Board logo

Galvanizing and powder coating driveshafts
Tilo - 20/4/11 at 10:53 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if there's any problem galvanizing and powder coating the driveshafts? Mine are sierra's push in driveshafts and i'm afraid to damage the driveshafts inner cartridge due to the high temperature process. There's seems to be a nylon ring retainer and don't know what else there is to damage...

matt_gsxr - 20/4/11 at 11:01 AM

if you remove the driveshaft from the CV joints then it is just a big chunk of metal, can't see a bit of heat damaging it.
Why not just use a bit of paint? it is only cosmetic as they aren't going to rust through.

You don't want to get anything on the splines though, as they wouldn't fit into the CV joints.

Tilo - 20/4/11 at 11:12 AM

All the other parts have been galvanized and powder coated in textured mate black. Wanted to keep the pattern...
I haven't removed the CV, thought it wasn't necessary. I'm fitting new boots using a universal cone kit. I thought the only problem was the 200ºC needed for the powder coating. The galvanizing isn't that hot, but the driveshaft is dipped in acid for degrease.

mcerd1 - 20/4/11 at 12:33 PM

you'll have to strip them for that ^^

this thread shows you how to do it and save the metal sleve bits:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152802 (that way it shouldn't cost you anything)

if nothing else the acid won't do the joints any favours, and if its all stripped down it'll be a much easier job
(i.e. all you'll need to do is mask off the ends of the shafts to keep the paint/poweder coat off the splined bits)

here's some I did earlier (bolt-on type)

also when you say 'galvanised' I take it you mean a 'zinc rich' paint or similar ?

as galvanising can mean either eletro-plated zinc or 'hot-dip' (i.e. dipped into a bath of molten zinc, which is very, very hot)
and either of them would kill the CV's

[Edited on 20/4/2011 by mcerd1]

Tilo - 20/4/11 at 12:40 PM

No, it's hot dip zinc bath. Not paint...

That helped me a lot! Gonna strip mine driveshafts this afternoon to get them to the paint shop.

Thanks a lot!

Tilo - 1/5/11 at 09:54 PM

Aren't they pretty???

MikeR - 1/5/11 at 10:02 PM

they look absolutely fantastic!!!!!

mcerd1 - 4/5/11 at 02:43 PM

very nice

The Black Flash - 6/5/11 at 09:34 PM

Shiny