Board logo

Best Type Of Welding For Chassis?
smart1275gt - 24/3/08 at 07:49 PM

Hi all,
Just thinking about a new project car and will need to design and fabricate a box steel chassis. Problem is I've never done this before and want to get it right first time. I'm thinking about a space frame style Mini road racer, but with a Smart car shell and a totally different powertrain. So what's the best material to use and what's the best type of welding to use? Tig Mig?

Cheers.

IDONTBELEIVEIT - 24/3/08 at 08:05 PM

most people tend to use 25x25x1.5mm ERW, tig and mig on ERW are equally as strong,mig is far quicker and if your any good can look nice also fairly easy,tig even neater slower and slightly more difficult

wayno!!!

Alan B - 24/3/08 at 08:09 PM

Would agree 100% except I'd say TIG is quite a bit more difficult.....IMO

lsdweb - 24/3/08 at 08:13 PM

Or brazed............

caber - 24/3/08 at 09:59 PM

I find TIG much easier than MIG. I came from gas welding and use TIG just like a gas flame except no pops and bangs, more heat easier to control settings and you can work at your rate rather than the rate of the wire coming out the torch! It is difficult in tight corners. I find I always get excellent penetration and if you cut your tubes 100% accurate you need virtually no filler and get a flat weld assuming all metal is absolutely clean. Contrary to the experts you can fill holes with TIG if you play the flame like gas, but remember it is going to be a weak fill rather than a solid weld.

Caber

Fred W B - 25/3/08 at 08:07 AM

With Mig you can tack with one hand...

Cheers

Fred W B

quinnj3 - 25/3/08 at 09:27 AM

hi

you can tack with 1 hand when tig welding if your cuts are tight enough. Tig welding is apparently cooler than mig welding so in theory you should have less warping but it is very tricky to master. It is very satisfying to successfully weld with a Tig but will probably take hours of practise. If you have someone you know who can tig weld and spend a few hours teachng you it will really speed the learning process.

907 - 25/3/08 at 04:18 PM

Good Penetration.

No lack of fusion.

No undercut.

Even build up.

These are your aims.
What process you use to achieve these doesn't matter much IMHO.

ATB
Paul G

aerosam - 25/3/08 at 08:25 PM

what about gasless MIG? I have a clarke 85ENB gasless mig, just wondering if it will be adequate.