Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Granada & Sierra Axle comparison.
jollygreengiant

posted on 9/3/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Granada & Sierra Axle comparison.

Well the other night I got to thinking. Yes I know its a dangerous thing but you just have to do it sometimes.
It goes like this.

I have a Luego Viento Kit and the back end is based around a Sierra Diff, shafts & hubs with no alteration. The Standard Sierra diff I believe is 7".
The rear suspension that I have fitted into mine is from a Granada. This has a 7.5" Diff. Now the drive shafts & hubs fitted without ANY modifications, which means that although the Granada is a bigger car, the dimensions of the subframe MUST be basically the same.
However this brings me to my thoughts.

From an engineering perspective I assume that the distance from the diff output bearing race to the driveshaft mounting face would be the same regardless of 7" or 7.5" diff if this is not the case then the smaller diff would theoretically have the output bearings under greater strain. Anyway if this IS so that the above distance is the same then surely this would mean that the Granada drive shafts must be slightly shorter than the Sierra drive shafts.????????

I know someone will come up with a definitive answer. Over to you lads.

[Edited on 9/3/07 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jimgiblett

posted on 9/3/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I always thought the 7.5 granny diff was the same other than the top mount being an extra 0.5". The Cosworth diff however is a completely different beastie.

But I could be wrong

- Jim

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/3/07 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
I always thought the 7.5 granny diff was the same other than the top mount being an extra 0.5". The Cosworth diff however is a completely different beastie.

But I could be wrong

- Jim

You could well be right, its just been nagging me, a bit like going on holiday and thinking "did I lock the door"

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that the 7 or 7.5" refers to the crown wheel size so that would not in itself make any difference to the width and hence the drive shafts.

However here is a pic of the two together so you can decide for your self which one you have got and whether one is wider than the other.

Cheers

mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Liam

posted on 9/3/07 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
The 7.5" diff is the same in granny or sierra cossie, only the 2wd sierra cossie has bigger output flanges.

7.5" diff is pretty much exactly the same width as the 7" and granny driveshafts are pretty much the same length as sierra ones.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 9/3/07 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
My my mookaloid, you certainly appear to have a very nice big pair.

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/07 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
My my mookaloid, you certainly appear to have a very nice big pair.

I confess that they are not mine

I kept a copy of the photo when it was posted on here some time ago

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 10/3/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know ofr sure, but I'd put money on the driveshafts being the sme between Sierra and Granada. Ford wouldn't want to make different parts would they?

What about checking Ford (and driveshaft supplier) catalogue part numbers? That may give you an indication whether they are the same part or not.

HTH
Nick

NS Dev

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have mentioned this on here before, but it gets REALLY confusing when people refer to the 7" diff with the 7.5" mounting width as a 7.5" diff COS IT ISNT!!!!!

Ford named the diffs by crownwheel diameter, not anything to do with the casing!

There is a 6.5" crownwheel, a 7" crownwheel fitted to pretty much everything sierra and granada, a 7.5" crownwheel fitted to 24v scorps and 2wd cossie sierra, and a 9" crownwheel fitted to motorsport FFD diffs, and (I think) production Sierra XR8 diffs.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 10/3/07 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
PS because the granad and sierra diffs are the same internally, the width across drive flanges should be the same (has been on any I have measured) and the driveshafts are the same.

As far as I know the only difference between them is the granny has the 5 stud outer flanges, which will swap straight into sierra hubs anyway, should you want to.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.