Board logo

DIY Rivnut tool
RichieC - 15/2/06 at 08:55 AM

Hi all, managed to strip the threads out of my M6 mandrel so I can no longer use my rivnut tool. Is there an easy DIY way of setting an alloy rivnut up to M6? Surely its just a case of fitting a plate between the surface and a bolt through the middle with the rivnut screwed onto the bolt?

Does this sound right or am I talking rubbish, any photos or drawing would help as Im going to have to make a new tool today.

Thanks

Richie

ditchlewis - 15/2/06 at 09:02 AM

i've had problems with rivnuts in the past, so i used to use that liquid metal glue and then rivnut. not sure if the glue would be enough to hold it untill the rivnut starts to crimp up of not. its just and idea. i have had some success with this method though, usually small diameter bolts.

ditch

ps if you have a good quality rivnut tool why dont you see if you can get a replacement mandril. i bought mine off car builder sollutions and i got a replacement from them.

[Edited on 15/2/06 by ditchlewis]

David Jenkins - 15/2/06 at 09:03 AM

If you have a lathe, and you're feeling flash, then look at my website under 'Special tools and parts'. Dead easy to make, required a 50p bearing from a local supplier, takes no effort to use.

Alternatively a HT bolt, a nut and a washer works OK, as long as you use loads of grease to lubricate the nut. The bolt won't last very long, though.

David

RichieC - 15/2/06 at 09:09 AM

Thanks guys. I dont have a lathe so Ill see how I get on with the nut/bolts option

Alan_Thomas - 15/2/06 at 09:29 AM

I set all my rivnuts without a tool. using the following.
A piece of strip metal approx 6inch long 1inch wide with a hole of the right size one end (ie 6mm)
Insert the rivnut in position, place the strip over the rivnut then wind a bolt (with a nut already threaded on it) thru the strip and into the rivnut. Make sure you have fully engaged all the threads of the rivnut.
Then, holding the strip to prevent it turning and hold the bolt head with a ring spanner, tighten the nut. The rivnut is pulled up without damage. You must stop when it becomes suddenly much more difficult to turn otherwise it is easy to strip out the rivnut thread.

This probably sounds like it needs 3 hands but in practice it is very easy and I used this method to pull up 6,8 and 10 mm rivnuts.

- Alan

RichieC - 15/2/06 at 09:48 AM

So something like this then Alan? Rescued attachment Rivnut.JPG
Rescued attachment Rivnut.JPG

Peteff - 15/2/06 at 10:26 AM

Clamp the piece of plate to the bar you're putting the rivnut in with a mole grip and you'll have both hands free to work the spanners. You could use a big washer instead of plate, put a blob of grease between the nut and plate.

NS Dev - 16/2/06 at 12:57 AM

David Jenkins little tool design is brill, worth finding somebody with a lathe and paying them some beer I'd say!