Board logo

Laser Cutting Demand?
mak - 1/12/05 at 07:06 PM

Hello Everyone,

I've built a couple of cars myself and know how useful procedures like Laser Cutting can be for various components such as exhaust flanges, Dashboards, brackets and cutting precise components for fabrication.

I am able to offer a laser cutting service, if the demand exists. So please tell me if such a service would interest any of you, please also tell me what you would most likely need to be cut.

Also I can cut components directly from AutoCAD, do many of you guys have access to this programme, or would most of you need me to convert their technical drawings to AutoCAD?

I await your feedback,

Best Regards,

Mark Foster

bigandy - 1/12/05 at 07:09 PM

Hi Mark,

It's funny you should mention laser cutting, as I am going to be looking for somewhere that can handle cuttig some components from 2mm steel, and also some from 0.4 and 0.8mm stainless steel!

I have access to Solidworks, and all the parts I would want making can be saved as 2D autocad files no problems.

Just out of interest, do you have any sheetmetal bending facilities? The brackets I need cutting from 2mm steel, also need bending into effectively a U shape channel with flanges...

Cheers
Andy

Hammerhead - 1/12/05 at 07:57 PM

I'd be interested in aluminium if you can laser cut that?? maybe up to 1" thick

I have autocad.

oliwb - 1/12/05 at 08:18 PM

Yeh am interested not really sure what/if i need anything doing but is certainly nice to know its there. I churn stuff out in either AutoCad, pro-engineer or solid works...but I presume all you need is an STL file to run the cutter in which case it shouldn't matter which program was originally used.....Oli.

Mr G - 1/12/05 at 08:29 PM

Yup gonna need some bits and pieces, possibly on a regular basis

donut - 1/12/05 at 08:36 PM

If i gave you an image from photoshop would you be able to cut it out from that?

jolson - 1/12/05 at 08:37 PM

You need quite a big machine to laser cut 1" thick ali. You might have a look at water-jet cutting. A mate of mine has a waterjet cutter and does one-off projects as well as production work. There is a picture of the beast (the machine, not my mate!) at http://www.fibrefusion.com/gallery.html.

JoelP - 1/12/05 at 09:22 PM

i could think of a few things given time, though nothing right now.

caber - 1/12/05 at 09:42 PM

You can cut 1" ally successfully but slowly with a normal jigsaw make sure you have a blade suitable for aluminium and keep cutting fluid handy. The edge will not be so smooth but can be dressed with a file and emery paper. Better bet for one off bits!

Caber

mak - 1/12/05 at 10:52 PM

Thankyou all for the feedback!

I have decided to take this forward,
I want to be able to offer a reasonably priced laser cutting service, mainly for private projects.
Please bear in mind i will be doing this in my spare time, so waiting times of around two weeks may be possible javascript:icon('' but I hope my service will make up for this javascript:icon(''

I will post when I am set to recieve orders (not quite yet)

If anyone has any suggestions please u2u me.

To answer a few questions:

The 2mm steel brackets would be no problem at all and forming is possible.

1" aluminium is not possible, in-fact the limit for alluminium for this laser to give a perfect cut is 2mm (due to ally's reflective nature).

Of course Thick steel is not a problem.

May I ask what the 1" ally is for??

Thankyou Oli, thats right as long as an STL file is available it can be cut out, I just usually work with Autocad for 2D.

It would be possible to use a photoshop file, but depending on the image it may be very time consuming.

Best Regards,

Mark Foster

Rorty - 2/12/05 at 03:14 AM

It may pay you to go through the Book and draw up all the necessary brackets, windscreen stays etc. etc. and then when someone asks for a part for a Locost, you'll be in a position to oblige.
You could also fishmouth some round tube and balljoint plates and offer wishbone kits. Front and rear upright kits are another option.
Aluminium seats would be possible, though at 2.5mm thick, laser cutting them usually leaves a burnt rear edge, but that doesn't matter as all edges are welded anyway - except the harness slots which have a rubber moulding glued in place.
Is your laser 2, 3 or 5-axis? If your laser is a 5-axis, then it'll probably be simpler and cheaper to make the suspension brackets from RHS.
Buy your own laser cutter and make it work for you!

mak - 3/12/05 at 10:39 AM

Yeah I agree Rorty,

I will probably draw them up once I get the book back from a friend who's borrowing it, just hope he doesn't decide to build one or i'll never get it back!
uprights are possible, as I have worked with people building racing car uprights before, but currently do not have time for the appropriate stress analysis. I will probably make time if all goes well.

Best regards,

Mark