Board logo

Correct English word for this?
maartenromijn - 27/1/11 at 09:42 AM

What would de the correct English word for this tool?

liam.mccaffrey - 27/1/11 at 09:48 AM

we call them floggers, just looked it up in the brammer catalogue and its proper name is a slogging spanner

[Edited on 27/1/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

tomgregory2000 - 27/1/11 at 09:51 AM

metric ring slogging spanner

maartenromijn - 27/1/11 at 09:51 AM

Thanks. We don't have that kind of info in the Netherlands.

Flamez - 27/1/11 at 10:06 AM

I guess you smack it with a hammer, my type of tool lol.

daviep - 27/1/11 at 10:36 AM

Everywhere that I've worked they have also been called flogging spanners.

Davie

Xtreme Kermit - 27/1/11 at 12:19 PM

What a novel idea...

A spanner designed to be hit with a hammer

[Edited on 27/1/11 by Xtreme Kermit]

mad4x4 - 27/1/11 at 12:25 PM

If the offshore world ( Aberdeen and the likes) these would be flogging spanners

James - 27/1/11 at 12:54 PM

Well! You learn something every day. Never heard of or even seen them before!

Cheers,
James

owelly - 27/1/11 at 12:54 PM

I used to use these flogging spanners on a daily basis until the health and safety brigade saw them. They've been banned by the H&S for almost everything they were intended for!!

bi22le - 27/1/11 at 01:11 PM

Huh, never seen one of those before either.

liam.mccaffrey - 27/1/11 at 01:12 PM

Seriously? Must check that out as they are used all the time here!

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I used to use these flogging spanners on a daily basis until the health and safety brigade saw them. They've been banned by the H&S for almost everything they were intended for!!

yozza - 27/1/11 at 02:35 PM

Hi
We use them a lot offshore as mentioned above. They are supposed to be used when tightening with a machined recess, usually with a gasket between (valve flanges etc) the idea being you hit it until the note changes to a 'ring'. This tells you that both flanges are metal to metal and the machined recess is compressing the spiral wound gasket correctly. Torque bars or torque multipliers are the more acceptable method but using a big hammer with these is much more fun!!
Joe

maartenromijn - 27/1/11 at 03:06 PM

We use them at our ship repair yard. I needed the proper word in order to write my report in English.

Peteff - 27/1/11 at 04:20 PM

I've not seen one of those for a long time. They were flogging spanners here as well. Is it still Christmas there Marten? I never heard them called slogging spanners. There's a link to some here.

[Edited on 27/1/11 by Peteff]

TPG - 27/1/11 at 05:55 PM

We used to use them to tighten the top nut on 36" (Yes-3 foot) pumps when I was an apprentice. It was the apprentices job. Stood there swinging with a large sledge hammer untill the Fitter said "Okay". Then "You can undo it now,Don't be such a cheeky (^%*** in the future." Couldn't lift your arms above the shoulder after doing them.
Happy days.

perksy - 27/1/11 at 06:27 PM

Last time i used one of those it ended in Tears

Think i've still got the scar..

Nash - 27/1/11 at 08:00 PM

In petro-chem industry they have copper version to hit with copper hammer intringically safe (no sparks).

Tend to be used on 1" plus only Never seen a 2BA flogging spanner

..............Neil

maartenromijn - 28/1/11 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Is it still Christmas there Marten? [Edited on 27/1/11 by Peteff]

No Christmas, but I cannot tell the ladies goodbye...

mcerd1 - 28/1/11 at 01:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Flamez

you can also stick a bit of tube over the end of it and just use it like a giant spanner (obviously it needs to be a fairly strong / close fitting tube)
the last time I saw them using a bar ~1.5m long

I'd never seen untill a year ago when I had to start designing structures that needed M42 bolts to hold them to the ground
and aparently it hard to get 65mm spaners.....

gazza285 - 28/1/11 at 05:44 PM

Use them all the time, they're in the van next to the podgers.

Angel Acevedo - 1/2/11 at 05:12 PM

Sorry,
Late to the party:
Correct name would be "Flat Flogging Spanner"
As oppossed to "offset" ones
AA

britishtrident - 1/2/11 at 05:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Sorry,
Late to the party:
Correct name would be "Flat Flogging Spanner"
As oppossed to "offset" ones
AA

Could be yet another nick name for Max Mosley

britishtrident - 1/2/11 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:

you can also stick a bit of tube over the end of it and just use it like a giant spanner (obviously it needs to be a fairly strong / close fitting tube)

I'd never seen untill a year ago when I had to start designing structures that needed M42 bolts to hold them to the ground

When you get bolts that big i tends to be hydraulic bolt stretchers that are the weapon l of choice.

mcerd1 - 1/2/11 at 06:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
quote:

When you get bolts that big i tends to be hydraulic bolt stretchers that are the weapon l of choice.

I think they were just going get a big 1" drive socket / torque wrench - they are only 8.8's not HSFG's so they don't need to be that tight and we use locknuts just to be sure they don't work loose (well you wouldn't want 50tonnes of steel landing on your head )

but the standard just says "tightened with appropriate spaners" and give no other guidance

britishtrident - 1/2/11 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by yozza
Hi
We use them a lot offshore as mentioned above. They are supposed to be used when tightening with a machined recess, usually with a gasket between (valve flanges etc) the idea being you hit it until the note changes to a 'ring'. This tells you that both flanges are metal to metal and the machined recess is compressing the spiral wound gasket correctly. Torque bars or torque multipliers are the more acceptable method but using a big hammer with these is much more fun!!
Joe

Torque multipliers and a pull lift on the end of the handle. Oh happy days

daviep - 1/2/11 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
quote:

Bolt tensioning requires a lot of space above the bolt and also requires special bolts/studs which are extra long, a simpler solution is a hytorc head (hydraulic spanner) such as this:

mcerd1 - 1/2/11 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Bolt tensioning requires a lot of space above the bolt and also requires special bolts/studs which are extra long, a simpler solution is a hytorc head (hydraulic spanner) such as this:

^^
I bet that isn't cheap !

daviep - 1/2/11 at 07:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

^^
I bet that isn't cheap !

Couple of grand a pop plus a small hydraulic power pack to run it

Last job I was on the boys destroyed 3 in 3 days

owelly - 1/2/11 at 07:40 PM

Some of the replies on this thread have explained why the H and S have had a party with flogging spanners! And there I was thinking it was because there is a safer way to tighten big stuff, rather than use a big 'ammer........

gazza285 - 1/2/11 at 08:40 PM

We use these babies.

http://www.tcbolts.co.uk/

I've broken a 1" drive strong arm trying to undo the wheel nuts on one of our forklifts, had it hooked onto the 70t overhead crane, still ended up burning two nuts off, and we've sheared the centre off the torque multiplier so many times the money men refuse to have it fixed.

mcerd1 - 1/2/11 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
We use these babies.

http://www.tcbolts.co.uk/

I've broken a 1" drive strong arm trying to undo the wheel nuts on one of our forklifts, had it hooked onto the 70t overhead crane, still ended up burning two nuts off, and we've sheared the centre off the torque multiplier so many times the money men refuse to have it fixed.

my dad got himself one of these for his lorries about 12 years ago: linky (and I know forklifts can be alot tighter than that...)

its only a machine mart one (I'm sure you can get better ones if you don't mind paying) needs alot of air to run, but it makes a hell of difference

[Edited on 1/2/2011 by mcerd1]

gazza285 - 2/2/11 at 07:08 PM

That's what we tried before hooking the strong bar to the crane, made a hell of a lot of noise, didn't undo the nuts though.