Board logo

MX5 roundabout drift
nick205 - 10/12/10 at 10:05 PM

Out in the car today and came up to a round about - cold greasy smooth tarmac. Car joining from right was a fairly tatty little MK1 MX5, didn't pay it much attention until the driver hoofed it onto the round about and held it sideways past me, past the next exit and to beautifully controlled dismount down the 3rd exit. Middle aged chap he was with a bloody great grin on his face

steve m - 10/12/10 at 10:09 PM

Until he kills someone ??

pekwah1 - 10/12/10 at 10:14 PM

no more dangerous than all the idiots who don't indicate, don't give way, tailgate etc etc...

steve m - 10/12/10 at 10:17 PM

Andy, do you mean any BMW or Audi driver ????

AndyW - 10/12/10 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Well another typical comment from someone who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. I dont care who you are or what you drive and I dont judge you. Or maybe I should

pekwah1 - 10/12/10 at 10:20 PM

oi! i'm an audi driver! and probably a bmw driver soon.....

i mean most drivers about your age actually.....

pekwah1 - 10/12/10 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

Well another typical comment from someone who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. I dont care who you are or what you drive and I dont judge you. Or maybe I should

You should judge, how else would we know who's better than who!

steve m - 10/12/10 at 10:22 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

hahahahahahahaha

chrisxr2 - 10/12/10 at 10:24 PM

Im 33 on the 19th and took great delight overtaking an arctic sideways today at well within the prescripted speed limit on on damp road with wife and 1 year old in the car, always in full control of all, but my smile.
in a 2003 leon cupra r with complaining what the frick are you doing traction control

[Edited on 10/12/10 by chrisxr2]

Mr G - 10/12/10 at 10:28 PM

Or General Lee drivers?

steve m - 10/12/10 at 10:34 PM

What a nob

MikeRJ - 10/12/10 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2
Im 33 on the 19th and took great delight overtaking an arctic sideways today at well within the prescripted speed limit on on damp road with wife and 1 year old in the car, always in full control of all,

I think you'd find the law would disagree with you on that last point...

T66 - 10/12/10 at 10:40 PM

Noob end

marcjagman - 10/12/10 at 10:47 PM

Not telling how old I am, but I do have a few grand kids, and I do enjoy a bit of sideways action now and then. (Probably because it puts my hip back in place)

steve m - 10/12/10 at 10:49 PM

A good debate this is ??

some have "master" b4

daniel mason - 10/12/10 at 10:54 PM

to even think about getting the back end to skip out with a child on-board is insane! thats all i have to say on the matter..

pekwah1 - 10/12/10 at 10:56 PM

have you guys gone nuts?
i think he was joking.....

daniel mason - 10/12/10 at 10:59 PM

hillarious

D Beddows - 10/12/10 at 11:11 PM

He was probably breaking the speed limit soon after as well........ there is a wierd 'holier than thou' attitude on here sometimes....... it's ok, in fact encouraged, to have over 200bhp and if it's got 300+bhp and has 500kg hanging over the front end with some cheapo dampers even better etc etc but it's not aceptable to speed so why bother, people trawl ebay to find potentialy illegal cars even though it's nothing to do with them, Ken Block is a god....... but where do you think he started doing that stuff....... Don't get me wrong I don't want some muppet in a Corsa 'drifting' into me because he's not as good as he thinks he is but I've seen enough 'oops I crashed it threads' to know that not nearly as many people on here are as good at driving as they think they are either.....

Coat on etc etc

g.gilo - 10/12/10 at 11:15 PM

here here mr beddows

nick205 - 10/12/10 at 11:18 PM

I'd not condone drifting your car on purpose, however in this instance I was the ony other vehicle and already stopped well back from the juntion, the 2rd exit was a field and the 3rd a very long 2 lane one way slip onto a dual carriageway. No he shouldn't be doing it and yes he could have wrecked his car, but I'd give him the benefit of doubt that he probably doesn't drive like that all the time as some others seem to.

On the same journey, approx. 1/2 mile from home some tit in a range rover decided he was going to swerve scross my bow and park half on the pavement outside Tesco Express half in a bus stop. I had to anchor up pretty firmly and dispense some driving advice

Steve Hignett - 10/12/10 at 11:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
hillarious

X2

Richard Quinn - 10/12/10 at 11:33 PM

Two nights on the trot I have encountered the same tw*t in a pretend Astra VXR when I've been coming away from the office. Last night he barged his way from a side road into two lanes of traffic waiting to enter a roundabout. He couldn't get into the r/h lane in time for the roundabout so decided that he would nail it and drive around the outside to the 3rd exit despite the car on his right wanting to go straight over on the 2nd exit.
Tonight he shot straight straight out in front of me across into the outside lane approaching some traffic lights with a "no right turn" sign up. The lights were on red but he didn't even slow down and turned right anyway.
I can tolerate a little over exuberance with the loud pedal accompanied with some competent car control but this type of unnecessary dangerous stupidity really irritates me!

D Beddows - 10/12/10 at 11:45 PM

lol, I fully appreciate that some comments aren't as serious as they 1st appear, and yes I was always aware of it beause I've been on here far too long BUT I still stand by my 1st post.....

