Board logo

Indicators and lgeneral switch advice.
deep blue - 22/3/12 at 12:41 AM

I want to simplify the electrical switch gear on a trials car, and would appreciate any advice you can offer.
Can i legally dispose of the steering column indicator switch and fit a center dash tractor style indicator switch ditto the dip and beam headlight hazard etc. I do not want to go to all the trouble of changing everything and then being failed at MOT. . any advice please.

russbost - 22/3/12 at 08:04 AM

Yes, you can. Providing all the lights work etc. it doesn't really matter how they are controlled for MoT (different story for IVA), I don't think there is even any requirement for switches etc. to be identified, but perhaps one of the testers on here who are current could confirm?

wilkingj - 22/3/12 at 10:01 AM

+1

However, I would add a buzzer to the indicators, as you will always be forgetting to cancel them with a dash mounted non cancelling switch.
This could lead to an accident that could be seen to be your fault.

It will be a bit annoying, but better then than having an accident as someone pulls out in front of you as you are indictating to turn and then dont!
Just my 2 D's worth.

britishtrident - 22/3/12 at 11:38 AM

Self-timer indicator switch as fitted on some 1950s cars such as the MG TD & TF
The nearest moder equivalent is http://www.completeautomobilist.com/products/414-mechanical-flasher-unit

[Edited on 22/3/12 by britishtrident]

RickRick - 22/3/12 at 12:22 PM

i've got 2 switches on the back of my paddles, one a momenty 2 way toggle on the left for my indicators, can be a bit tricky holding it on for some turns but mostly its fine, and once you've started turning there's not much point in continuing to indicate, the other side has a latching toggle switch to activate a changeover relay for dipped to main

deep blue - 23/3/12 at 04:07 PM

Thank you for the replies, i want to simplify everything and assemble everything to aid fast simple maintenance and less reliability issues.. Reliability is everything to me.

Davegtst - 23/3/12 at 04:33 PM

I've got an on/off/on toggle switch just behind the gear lever. Everything is on toggle switches, can't stand using old parts on a virtually new car.