Board logo

carb problems ????
locosaki - 16/5/08 at 07:05 PM

I've just got my car going and been trying to fix this problem today,When I open the throttle gently the engine revs without to much off a miss/stutter but when I floor the throttle the engine starts to miss quite badly,It does the same when underload and when ticking over.The engine is from a GPZ1000 RX and the carbs a kehien 36mm.

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm toiling now !!!!!

[Edited on 16/5/08 by locosaki]

cadebytiger - 16/5/08 at 08:20 PM

I don't know anything about bike carbs but if they were webbers i would say check the size of your accelerator jets or if it was working check that they are functioning properly.

cadebytiger - 16/5/08 at 08:22 PM

do you know that your engine timing is correct? Best to check this first

locosaki - 16/5/08 at 08:32 PM

Timing is same as when stripped from bike.
When the engine came out of the bike it was running perfect,I stripped it out.
The engine sat over winter and this is the first of me getting it going.The only thing I have done is change plugs,oil and filter.

dave1888 - 17/5/08 at 08:48 AM

Most likely a fuelling problem are you pumping the fuel to the carbs could be to much or not enough pressure.

Bigheppy - 17/5/08 at 08:50 AM

Try putting the old plugs back in you may have a duff new one

locosaki - 20/5/08 at 07:25 PM

Hi guys,sorry for the delay in response,

The fuel is pumped using orginal bike pump,I think I will give the plugs a try tomorrow

chrisf - 21/5/08 at 12:29 PM

I'd personally drain all the old fuel out and change the fuel filter. After that, a quick disassembly of the carbs will show if there is a clog. To me, though, it sounds like the fuel filter is clogged.

--Chris

locosaki - 23/5/08 at 09:01 PM

Hi guys,

Got the bottom of the carb problem today,I drained the fuel and filled with new petrol,Carbs are now working perfectly.

Thanks for the help given above