Board logo

First drive...
andrew.carwithen - 1/3/09 at 02:38 PM

Just had my first blat as a fully road legal car. (Got her registered on Friday.) What a hoot!
Car drove impeccably. Engine ran sweet as a nut and what a howl when she hits the powerband at plus 7k revs - she takes off like a scolded cat!
Had the back end step out a couple of times on roundabouts but was quite easy to catch it and pull back into line. (Mind you, I reckon it'd be a totally different story in the wet!)
Clutch is going to take a little getting used to. I stalled it once but then tended to over-compensate and induce lots of clutch slip when pulling away. Think I'll have to fit a stronger return spring to accelerator pedal to make it less sensitive.
There were no horrible rattles/squeaks etc. coming from suspension etc. So all in all, a pretty good shake down run.
Think I'll go out again in a minute (its only right to take advantage of the sunny weather while it lasts!)

adithorp - 1/3/09 at 02:56 PM

Great feeling isn't it. Take it easy out there. These cars can bite you in the arse with little warning. You don't want to have to start again.

adrian

Dangle_kt - 1/3/09 at 04:50 PM

wheeeeyyyyy! Great news! is it as good as you hoped it would be?

YQUSTA - 1/3/09 at 05:16 PM

Good news

Great feeling

All though I bought mine driving it back was the most fun ever in a car 3 hours of grins and backing sunsine to boot.

Have fun and keep safe

andrew.carwithen - 1/3/09 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
wheeeeyyyyy! Great news! is it as good as you hoped it would be?

Oh yeah - and some!
The feeling of driving something that you've actually built yourself - and that it drives so well, is absolutely incredible!
'Though it was pretty frustrating at times, as everyone seemed to be out for a Sunday afternoon drive and so ended up 'in convoy' most of the time.
I'll have to get out early next time and hopefully have the roads to myself.

fideel109 - 1/3/09 at 06:06 PM

As you said it's great to drive something that was build by yourself.
Building an Avon is a pain in the ***, but when they're finished, they handle and drive very well.
I find them underestimated...