Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: weve been rear ended !
steve m

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
weve been rear ended !

Wifey and myself were driven into yesterday while stationary, by a guy in a rover 75
we do have his details
there doesnt appear to be any damage to our car, but my towball made a nice mess of his front bumper and grill
but when its dry and light i will whip the bumper off, and check it all out

but both of us got a good jolt, and both are suffering with a soreish neck,
I can not say whip lash, as it was a pretty low spead thump, more of a good old jolt
should we though get a Dr to to assess us, and should i also let my insurance know? as we have never been in this situation

I am certainly not planning on sueing for thousands !!

Steve

JoelP

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
First port of all for me would be suggesting a cash settlement, to keep your insurance clean. See how you both feel tomorrow, as ive found it stiffens up overnight. I once set a guy on his way (same circumstance as you) without taking details as i felt fine, but was buggered the next day. Again, my towball ruined his front end!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a fan of the claim/blame society we have but I would say at least get checked by a doctor/hospital even if you intend to write it off as nothing. I had a head on 30mph impact and didn't really feel like I had any issues at all, neither did my other half initially. 12 hours later I had burning sensations and numb fingers, only slight though. Still passed it off as nothing but since then the neck stiffness and pains got increasingly worse. Now I have ~3 monthly batches of physio to solve the problems that all started that night.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth getting checked out though and logging the accident, just in case something injury-wise crops up later?

Just my 2p worth.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

snapper

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
A doctors appointment will register the injury if at a later date you needed to claim
Necks are delicate and you just don't know what damage has been done.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Worzey

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, glad to here you're both okay. We should try and grab that beer sometime.

Its worth getting your neck checked out even if you don't make a claim.

Caterham R400

theconrodkid

posted on 2/10/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
get yr neck checked and the boot floor on your car

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

steve m

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, this was pretty well what we thought
and both of us ache, much more today than yesterday, so will call the Drs tomorrow

Dave, you should try some of the SKCC runs next year, i did a couple this year, and mullered my engine, but all fixed now

Steve

bi22le

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I hit someone up the arse from standstill from 1M away.
Both of them claimed whip lash from me.

I was sickened to the point of phoning my insurance and giving them a piece of my mind.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Worzey

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'll try to get along. I didn't really use the car this year as it need a fair bit of work.

I worked out it cost me £60 per mile!

Thinking of having a major rebuild over the winter so looking for ideas of what I can do.

Caterham R400

HomersDouble

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Long time no see Steve!
Glad to hear you are OK, but as others have said get checked out, far better than saying 'if only we had .......' in the future if problems arise.

Chris

coyoteboy

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I was sickened to the point of phoning my insurance and giving them a piece of my mind.

You were a numpty and ran in the back of someone and had the cheek to complain

Only kidding, I feel your pain!

designer

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm not a fan of the claim/blame society

Nobody is, until they get the chance to gain from it!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SeanStone

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to buck the trend here

Claim for whiplash, buy yourself something nice!

We're IN a claim/blame society and will be until it becomes illegal. If people can eat and smoke themselves to death, it'll be a while till whiplash claims are brought down!

Get some money back from the insurers you've overpaid all these years!

bigbravedave

posted on 2/10/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
obviously get it checked out, but just as important keep an eye on your symptoms for a bit after

I foolishly cut a car in half using a tree, I spent the following couple of hours being repetatively asked by police, paramedics, and ambulance staff if it was definately me who had been driving as after much checking out they simply refused to believe I had been alone and stepped out of the remains, I was told that I was fine to go home.

Once home I knew all wasn't well when blood came out of places it shouldn't and parts of me that don't usually touch had swelled to meet! a few weeks, several pins, pints, prostetics and operations later I left hospital all fixed (after a bit of physio)

Would you have gone down the blame claim route?

Im just glad to be alive, look normal(ish!) and put life in perspective.

