Board logo

WTD: Used drill bits
jonabonospen - 4/12/12 at 11:14 PM

Just about to start my kit and people have mentioned using used drill bits for the fibreglass as sharp ones will just crack and chip the fibreglass.

So has anyone got any used drill bits that would be suitable and which they want out of the way?

twybrow - 4/12/12 at 11:17 PM

Just put masking tape over the point you want to drill and drill from the gelcoat side of the laminate... That will stop it chipping.

blakep82 - 5/12/12 at 12:41 AM

drill all the rivet holes for the panels on the chassis, then you will have a used drill bit

designer - 5/12/12 at 08:28 AM

Can't argue with the two above.

nick205 - 5/12/12 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
drill all the rivet holes for the panels on the chassis, then you will have a used drill bit

Spot on

matt_gsxr - 5/12/12 at 10:22 AM

run them backwards

Confused but excited. - 5/12/12 at 07:48 PM

Once you have drilled a few holes in fibreglass, you won't have a sharp bit anyway.
Always use masking tape as previously advised.

Hellfire - 5/12/12 at 08:21 PM

If you have a bench grinder, you can 'back off' the cutting edge of the drill bit to make it suitable for drilling fibreglass without grabbing. Then when you've finished using it for fibreglass, use the bench grinder to put the cutting edge back.

Phil

nick205 - 5/12/12 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If you have a bench grinder, you can 'back off' the cutting edge of the drill bit to make it suitable for drilling fibreglass without grabbing. Then when you've finished using it for fibreglass, use the bench grinder to put the cutting edge back.

Phil

Drill sharpening is not a skill I've mastered despite many attempts

My Dad on the other hand seems able to do it one handed with his eyes shut - very useful, but at the same time quite annoying

blakep82 - 6/12/12 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Drill sharpening is not a skill I've mastered despite many attempts

My Dad on the other hand seems able to do it one handed with his eyes shut - very useful, but at the same time quite annoying

i'm the same, i tried once, erm... didn't go well lol. cocked the drill bit up, so i guess i might as well try again...

[Edited on 6/12/12 by blakep82]

bigandy - 6/12/12 at 10:48 AM

I've got about 100 off 9/16" drill bits that are new you can have for a few beer tokens, if they are suitable size?

Andy