Board logo

how crap is your daily driver
mk85 - 28/11/14 at 11:12 PM

My daily driver is a pug 205 1.1 on lpg 425,000miles hasn't been washed in 6 years has no passenger seat or boot. Drivers door is dented the paint is flat and messed up. But love the idea that its so crapy an knowing I have the porsche on the drive and mk indy in the garage.

Anyone else have the same mentality as me!!!

mk85 - 28/11/14 at 11:19 PM

liam.mccaffrey - 28/11/14 at 11:26 PM

I have a £300 02 astra with 120k on the clock. Its been crashed and the bodywork not repaired. The air con doesnt work, the central locking doesn't work, the boot doesn't open. The heating works but you have to drive with the windows open because the interior streams with massive amounts of water. Bonnet doesn't open and it uses about 5 litres of oil a month.

Its horrible and stinks because of the damp but it just keeps going.

mark chandler - 28/11/14 at 11:28 PM

I like a decent daily driver, just not an expensive one so my v40 for £950 was great for 3 years, just cost a set of brake pads and oil, part ex on my current daily, a v70 D5 which is fantastic, great radio and very fast, dB7 and Locost tucked away in the garage

gaz_gaz - 28/11/14 at 11:46 PM

I'm with Mark. I like a nice daily
5 series Msport tourer as daily
Porsche and MNR in the garage for now.

owelly - 28/11/14 at 11:50 PM

I run a £400 1.8T A4 Quattro. It's done 260,000 miles and keeps going........ I have a £150 Saab 2.2TiD 9-3 sat on the drive for when the Audi dies...... I also have the Ambulance for when the other cars fail or swmbo breaks the Espace, which happens most days.

YQUSTA - 29/11/14 at 12:07 AM

Mine is either the Clio 197 or the 911 C4S.

Both are a great drive for different reasons.

pekwah1 - 29/11/14 at 12:13 AM

hmm.....
am i gonna sound like a twat if i say i've got a relatively new BMW 1 series m-sport?
it's ok tho it's not really mine, just the company car.... but when i lose it next year i'm "upgrading" to a mk2 golf

loggyboy - 29/11/14 at 12:14 AM

My daily is also my track hack.

Sadly its far too much fun and is stopping me from getting on with the Striker.

bi22le - 29/11/14 at 12:14 AM

Company car so essentially a free and almost new mondeo estate titanium X auto. Dont float my boat but looks smart.

YQUSTA - 29/11/14 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Sadly its far too much fun and is stopping me from getting on with the Striker.

Can't agree more, I fell in love with the fun factor of our Clio the first day I got it and every time I drive it it makes me smile.

samjc - 29/11/14 at 12:55 AM

Audi A4 07 model estate but only due to family upgrades but when my insurance goes down in a year or so ill get a mk6 fiesta again (was my first car) and have a little cheap play as be a cheap run arround. Love small hatchbacks

Mr Whippy - 29/11/14 at 01:59 AM

most will already know my daily car by now, think this is my forth one of these. It may be old and slow but it just keeps going with no fuss or bother and I've yet to have one not go straight through an MOT and to me that's all that matters.

However I can honestly say there isn't anything I'd change on this car, if I could buy a brand new one out the showroom today I would, so for crapness I'd give it 0/10

joneh - 29/11/14 at 08:07 AM

Nice Jeep Patriot for me.

It's like driving a noisy tank. It's not very comfortable and doesn't like corners but I love it

Barkalarr - 29/11/14 at 08:53 AM

14 plate new shape BMW 320d M Sport auto - 45 mpg around town and 55 in the motorway. Free road tax for the first year, £30 after that.
Absolutely fantastic car ! In particular, the concierge service. You just call them up and get them to send you to where you want to go rather than searching while you're driving.
I've used it to ask for "can you send me to the nearest hotel for the night please" when we were out driving one day and it was too late to make it back home. They know exactly where you are because the car talks to the BMW "system".
I've also got an app on my phone so I can put the heating on on a cold morning from my bed... Honestly this car is the business !
Only regret is I didn't get adaptive cruise control, but other than that - it's a 10/10 !