MikeRJ - 11/12/10 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
He was probably breaking the speed limit soon after as well........ there is a wierd 'holier than thou' attitude on here sometimes....... it's ok, in fact encouraged, to have over 200bhp and if it's got 300+bhp and has 500kg hanging over the front end with some cheapo dampers even better etc etc but it's not aceptable to speed so why bothe

As always, there is a time and place for these things, and personally I feel if you have small child tucked up in the car it is not a very clever or responsible thing to do.

beaver34 - 11/12/10 at 09:00 AM

some people need to lighten up

pekwah1 - 11/12/10 at 10:00 AM

i think everyone on this thread appreciates that if there are children in the car then any kind of non sensible driving is just plain idiocy. on the other hand, having a bit of a play on the road is most of the time harmless. However, this country has gone PC and health and saftety crazy and as stated, people should lighten up a bit. There are much much worse drivers out there than someone who has a little drift here and there, the majority of people brave enough to do it on the road will probably know what they're doing, and the fact we hardly see them means that like i have in the past, they wait until noone is around.

again, much more dangerous drivers out there like people who don't give way, don't check mirrors, tailgate, don't indicate, don't have any awareness, drive down the middle of the road on country lanes etc... MUCH more of them about imo....

StrikerChris - 11/12/10 at 10:41 AM

Before my 200sx turned into a striker I admit I put it sideways on the roundabout from work every single day there was no other traffic approaching,and got bloody good at it.then I got tempted once on a different quiet round about and realised I wasn't so good,and burst a tyre on the curb!lesson learnt,make sure Noone is anywhere near,could easily have fishtailed into another car or up onto the pavement and wiped out a kid

loggyboy - 11/12/10 at 11:27 AM

What r/about
Was it black?

[Edited on 11/12/10 by loggyboy]

MikeR - 11/12/10 at 11:41 AM

Interesting how people have concerns that its not 'right' to do this sort of thing with a child in the car ........ how do you know what is in the other car? Could be 3 or 4 children.

Surely the (without going completely OTT on health and safety) 'safe' answer is to only do stuff on empty roads when the only person put at risk is yourself?

Obviously done on roads where you can see all the way around so that there is no chance of a kid having fallen off his bike and sat in the road crying ......

Strontium Dog - 11/12/10 at 12:11 PM

I don't think anyone should have a sports car or ever have any fun in one! I know that some people would say there is a time and a place for everything but the safest option is to never ever start the engine and then there can be no confusion as to wether it is OK to enjoy yourself!

dhutch - 11/12/10 at 12:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
He was probably breaking the speed limit soon after as well........ there is a wierd 'holier than thou' attitude on here sometimes....... it's ok, in fact encouraged, to have over 200bhp and if it's got 300+bhp and has 500kg hanging over the front end with some cheapo dampers even better etc etc but it's not aceptable to speed so why bother, people trawl ebay to find potentialy illegal cars even though it's nothing to do with them, Ken Block is a god....... but where do you think he started doing that stuff....... Don't get me wrong I don't want some muppet in a Corsa 'drifting' into me because he's not as good as he thinks he is but I've seen enough 'oops I crashed it threads' to know that not nearly as many people on here are as good at driving as they think they are either.....

Coat on etc etc

THIS

Toniq-r - 11/12/10 at 01:43 PM

Mmmm I think this is given the site a bad name ,all this talk of the drifiting and having fun .Next sombody will be calling you a Power Ranger driver, as we up here in Scotland like having fun in our cars.

MikeR - 11/12/10 at 01:43 PM

hmmm ..... where is that aussie driving campagne video? Perhaps that should be watched before we comment.

(quite enjoying playing devils advocate today)

ashg - 11/12/10 at 01:48 PM

i have got an 1800 mx5 at the moment to strip down for the exocet im going to build. have taken it out a few times now i swear that a 5 year old could drift it round a roundabout they are that easy to drive. its a very hard car to lose control of which is why you rarely see any in the breakers

indykid - 11/12/10 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i have got an 1800 mx5 at the moment to strip down for the exocet im going to build. have taken it out a few times now i swear that a 5 year old could drift it round a roundabout they are that easy to drive. its a very hard car to lose control of which is why you rarely see any in the breakers

this.

it'd be nice to have a torsen in mine but even with an open diff, it's still very easy to slide about

on the occasions my car may have been seen doing this, obviously i wasn't driving because it's completely irresponsible, but i'm sure there would have been no pedestrians or other cars about and would have been in clear view of any that may have been approaching. any passenger would have been fully consenting

streeto round the town centre is not cool, but sliding an mx5 round a quiet roundabout has nowhere near the potential for damage as driving tired, angry or hungover, or any other of a myriad of seemingly accepted driving scenarios

if anyone who's ever driven a car claims they've never exceeded the speed limit, i'll call them a liar to their face

loggyboy - 11/12/10 at 03:45 PM

Ninehigh - 11/12/10 at 07:48 PM

Come on, all in moderation and when no-one else is about!

I had some rear-out action once in my 106, now that was interesting (especially as I didn't do it on purpose!)

If you have no interest in having fun in a car, get a Metro or get the bus

loggyboy - 13/12/10 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
What r/about
Was it black?

Nick?

loggyboy - 4/1/11 at 03:47 PM

It wouldnt have been this MX5 by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=xV9LPzE-39Y#t=124s

[Edited on 4/1/11 by loggyboy]

nick205 - 4/1/11 at 06:56 PM

Loggy - it might have been, it was heading north onto the M3 - not you is it...?

BTW, do you still want that T9 box? I've been rather slack and put off by the cold weather from crawling over a rusty Sierra in a dark damp barn, but it's still there if you want it.

loggyboy - 5/1/11 at 12:18 AM

Might have been my bro, what junction was it? He is based in basingstoke but does go down winchester way for work. He also rarely drives with the tail inline.
The pic/gif is him driving, the video at that time is me when I used his car for a Solo.

No rush on the Box, still waiting for Raw to sort themselves out.

nick205 - 5/1/11 at 08:52 AM

Jn 12 heading north onto the m/way.

I'll have the box out when it warms up a bit and drop you a U2U.

Cheers
Nick