Board logo

Tintop prob, Mondeo Auto, reverse is AWOL
NigeEss - 8/8/11 at 09:31 PM

52 plate 2.0 TDCi, reverse has stopped working.
There's the usual "clunk" as it engages and the idle drops slightly but nothing
happens whe you accelerate. Apart from the revs rising. All forward grears ok.

Any ideas O wise ones ?

Ninehigh - 8/8/11 at 10:06 PM

So do you think the gear is physically engaging, but maybe a sensor or something disagrees and won't let you move?

britishtrident - 9/8/11 at 05:46 AM

Ford have used a few different autoboxes in the Mondeo over the years including Jatco, but the first place to start is to check the fluid level following the correct procedure for the gearbox type.

jase380 - 9/8/11 at 05:53 AM

I had a scorpio a good few years ago with the same problem, turned out the box was knackered, caused by the gearbox oil cooler getting blocked and overheating the box which made a bearing used when selecting reverse drop out of its housing.... probably completly different to the mondeo but my experience with auto boxes has always been an expensive one when they start doing strange things !!. this bloke knows his stuff though, www.automatictransmissions-uk.com would be worth giving him a bell, he was able to diagnose a fault on my xc90 over the phone to the point of saying sell it before it gets worse .

jonesier1 - 9/8/11 at 09:37 AM

i got one here with no foward gears,basically its scrap as the cost of repair well outways the value of the car,even if it the valve/soloniod pack its still to dear.take the cat and alloys off and tkae it down the scrapyard while the price of scrap is good.thats what im doing.