Board logo

Iva Bias bar your opinions pls?
big_wasa - 19/4/09 at 07:22 PM

Ive made a sort of non adjustable bias bar for the iva so that I dont have to weld mine up.

Ive set it to about 80% front. But if its wrong I can just cut two new grooves for the cir-clips and move the bearing along. You wont be able to see that as it sits in the pedal bush

When set I will fit a couple of roll pins.

What do you think ? Will it pass if it gives the correct braking.

cheers

[Edited on 19/4/09 by big_wasa]

dinosaurjuice - 19/4/09 at 07:24 PM

i dont see that as being adjustable. therefore i think it wil pass.

edit: nicely made BTW. theyll be a waiting list to borrow that for iva

[Edited on 19/4/09 by dinosaurjuice]

blakep82 - 19/4/09 at 07:34 PM

i want one

robinj66 - 19/4/09 at 10:23 PM

It does look a lovely piece of kit but, according to the article in the latest Complete Kit Car, the IVA want a bioas bar to be "permanently rendered unadjustable".

Roll pins were acceptable for SVA but apparantly will not be good enough for IVA

MikeRJ - 20/4/09 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
It does look a lovely piece of kit but, according to the article in the latest Complete Kit Car, the IVA want a bioas bar to be "permanently rendered unadjustable".

Since big_wasa's design is inherently non-adjustable, that should not be a problem.

Mix - 20/4/09 at 05:35 PM

Hi

I think the theory is good 'in principle' however I would be concerned that drilling the bias bar where you have significantly reduces it's strength. In my opinion its better to secure at a point outside of the clevis. Otherwise an interesting exercise, look forward to news as to how it's received at IVA.

Regards Mick

big_wasa - 20/4/09 at 08:41 PM

It only needs to last for a short time

Its a 4mm pin through a 7/16 bar.

Any one want to do the maths for me ?

Bob C - 22/4/09 at 11:55 AM

You don't have a problem, there is very little stress of the bar where there's a hole through it. Your stress raisers are the circlip grooves..... keep them as shallow as you dare....

MikeRJ - 22/4/09 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
You don't have a problem, there is very little stress of the bar where there's a hole through it. Your stress raisers are the circlip grooves..... keep them as shallow as you dare....

Always thought they were a bit of a poor design, the threaded sections don't help either. Then again I guess the bars are plenty strong enough since I've not heard/read of any failures.

One of the previous owners of my Stiker thought that a piece of M6 stud would make an effective bias bar, I had a shock when I removed the pedal box cover and found the tiny, banana shaped bar. The most worrying thing of all is that it was a track car and had passed scrutineering many times judging from all the tickets I found stuck to the transmission tunnel.

I'll take a pic when I remember, a kind of "how not to make a bias pedal box"