Board logo

Not what I wanted to happen
Jim - 20/5/15 at 02:15 PM

My first post for a while.

Was returning from my MOT (which it passed) when this happened.

Broken suspension
Broken suspension

Was just braking for a corner when there was a rather large bang and the wheel had a bit of toe in and some positive camber. Not exactly what I had hoped would happen as it was a nice sunny day. Had to spend 2 hours waiting for a recovery truck.

ken555 - 20/5/15 at 02:44 PM

Shows how the MOT isn't a safety check,
just a roadworthiness test, and at that moment of time, it met the minimum requirements

Jim - 20/5/15 at 02:48 PM

Yes, I agree. It was just the timing i found funny.

BenTyreman - 20/5/15 at 02:51 PM

Do you have stainless or mild crush tubes?

I had a similar failure on the back outer joint, see: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=147417

Jim - 20/5/15 at 03:06 PM

Will have to check, I suspect mild steel (But they are whatever MK sold a few years ago). Mine have been on the car a bit longer than yours, it's 13 years old this MOT

Bluemoon - 20/5/15 at 07:02 PM

Not again glad you are o.k. Did you have any suspension squeaking? Looking at fitting stainless crush tubes and grease nipples to mine....

[Edited on 20/5/15 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 20/5/15 by Bluemoon]

Jim - 20/5/15 at 07:27 PM

The rear suspension was squeaking, not the front. got a new set for the front on order, I think I'll get new rear arms ordered also. Had to order new shock.

Just glad I've got fiberglass seats with no covers

steve m - 20/5/15 at 08:15 PM

Ive always worried about my home made suspension parts,

But to have branded ones break, ...............

and ive just taxed the car !

austin man - 20/5/15 at 09:47 PM

after 13 years of use I dont think its that bad, due to the stiffness of the suspension on the 7 types there will be excessive forces on such joints

steve m - 20/5/15 at 11:06 PM

My home made ones are 17 years old, and around 20k mileage

40inches - 21/5/15 at 07:36 AM

Make sure the crush tubes are longer then the bush.

whitestu - 21/5/15 at 08:36 AM

I need to check mine at some point as my MK is 9 years old this year, and the bushes haven't been taken apart in that time, though I have sprayed them with chain lube ocassionally.

When I rose jointed the front top wishbones after 4 or 5 years though the bottom front bushes moved perfectly freely.

Stu