Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: concentric clutch
dmottaway

posted on 16/9/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
concentric clutch

how do I figure how thick the mounting needs to be to convert from typical fork type to a Saab concentric? That is, does the throwout bearing contact the pressure plate at all times, or, if not, how far does it move before contacting the plate? Is it possible to extend the clutch piston too far and have the whole thing come apart?

dave

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

Findlay234

posted on 16/9/06 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
HA, ive just spent the last few weeks trying to work that all out and finally managed to sort it

You need to make sure that you design the spacer so that with a new clutch the bearing sits on the plate with about a 9mm extension on the slave. This allows the slave to take up the slack created when the clutch wears. The extension should go down to about 2mm by the time the clutch needs replacing.

What engine and gearbox are you using??

dmottaway

posted on 16/9/06 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I will be using a Totota 4age with a w56 transmission out of a Toy truck (custom bellhousing).

think I am going to have to have the slave cylinder in hand to see what you are referring to with the "extension".

thanx for the reply.

dave

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

Findlay234

posted on 17/9/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes youll have to have the clutch slave and the modified bell housing all ready so that it fits to the engine.

I myself have a 4age with a t50. What i did then was to measure the distance of the clutch diaghram from the bell house mounting face on the engine block. Then by measureing the depth inside the bell from face to the surface you will be mounting the clutch adapter to will give you the depth of the clutch slave and adapter. take this value and minus the depth of the closed slave (from bearing contact surface to the surface that will join the adapter face), also minus the approximate 9mm and you will have the distance that needs to be accomodated by the slave adapter that you will have to get turned.

Mine, with the t50, was a gap of 14mm. Now im sure the clutch will wear differently to a saab one so the 9mm clearance that needs to be given is up to you but i have gone for this figure.

I will be putting my clutch slave into my bellhouseing in the next couple of days. Should get it all plumbed up by the end of the week and i can let you know how it goes.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.