Board logo

Sierra steering column upper bearing
b3ngy - 4/7/12 at 08:39 PM

The upper bearing in my sierra steering column has completely collapsed

Does anyone know if I can get a replacement bearing (and where from) or should I just source another column??

Any help much appreciated

Ben

stevegough - 4/7/12 at 08:44 PM

Yes, there has been a few threads about this, bear with me while I find a link for you (I think it was from Simply Bearings.co.uk)

b3ngy - 4/7/12 at 08:50 PM

I did do a quick search but couldn't find anything......maybe I should try harder next time

stevegough - 4/7/12 at 09:08 PM

Yes, this is what you want - they post out very quickly, too. simply bearings

and this is what it looks like fitted.

b3ngy - 4/7/12 at 09:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to find that for me but I already have that bearing.

Maybe I haven't explained it very well but its the bearing that sits in the column right up behind the steering wheel, it sits almost in line with the indicator stalks.

stevegough - 4/7/12 at 09:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by b3ngy
Thanks for taking the time to find that for me but I already have that bearing.

Maybe I haven't explained it very well but its the bearing that sits in the column right up behind the steering wheel, it sits almost in line with the indicator stalks.

I didn't know there was one up there! Any photos?

RoadkillUK - 4/7/12 at 09:24 PM

I don't have one but is this the one you're looking for?

b3ngy - 4/7/12 at 09:36 PM

That's the lower one I think. That's the mount for mounting the column to the car isn't it?? That bearing may well be the same as the upper one but like I said it sits further up the column towards the steering wheel.

speedygonzales - 4/7/12 at 09:58 PM

Do you mean this one:

FORD SIERRA SAPPHIRE CORTINA FIESTA TRANSIT BNIB TOP STEERING COLUMN BEARING NOS | eBay

b3ngy - 5/7/12 at 05:10 AM

Yep that's the one! Thanks

adithorp - 5/7/12 at 09:26 AM

It comes out with a few gentle taps with a drift. Be carefull you don't loose the plastiic spacer/indicator canceller or the serated washer/spacer that go between the bearing and the steering wheel. There'll be loads of play without them... and thats often been the cause of people thinking their bearing is knackered.

b3ngy - 5/7/12 at 11:07 AM

Thanks for the advice, I can assure you its definately the bearing as I can see loads of ball bearings floating around all over the place in there!