It's human nature to make mistakes, if theres no malice involved move on!

coyoteboy

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 3 chances to claim, only have once. Call me old.fashioned but claiming fraudulently is just joining the scum that help raise premiums. If you need to claim you have my every sympathy and support, if not and you still do I would gladly tell tales!
cliftyhanger

posted on 2/10/12 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I was hit by a driver. I informed my insurance, making it clear that it was just information, as I intended to claim for damage caused from the other driver (which I did, after a bit of grief)

Also visited the doc who took it all very seriously and gave me some diclofenac, of which I took 1 I think (actually used them a few months later when I was a silly boy and lifted some stuff that was too heavy, good stuff they are) BUT if there is any chance you may have suffered an injury, see the doc. Hopefully all will be fine, soreness gets worse then improves after a few days.

steve m

posted on 3/10/12 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
I am not planning on claiming, although i cant move my neck very far, and ache, not pain, from my chest up
but i do feel quite nausous (spelling) and could quite easily throw up

Its a day off today, so will call the Drs,

Wifey, says shes fine, although Monday and yesterday she had a little discomfort, but feels ok today

also if the rain stops, will try and see if there is any damage, but apart from a few scuff marks and scrapes (a couple were there before) the bumper itself appears to be fine

But i think the tow bar frame could be bent, as the sockets/tow bar certainly appear to be closer to the bumper

As said, there was no malice, and the guy was so appologetic, and asked us to call him in a couple of days, to make sure were all ok,
and just because of that, i have no plan to take it further, unless any damage is found

Steve

cliftyhanger

posted on 3/10/12 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Good man!
I am sure the chap will do the right thing if you have any damage at all, but most of all get yourself checked out. Feeling sick isn't good, but the stiffness/aches are probably at their worst now.

cerbera

posted on 3/10/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I hit someone up the arse from standstill from 1M away.
Both of them claimed whip lash from me.

That happened with the Mrs. There was no damage to her car and the person she hit managed to claim £4500.

thefreak

posted on 3/10/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I got rear-ended around a month ago. An 88 year old bloke didn't bother to brake for the roundabout and used our car instead.
I initially said I was fine. The day after I couldn't move my neck more than 1/4 of a turn so went to the MIU to get checked out. Tingling in my little fingers and limited movement suggested a grade 3 whiplash injury.
A month later I've got most movement back, but still aches a lot when holding my neck in a position for more than 30 seconds or so.
I've finally decided after a month of mulling it over to start a claim as I'm in discomfort, can't do the things I used to without feeling achy for a good few hours afterwards. I've got a 6h enduro race coming up at the end of the month and where I was really looking forward to it before the accident, I know now I'm going to either have to dope up to the eyeballs or suffer the following week because of it - more so than I would have done.
If someone injures you, deliberately or accidently and you suffer as a consiquence of it then you're rightly entitled to something back from them.

And he must have wholloped us good, as I had the towbar attached and he managed to crack the bumper and bend the boot lid of an A6 estate!

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/10/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
hmm whip lash, having rammed tree's at about 15mph with my landys to knock them down and not having either headrest or seatbelts I'm not convinced by the old whiplash injury, modern cars are so protective low speed injuries are mostly mythical cry’s for easy cash

I rear ended a car once on a roundabout in my little Falcon, the most trivial fender bender ever which just bent the end of his tail pipe, months later I got a call saying he was suing me for 30k for whip lash! What b$ll$cks, I just told them a) I wasn’t even wearing a seatbelt and was not injured b) my car was totally fixed the next day, never heard any more of it

Then I have a neighbour who is the wife of an ex-cop who is suiting for permanent back injuries from a rear ender that supposedly prevents her ever working again but strangely doesn’t stop her mowing the lawn each week…

No wonder insurance is so expensive

[Edited on 3/10/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 3/10/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mr whippy

Trust me, that while your sitting there stationary, and all comfortable in your seats waiting turn right
and BANG up the arse with a BIG car like a rover 75, you would know somthing has hit you, plus i had the handbrake on, as it was on a light slope downhill

Knocking trees over at 15mph is premiditated, and pretty stupid!

perhaps you would like to be sitting here right now feeling sick, headache, and cant move neck more than 20 ish %
makes driving a real PITA

Steve

Confused but excited.

posted on 3/10/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Never mind phoning your doctor, phone your brief!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

gazza285

posted on 3/10/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
If we could see it coming Mr Whippy we would brace ourselves and not get hurt, like when you hit your trees you are ready for it. I was sat nice and relaxed waiting for my turn at a roundabout when I was hit, felt ok at the time and sent the lad on his way. That was five years ago and my neck hasn't been right since, I'm still having to see a chiropractor to regain lost movement every couple of months.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.