Board logo

which engine for a Rover 214?
ewanspence - 9/6/06 at 01:53 PM

I have the cnahce of getting an R reg 214 si for £100 with a burst head gasket?

Does the 1.4 metro engine fit as that would be as cheap as getting the head skimmed and a new gasket and probable a timing belt (If it has one).

Just thinking of getting it, fixing it then flog for a few hundred quid profit.

4 new tyres 11 months MOT, new radiator .... bargain I thought.

45k miles and the book is about £800 ish.

smart51 - 9/6/06 at 01:58 PM

I believe that all rover k series engines are made from the same basic block and can be transplanted at will from the 1.1 8V to the 1.8VVC and 1.8T. The T and VVC head will be bigger though so check they fit.

Early 214 8V engines were replaces by a "detuned" 16V on grounds of emissions. By detuned, they put a lug in the inlet manifold to stop the throttles opening fully and put a shorter throttle cable on it to make sure.

1 x new cable and a couple of minutes with a dremmel et voila.

nitram38 - 9/6/06 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by smart51
I believe that all rover k series engines are made from the same basic block and can be transplanted at will from the 1.1 8V to the 1.8VVC and 1.8T. The T and VVC head will be bigger though so check they fit.

Early 214 8V engines were replaces by a "detuned" 16V on grounds of emissions. By detuned, they put a lug in the inlet manifold to stop the throttles opening fully and put a shorter throttle cable on it to make sure.

1 x new cable and a couple of minutes with a dremmel et voila.

Which lug?
I have the 1.4 16v in my car

Guinness - 9/6/06 at 05:31 PM

One of the NE7ER's put an ex Caterham 1.6 litre K series in his sons 214. That was a cool street sleeper, on twin carbs too!

Loads of people take out the 1.6 when changing to Zetecs / Duratecs etc, so they come up for sale quite often.

Mike

Baldrick - 10/6/06 at 02:22 AM

I 'inherited' an R reg 214si with a blown head gasket last year. Kept it for a bit planning to mend but never got around to it. In the end put it on eBay (fully explained condition and non-runner) and got £450 for it. That had no MOT, tax or anything and had done 98,000 miles. Maybe worth just doing that - save working on it yourself as it's not the easiest engine to get in & out - also allows more time for your build!

Bought by a guy down Moffat way who bought, did up & sold Rovers.

nitram38 - 10/6/06 at 04:44 AM

I must have been lucky with mine. I bought a whole 21000 mile car for £400 (T-bone accident).
It provided me with engine, gearbox, driveshafts, wheel hubs, brakes, steering column, front/rear brakes, handbrake, exhaust manifold and cat.