Board logo

Sva windscreen ??
Hopley89 - 23/12/12 at 11:10 PM

Do I need a windscreen to sva or can I use the small wind shield
As I don't want to put demiser in plus wipers

rodgling - 23/12/12 at 11:12 PM

Not required for IVA. Best to fit afterwards, if you want one, to save the hassle of meeting radius requirements etc.

Stott - 24/12/12 at 01:38 AM

If you fit a small screen/flyscreen make sure it's under the line described in the manual with reference to the seat base.

The tester will fit the reference block to your seat and string the line forward (which is about or just below eye level when seated) if this line contacts your flyscreen it will need wipers and demister.

Leaving it off seems a good idea at the moment but they have changed the IVA certificates lately and they now have a portion on them that the tester must fill in any missing equipment on. So they will be starting to permanently record lack of windscreens and hoods etc so they can see if the "type approval" has been invalidated in the future.

stevegough - 24/12/12 at 07:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stott

Leaving it off seems a good idea at the moment but they have changed the IVA certificates lately and they now have a portion on them that the tester must fill in any missing equipment on. So they will be starting to permanently record lack of windscreens and hoods etc so they can see if the "type approval" has been invalidated in the future.

Hadn't heard about this change, but I can't really see how it could work - who would enforce this? The police are hardly going to pull you over, and contact DVLA to check if the windscreen you now have on your car was fitted during the IVA - after all, the IMAC is taken off you when you get your V5. Your registration document is unlikely to state '2 seater sports without windscreen'.

The only way this could conceivably come to light is after an accident - the Insurance company contacting DVLA and maybe asking them to root through their files?

On the other hand, it more probably would serve as a deterrent to builders submitting their car for IVA without screen?

black fingernail - 24/12/12 at 09:13 AM

Fitting demisters seems daft in our type of cars, but, if it rains the windscreen is chilled, causing the inside to mist up quite badly, and due to the type of harnesses fitted, its very difficult to wipe off, ask me how i know!
In my opinion, some form of demister is a good idea. a heated screen has to be the simplest option, but some sort of heater is handy, just to keep swmbo happy.
As stated before, get it through the test, windscreen, wipers, demisters, can be fitted at your leisure, and you can decide for yourself if you need them.

Stott - 24/12/12 at 09:31 AM

The tester at Cardiff explained it to me when I did the test earlier this month, he was complaining that he just started a new book of certificates and they've changed them, so when he's finished this book he's on to the new ones with the missing equipment bit.

I have no idea how it would be implemented myself and neither did the tester, he's just been told what to record on the forms.

Atb
Stott

cjwood23 - 24/12/12 at 09:50 AM

So other than Westfield are there any other suppliers of heated screens for 7's?
Seem's that there could be quite a market for these.

black fingernail - 24/12/12 at 09:57 AM

caterham use them.
Yes i agree, i think there could be a good market for these at a reasonable price.

cjwood23 - 24/12/12 at 11:59 AM

Perhaps these guys would make one if there was enough interest?
Ricky Evans motorsport – Heated windscreens

Hopley89 - 24/12/12 at 09:13 PM

I don't want to put a windscreen on I want to put a small wind shield on
Do I need a windscreen to pass sva or can I use the wind shield ?

loggyboy - 24/12/12 at 10:41 PM

U won't be taking SVA, you will be taking IVA. See the the first few posts above or have a read of the manual!