Newlands and the cars but nice at andy's garage,i'm sure i left some red wine there

Auto electricians working like they were being payed £100 an hour,i best have a barby then

Fozzie - 6/7/03 at 07:34 PM

Hiya Bob,

Woz hopin to see ya today at Newlands! I saw from your photo archive that you have Baby Cub seats and wanted to know who makes 'em.

Cheers Fozzie

bob - 6/7/03 at 07:50 PM

They came from midland wheel supplies
£99 a pair

steve m - 6/7/03 at 07:53 PM

Dave
The cycle speedo is not cordless!
halfords in their wisdom only supply about 16" inches of wire, beats me why???????????????

I just joined it all with some telephone (bt) wire
I am dissapointed with the speedo, as my speedo I thought was inacuaret ? but after calibratiting the bike speedo with my tyre, I am only 5mph different, so i did do 120 mph on the way home!!!!!!!!

mmmmm

I still think that I am overreading ??

and coment from the wife "did you get his autograph??"
yep, that would look really cool in front of my mates. and would go down in history, quiet near to me to putting £6. worth of diesel into my locost a couple of years ago, all very amusing

steve

steve m - 6/7/03 at 08:12 PM

Sorry forgot

Thanks Hicost for that slow cuise up to newlands, Jasper had better learn how to keep up!!!, I was going to overtake him but we spent most of our time on single carrage roads

And Jasper every time you change gear
(about 15 times a second!!) i thought my car was breaking up, all i could hear was a chainsaw on steroids and every 15 sec a CLUNK,

only joking Jasper

its nice to see and hear (and smell,castrol r??) another southern softie car on the road

theconrodkid - 6/7/03 at 08:17 PM

who is/was robson green?

Deckman001 - 6/7/03 at 08:30 PM

Yep thanks to 'Hicost' for offering a ride, shame i had to leave early, hopefully there will be another chance
Great to see the locosts in attendance , dam frustrating to know still not much chance of one myself, but I am working on it !!!

Jason

ned - 7/7/03 at 08:50 AM

cheers for the nosh donut, shame we had to go shopping & to the other half's mothers....

Ned.

Surrey Dave - 7/7/03 at 11:15 AM

Either Deckman or Donut paid for my Tea/Bacon Roll early sunday morning at Newlands, I have not forgotten and you will be repaid, also someone got me a tea later, I'm not sure who that was but it was delivered by 'Conrod', I promptly poured it down SteveM's highly polished ally , hope it came off alright.

Deckman001 - 7/7/03 at 07:57 PM

Dave, don't worry, we treat all new appearences like that !
Oops, what might i have started

Great to see you dave and hope to see you at the nxt meet, if not before at Donuts
Cheers
Jason