Board logo

Anyone fancy a road trip?
coozer - 8/7/10 at 08:38 PM

Me and Tez have been talking about a run out up the west coast of Jockland.

Basically a run up as far as we can get in 1 day, camp overnight, a 'social' meeting, and run back down on a different route, call it a ring?

One weekend in August. If any of you fancy joining let us know here, its very loose atm and anyone who knows a good route up the west coast please butt in!

We are just outside Durham but if any of yuo southern northern peeps (or anybody!) fancy it we can start here or over the other side, whatever...

Like I said very loose atm so please come forward with suggestions on where to go and any good roads.

LG,
Steve

matt_claydon - 8/7/10 at 09:01 PM

So, just to clarify, what I gather from above is that you want to go to Scotland for a camping trip but currently your ring is very loose

coozer - 8/7/10 at 09:06 PM

My ring is very loose, in fact I can hear a trumpet parping most of the time....

Wheels244 - 8/7/10 at 09:18 PM

Well I would be interested - but all this talk of loose rings and camping has got me a bit worried

mangogrooveworkshop - 8/7/10 at 09:45 PM

theres apparently a trip up to the gareloch sat sunday this weekend and im still fitting the diff tommorow.....last min dot com.....
The cv boot stretcher didnt arrive today...

dave - 8/7/10 at 09:58 PM

I should be ready (ha ha ROFL PMSL)

Peteff - 8/7/10 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshopThe cv boot stretcher didnt arrive today...

You won't need the CV boot stretcher, apparently his ring is already very loose

A1 - 9/7/10 at 01:05 AM

id maybe be up for that.
Crap! is the gareloch run this weekend? i was hoping to make it, but i think work will stop that

Jumpy Guy - 9/7/10 at 10:32 AM

id be up for a run in august....

speed8 - 9/7/10 at 01:44 PM

I might be up for it if it's later in August.... The car is registered now but I'm still in the process of getting rid of the Sierra wheel so I can actually get out and drive it for a bit. If I can get some road time early in August to get a few miles on the clock I'd be up for it.

cerbera - 13/7/10 at 07:52 PM

Could be interested depending on the suggested route and date

prawnabie - 13/7/10 at 07:59 PM

I could be interested too

coozer - 13/7/10 at 08:09 PM

Well up for any dates or routes, basically a days run up the west side on the best roads, camping overnight for a social barby and beers, then a blat back down...

Please come forward with your suggestions.

LG,
Steve

Tommy P - 16/7/10 at 05:33 PM

I'd be up for it in me new purchase, although I thought a road trip was longer than two days.

Any time apart from Aug 11th for me.

Tezza1 - 16/7/10 at 08:27 PM

Sat 21st and sun 22nd Aug

Jumpy Guy - 16/7/10 at 09:59 PM

those dates would be good for me...

coozer - 16/7/10 at 10:39 PM

Provisional route up to Oban. I thought about Lock Ness but it may be a bit too far for a 2 day run.

Please have a look at the route and suggest any better roads. Just for mapping purposes it starts in Durham via Alston, skirtign Glasgow and up different A roads to Oban

Feedback required then I'll have butchers at the route back probably across and down the east A68 Keilder way.

Its a challenging 275 miles up from Durham so if anyone has any recommendations for a nice little place with camp site and pub anywhere near please shout up.

Let me know your thoughts all.

coozer - 16/7/10 at 10:52 PM

The telly's crap tonight so heres me loose Oban Ring

You tell me...

MkII - 17/7/10 at 08:40 PM

done that route(most of it)when I had the scooby. theres some belting roads on the way to oban, petrol stops would need to be well planned and theres not many (if any last time I visited ) places with high octane fuel up there. I'd deffinatly be up for it.If you want to go a bit further the coast road from Oban to ballachulish and then through Glen Coe back to Tyndrum is another brilliant road it would add about 60 miles to trip
.m.

[Edited on 18/7/10 by MkII]

MkII - 18/7/10 at 12:17 PM

glen Coe
Description
Description

Tezza1 - 18/7/10 at 01:55 PM

When you say there arnt many petrol staions what sort of distance are we talking between as I only get about 75mile on a tank, I could always carry a petrol can though.

MkII - 18/7/10 at 02:22 PM

there is plenty of filling stations and bp and shell website says more stock super unleaded than I remember last time I was up there (prob 4/5 years ago) it should be ok but needs to be planned especially if we're using lots of b roads.
.m.

cerbera - 24/7/10 at 05:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MkII
glen Coe
Description
Description

That reminds me of the Transfagarasan Highway

cerbera - 24/7/10 at 05:44 PM

I don't know of any routes up that way, but I'm sure we can find some good roads between Mr Google and MkII.

cerbera - 26/7/10 at 07:44 PM

Looks like this one will need investigation
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=140431

Tommy P - 30/7/10 at 12:11 PM

August is just round the corner - are there any planning developments for this trip.

Jumpy Guy - 30/7/10 at 12:54 PM

was thinking the same thing...

anyone going to volunteer to push this along???

Tommy P - 30/7/10 at 03:59 PM

Just a thought!

Although I like the idea of camping, what about a good B&B type pub just in case we get caught in the rain.

Nice hot shower, good meal and a pint or two?

Plus it'll keep things light and nimble.

[Edited on 30/7/10 by Tommy P]

Tezza1 - 14/8/10 at 07:49 PM

I was wondering if theres any interest still in this weekend as Im going with my son. If theres no one else I wont be going quite as far and will probally stop in a B & B

Tommy P - 14/8/10 at 08:46 PM

Still up for it myself, if I can sort t'electrics out on't Fury