Board logo

I just witnessed a murder......
MakeEverything - 9/8/10 at 03:53 PM

A harris hawk just snatched a chick from the nest in our garden, and perched on top of the shed ripping it to pieces. Made one hell of a noise taking it too.

I didnt have time to get the camera, but he sat there keeping an eye on me whilst he ate it.

It was cool to see nature in action.

stevegough - 9/8/10 at 04:03 PM

Pity it didn't get that bleedin' Meerkat!

bonzoronnie - 9/8/10 at 04:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Pity it didn't get that bleedin' Meerkat!

PMSL

MakeEverything - 9/8/10 at 04:40 PM

....... long ago.....

Dangle_kt - 9/8/10 at 05:11 PM

I saw a sparrowhawk once come through our hedge to grab a sparrow - it was well impressive and aweful.

The proper use of the word aweful btw.

scootz - 9/8/10 at 05:55 PM

We're treated to aerial dog-fights most evenings... the crows have it in for the Buzzard family and attack them en-masse when one goes for a solo-flight.

Was pretty cool a couple of weeks ago as one of the Buzards took a crow out, landed in our front garden with it and pinned it down! The crow family then swarmed over and rescued it!

NigeEss - 9/8/10 at 10:47 PM

Caught a fleeting glance last summer of a hawk taking a starling out
of a hedge. Heard a loud rustle and turned to see the hawk with
victim fly away.

Ninehigh - 9/8/10 at 11:26 PM

Harris Hawks are awesome for that, went on one of those experience days a couple of months ago and a pair of them got a duck in its nest with it's mate and a bunch of swans close by

Mr G - 10/8/10 at 12:20 AM

Billy on here is into his birds of prey and has some goshawk vids on Youtube

He's the one that pointed me in the direction of the youtube videos of golden eagles killing wolves, grabbing goats off cliffs and taking on bears

NSFW

They really are the formula1 car of the avian world

G

[Edited on 10/8/10 by Mr G]

Daddylonglegs - 10/8/10 at 05:12 AM

Wanting to get into hawking myself (waits for the puns! ), me and the boss spent a day flying allsorts of hawks, eagles,owls etc. Great day. I'm gathering as much info and experience as poss with a view to getting my own HH in the future. Watch out bunnies!

We had a sparrow hawk take out a robin in the back garden earlier this year, missus was most dischuffed! Love it or hate it, you've got to admit they are pretty awesome

Ninehigh - 10/8/10 at 09:21 AM

Actually it's our right as free men

02GF74 - 10/8/10 at 10:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Wanting to get into hawking myself (waits for the puns! ),

Well, you're in luck, Stephen is available coz he broke up with his last girlfriend after she stood him up.

Ninehigh - 10/8/10 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Wanting to get into hawking myself (waits for the puns! ),

Well, you're in luck, Stephen is available coz he broke up with his last girlfriend after she stood him up.

Isn't that dogging?

Rod Ends - 11/8/10 at 01:03 PM

Caught on camera today!

Description
Description

NigeEss - 18/8/10 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr G
.................... videos of golden eagles killing wolves, grabbing goats off cliffs and taking on bears

NSFW

Never would have believed they'd take prey so much bigger then themselves !

Amazing !