Board logo

Chassis all welded
tug - 24/4/11 at 10:15 AM

It isn't a seven replica, but a rear engined car (R1+50Kw motor).

Here is a bit of cad:

Bought the steel:

48.3x2.9mm round tube
30x60 thickness 3mm rectangular tube
33,7x2,9mm round tube

Freaking heavy ! (and expensive)

Lets bend some tubes :

Yes, that is a Citroën C5 in the back:

Time to use the templates:

Roll over cage :

The pink tape is from this:

Did the same, but with CATIA V5R19 and cut the tape with scissors

Rear all spot welded:

Chassis FULLY(well almost) spot welded:

Cheap gloves only lasted 3 weeks:

Chassis out of the welding room(with some parts not attaced to make it look pretty):

Chassis took me "3" weeks to be built, which means about 75h of work.

Next step (Wednesday), is to steam pressure wash the grease off the tubes, then paint it.

I was thinking about buying regular paint from my hardware store to prevent rust.
Look like this:

Rust prevention for 5years of so. I don't see the point of buying expensive paint chassis.
Idealy I would need to powered coat it, but I don't have a giant oven to bake it. Same goes with real paint, no room to bake it. Cold galvanisation looks bad (from what I have seen), no room for hot galvanisation. Epoxy maybe.

All the tubes aren't in place, but I have to paint it. Because I am doing it at my university, they want a good looking project(and clean), so I must paint it, I told some that is stoopid. But whatever.

If you want more pics, feel free to ask.

Cheers

Miks15 - 24/4/11 at 11:18 AM

Looks good, took me alot longer than 3 weeks to have mine fully welded and it was fairly simple ha

Badger_McLetcher - 24/4/11 at 01:45 PM

I like your fabrication techniques mate, but IMO that chassis looks in serious need of triangulation! Nice design though

Edit: Also out of interest, how'd you stop the pipe from kinking with those benders?

Badger

[Edited on 24/4/11 by Badger_McLetcher]

designer - 24/4/11 at 05:06 PM

Hell of a workshop you have!!

Why do you bend tubing on the floor?

Have you tubemitre?

http://techniclub.net/tutoriels_articles/logiciel_aide_sur_tubemiter-t650.0.html

[Edited on 24-4-11 by designer]

tug - 25/4/11 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
I like your fabrication techniques mate, but IMO that chassis looks in serious need of triangulation! Nice design though

Edit: Also out of interest, how'd you stop the pipe from kinking with those benders?

Badger

[Edited on 24/4/11 by Badger_McLetcher]

Yes the chassis will have more triangulation, but according to Comsol 3.5 it is pretty rigid. Having a big diameter helps being stiff.

quote:
Originally posted by designer
Hell of a workshop you have!!

Why do you bend tubing on the floor?

Have you tubemitre?

http://techniclub.net/tutoriels_articles/logiciel_aide_sur_tubemiter-t650.0.html

[Edited on 24-4-11 by designer]

Thanks! The workshop is actually Rennes 1's mechanical engineering's quarters. It is a plus because there is everything there, all the machines/help I need. Downside is that the hours sucks, end at 4:30pm...can't work weekends.

How do you bend tubes? If not on the floor?

Wish I had heard of tubemitre! seems freaking easy to use. Doing it on Catia was a bit tedious.

On another note, all the measurements are at a 1mm tolerance, angles to 0.5°. Pretty pleased the work.

designer - 30/4/11 at 06:11 PM

quote:

How do you bend tubes? If not on the floor?

Your bones are obviously a lot younger than mine, but I bend on a bench.

I'm down the road in the Vendee.