Board logo

Insurance usage question
ash_hammond - 30/11/09 at 09:18 PM

Me and the Mrs are having a friendly debate over the usage of the car inconjunction with the wording of the policy.

She is a teacher and 99.9% of the time goes to the same fixed location. Occasionally they asked her to go on a training course.

The wording on the policy is "Social, domestic or pleasure purposes including regular travel to or from a permanent place of work. Excluding use by the policyholder or any driver for any business use, racing, rallies, competitions or trials"

I say she is not insured to go to a training course as its not her permanent place of work.

She disagrees.

Anyone care to comment on who may be right.

-- Ash

asn163 - 30/11/09 at 09:21 PM

Hi Ash,

I would agree with your view.

Simon

JoelP - 30/11/09 at 09:21 PM

only an issue if they define 'perminant'. What if she changed job next year?

I discuss this occationally with my employee when i ask him to drive to jobs!

owelly - 30/11/09 at 09:25 PM

I was told by an isnurance broker a few years ago, if you are claiming travelling (mileage or time) in conjunction with work, then you need to have cover for work use.

Charlie_Zetec - 30/11/09 at 09:30 PM

I work for a company whose parent firm has about a dozen offices scattered over the UK, plus a few abroad. My main office that I work from is about 15 miles away, although sometimes I'm required to attend meetings in different locations.

When it came to renewing my insurance, I explained the situation to insurer and they said that I would be covered by a "social, domestic, please & commuting policy". As long as the vehicle isn't used for specific work purposes such as a plumber or sparky transporting goods or tools associated with the trade, or you claim mileage expenses on a regular basis, then commuting would suffice.

I think it's down to personal interpretation and if you use the vehicle for sole a designated job. The most I ever have to take with me is the laptop, which is insured by the company directly should I ever lose it.

Still, I always ask to ensure there can be no misunderstanding!

[Edited on 30/11/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

eznfrank - 30/11/09 at 09:38 PM

I've worked mostly in motor insurance for the last 12 years. You're correct, strictly speaking to the letter of the policy it would not be covered, however, I think in the event of a claim only a really tight arse claims tech would pull you up on that. That being said, for most occupations Level 1 business use is usually free unless you're a mechanic, pizza delivery etc etc

[Edited on 30/11/09 by eznfrank]

ash_hammond - 30/11/09 at 09:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
I work for a company whose parent firm has about a dozen offices scattered over the UK, plus a few abroad. My main office that I work from is about 15 miles away, although sometimes I'm required to attend meetings in different locations.

When it came to renewing my insurance, I explained the situation to insurer and they said that I would be covered by a "social, domestic, please & commuting policy". As long as the vehicle isn't used for specific work purposes such as a plumber or sparky transporting goods or tools associated with the trade, or you claim mileage expenses on a regular basis, then commuting would suffice.

I think it's down to personal interpretation and if you use the vehicle for sole a designated job. The most I ever have to take with me is the laptop, which is insured by the company directly should I ever lose it.

Still, I always ask to ensure there can be no misunderstanding!

[Edited on 30/11/09 by Charlie_Zetec]

I agree with Charlie in his post as it says "social, domestic, please & commuting policy" ours states permanent location, if its just loosly termed commuting i would agrre she would be covered. Its the permanent location that bothers me.

Gazeddy - 30/11/09 at 09:44 PM

i seem to remember its the first place in the day. ie home-work not home-work-training place

mccsp - 30/11/09 at 10:32 PM

Switched to business insurance on my car recently. No extra cost. But More Than said I didn't need to if only one place of work on any given day.

l0rd - 30/11/09 at 11:04 PM

Nice topic.

As far as i am aware, you can commute to different sites as it is the same company after all. Never heard that you need to have bussiness insurance if you claim mileage.

Oups

David Jenkins - 1/12/09 at 08:51 AM

You could always ring the insurance company/broker...
...after all, we pay them enough, so they could answer one question surely! (and I hope you don't mind me calling you Shirley?).

mad4x4 - 1/12/09 at 12:38 PM

Opt for Class 1 business - this allows you to travel to and from different sites. usually cost about £0 to £10 more a year. Try and get you emplyer to pay it...