Board logo

Alloy Cheaqer Plate
mull kit car - 16/8/06 at 10:04 PM

I am wanting to fit alloy cheaqer plate to the floor of my kit car but dont know the best place to buy it from.

or is there something better that i could use?

muzchap - 16/8/06 at 11:22 PM

Pretty heavy stuff that is :-)

I think my Luego floor is just thin steel...

I've seen others use ally?

Danozeman - 17/8/06 at 05:42 AM

Do u want to use it as the actual floor of just a look nice cover?? Its heavy stuff even in the thinest stuff.

You metal stock holders will have it. If you have a coach builder or truck body repair place near you theyl probably do u offcuts to the right size for a few quid.

jack trolley - 17/8/06 at 05:15 PM

You can get rubber car mats that have a shiney, chequer-plate finish.
Not sure how durable they are though.

Crazy Jay - 17/8/06 at 10:22 PM

I got mine from a friend who fits out buses, so id say any coach builder place shud have it

timmy - 29/8/06 at 09:52 PM

I got mine from a company that makes toolboxes.
The stuff I have is called 'propeller-plate' because that's what the raised sections look like.
Not sure what is available over there, but here it is available in 1.6 and 3mm. Even the stuff I have is lighter than the 16g steel floor that I had. And looks much nicer.

Grayo - 5/9/06 at 11:07 AM

G'day Timmy!

Do you have any photos of the propeller plate you fitted?

Cheers!

iank - 5/9/06 at 11:31 AM

Why do people think it's heavy? 2mm chequer plate won't way that much more than 2mm flat aluminium - certainly less than 50% more.

Since you can get chequerplate stainless steel I wonder if that's what people are thinking about - that is seriously heavy?

timmy - 17/9/06 at 12:39 PM

Grayo,
I haven't fitted it yet (waiting to paint the chassis first...) but I'll take a photo of the sheet itself if you want....
Just PM me a reminder.

Cheers,

Tim

NS Dev - 28/9/06 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mull kit car
I am wanting to fit alloy cheaqer plate to the floor of my kit car but dont know the best place to buy it from.

or is there something better that i could use?

Blimey, a kit build on Mull!!!

Are you about for watching the rally?

I'll be up there as usual for rally and whisky at the Mish and McGoghans!!

DarrenW - 29/9/06 at 10:20 AM

i got mine from mac#1 with the kit. I didnt notice it being unduly heavy. IMHO it does look good when fitted and no probs with wet carpets etc.

As said it would be worth ringing the local steel stockists. If they dont have it i bet they can get some for you. Full sheet will be a bit pricy though.