Also got the Caterham in the garage which too is awesome fun and brings out this child in my every time I get behind the wheel.

Simon - 29/11/14 at 08:57 AM

Well, having spent nearly enough over the last ten years on cars to pay off the mortgage, I can honestly say that my £800 MG TF gets the most use though currently off the road for a few more days while I swap the rank grey cloth interior for a nice black leather one.

Then it'll be getting the turboed engine......

Cheers

Simon

43655 - 29/11/14 at 09:00 AM

'98 Volvo V70, 2.5l TDI n a mere 171k at the moment.
Perfect for carting around welders, saws, lengths of steel etc!
Just bought track-spec anti-roll bars for it, and bigger VNT turbo is on the to-do list too.
I'm afraid it's not at all poo though, few bits of character but thats it. one window doesn't go down, boot missing a few plastic panels etc

beaver34 - 29/11/14 at 09:00 AM

I run a s2 Elise 111r bit of a pain getting in an out but feels special

scutter - 29/11/14 at 09:36 AM

I've a soft spot for big diesel estates, so currently a 03 Saab 9-5 3.0Tid before that was a 2.5 A6 avant.

Not terrible but nothing new.

ATB Dan.

computid - 29/11/14 at 09:54 AM

Current rocking a 330d E92 on a 62 plate.

Bought it in January at 4500 miles, currently sitting at around 27k. Love it to bits but it is a little unreliable...

[Edited on 29/11/14 by computid]

theprisioner - 29/11/14 at 10:44 AM

2008 Ford Transit Connect, white van man and proud of it. I don't have a Scottish flag or a YES poster in my house window and I am not a Labour supporter either.

daviep - 29/11/14 at 11:27 AM

1 crap car is never enough!

T reg Merc Sprinter - Looks horrific, the bottom 6" of the front doors have rotted off and now get wrapped in duct tape once a year to appease the MOT man, the bodywork would be described as tatty (at best). But it's not really crap because it starts first time everytime, runs on anything remotely resembling diesel and passes it's MOT every year.

X reg Fiesta - Still got the original exhaust and battery, probably the only good things going for it. But it's not crap either, I drive it like I stole it and it never lets me down, again passes MOT every year (but rot may be a problem next year).

53 plate Discovery - Leaks like a sieve, sunroof, windscreen, door seals, axles, gearbox, basically every orifice. Gutless as fcuk, couldn't pass anything least of all an MOT, truly crap in every sense, but really it's the wife's car and she loves it.

Cheers
Davie

monkeyarms - 29/11/14 at 12:45 PM

I like a nice daily, 2006 Jaguar XK Coupe -

my two...

Slimy38 - 29/11/14 at 12:54 PM

I'm currently driving a Renault Captur, it has got to be one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Everything about it is horrible. As an example, one of it's 'features' is removable seat covers. But even though they're factory seat covers, they still make it look like I've just driven away from Halfords with one of their bargain sets!

But I have one of these arriving Monday;

[Edited on 29/11/14 by Slimy38]

CosKev3 - 29/11/14 at 03:05 PM

Some very nice dailys

I like to keep my dailys pretty clean and respectful, but can't help myself and always mod them

My VRS is running 243bhp/357lb ft, GTB turbo, Forge cooler, Peloquin LSD, KW coilovers.

The best part of my commute to work is coming across people in 3ltr Diesel BMW's and Audis

whitestu - 29/11/14 at 03:59 PM

I've got a 2009 Mondeo 2.0 tdci. Costs bugger all to run, has had nothing go wrong in the past 3 years, and has already been paid for by the work mileage claims.

Its also a really nice drive, even if the image is ultra boring.

coozer - 29/11/14 at 04:33 PM

Ive got a Fiat Doblo, its an ugly looking thing and people think its slow but.. its on a 56 plate and has the same engine as a similar year Astra CDi thing, 1.9 turbo diesel with 120bhp. It does 46mpg round the doors and seeing as I hardly go anywhere far away thats good. Going down to Donnington this year gave me the same 46mpg on the motorway at a steady 70+ish.. With the seats out I can stretch out in the back for some nice kip.

