Board logo

front suspension holes
markyb - 16/4/08 at 12:24 PM

was just wondering what size of circular bit everyone used to cut their holes out as I am about to pluck up the courage to tackle this. Also does a bog standard bit suffice i.e. B+Q

Also I have already cut out the rear suspension section and was wondering what I should use to take out the rough edges (I know it will be hidden behind the wheel and arch but I would still know it was a bit rough) - should I dremel or some sort of sandpaper ?

cheers

[Edited on 16/4/08 by markyb]

smart51 - 16/4/08 at 12:30 PM

I chain drilled a circle of small holes then opened out with a B&Q cheapo dremmel copy. The sanding discs cut fibreglass quite quickly and very cleanly.

If opening out a hole, bevel the gel coat edge slightly. It helps stop the gel coat chipping off.

Mr Whippy - 16/4/08 at 12:33 PM

can't you use a cardboard template first to get the holes shape just right then transfer that onto the panels? I'd use a dremel to cut them out.

road warrior - 16/4/08 at 01:21 PM

Another vote for dremmel here. But I find the genuine sanding barrels last longer than the yum cha ones.

For cleaning up the rough edges I often use a hook type deburring tool because it gives a neat bevel edge on the gelcoat.

I have sent you a U2U.

coozer - 16/4/08 at 01:59 PM

My body had the holes scratched on the outside and I used a hole saw to cut then out. Smoothed the edges with a bit of used 80 grit.

Smoothed all the long edges off with a orbital sander with very fine woodworking paper.

markyb - 17/4/08 at 12:34 AM

thanks for all the options - gives me a few things to think about

finlay - 18/4/08 at 07:47 PM

76mm hole saw i used for the front suspenssion holes

bobs bangers - 19/4/08 at 05:49 PM

Ive just fitted my body and we used a 3" makita hole saw that came with the drill and the dremel to tidy it up. I would love to post pics but I am useless.

regards

Bob