Reason for the Dobby for me was the load space, wanted a small van for the business and went for the mpv version to get over all the hassle of van ownership, lower speed limits and insurance hassle. Back seats take two minutes to unclip and its a van once again!

Best use I've had out of it was 16 pallets in the back

Had the motor out last xmas for a clutch, flywheel, water pump and timing belt. Runs very nice, little flat spot around 2700rpm that spoils the fun a bit, but as it does 90mph at 3K rpm I hardly rev it over 2k anyway.

Not the nicest looking thing but it does the trick, its galvanised so no rust and has some nice features on the dash.

Was thinking of going for a newer Bipper but not sure the load capacity is big enough for pallets.

coozer - 29/11/14 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3

Some very nice dailys

I like to keep my dailys pretty clean and respectful, but can't help myself and always mod them

My VRS is running 243bhp/357lb ft, GTB turbo, Forge cooler, Peloquin LSD, KW coilovers.

The best part of my commute to work is coming across people in 3ltr Diesel BMW's and Audis

Thats the donor engine for my next kit!! Very nice.

CosKev3 - 29/11/14 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

1.9 pd? What is that going in?

At the limit of fueling with standard injectors on my turbo now, its a GTB1756.
Uprated injectors are circa £700
Combined with a GTB2260 and circa 2.5bar of boost you can see 280-300bhp and knocking on the door of 400lb ft.
The only engine mods required are a set of PD150 12.9 tensile headbolts to stop head lift!

Benzine - 29/11/14 at 06:27 PM

Honda Jazz 1.3 petrol. Great on fuel, but the gearbox is terrible. It's an 'i-shift' which is like a computer controlled manual I think. Whatever gear you want to be in, forget it. You'll be given something else, with a colossal wait thrown in for good measure.

mk85 - 29/11/14 at 06:33 PM

mk85 - 29/11/14 at 06:36 PM

I love crapy cars as my daily this is by far the best ive had in all the worst posible ways lol

coozer - 29/11/14 at 08:01 PM

quote:
quote:

Combined with a GTB2260 and circa 2.5bar of boost you can see 280-300bhp and knocking on the door of 400lb ft.
The only engine mods required are a set of PD150 12.9 tensile headbolts to stop head lift!

Oops, thought it was a 1.8turbo petrol... However having broused the dark side I do fancy a PD150 motor.. 300bhp and 400lb/ft sounds just right!

Whole lot for my Midlana😁

CosKev3 - 29/11/14 at 09:05 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oops, thought it was a 1.8turbo petrol... However having broused the dark side I do fancy a PD150 motor.. 300bhp and 400lb/ft sounds just right!

Whole lot for my Midlana😁

Ah right!

The mk1 Octavia VRS are 1.8 20v petrol, but the mk1 Fabia VRS only came in the derv version

daniel mason - 29/11/14 at 10:42 PM

I drive around in a 4x4 2006 kia sorento just so I can sprint the force!
Wouldn't have it any other way.f##k the daily drive and get competing

Madinventions - 30/11/14 at 01:50 AM

55 plate Vectra diesel (the 1.9CDTi Fiat lump that claims to have 150bhp) with 120K on the clock. She rumbles along with an assortment of rattles, creaks and groans (more so on cold mornings) and has been known to occasionally spit the odd part out at an unsuspecting passer by but she goes like the proverbial and gives me 55mpg+ all day long.
There's also a really good James Bond style smoke screen built in that you can activate by burying the noisy pedal into the worn out carpet but I try and save that for the tailgaters to keep oil consumption down to manageable levels.

Volvorsport - 30/11/14 at 02:20 AM

Very

skov - 30/11/14 at 10:51 AM

2000 1.3l Hyundai Accent.
Not my daily drive any longer, but was for 5 years running up until a couple of years ago.
Beat that for crapness!