Board logo

Bit of a scare
turbodisplay - 28/8/15 at 07:00 PM

Had a miss today with a motorbike, only saw him/her at the last moment due to the low sunlight. Would have seen the bike much sooner if they were wearing hi vis and/or headlights on. Having a best friend that used to ride, last thing to I would ever want to do is hit a bike.
It is amazing that driving a large car can be invisible to some other car drivers, so just saying bikers/7 drivers think about making yourself as visible as possible. I always drive a car with headlights on in with low sunlight.
Have a good weekend all!

Darren

Daf - 28/8/15 at 07:16 PM

Good of you to admit your error! Most people on the internet forums are driving wonders who never make a mistake! My best friend had a Tesco van pull out on him 9 weeks ago - he'll never walk again, everyone take care out there.

turbodisplay - 28/8/15 at 07:28 PM

My friend only rides on the track now, too many near misses. Having a friend who rides makes it very real to look out for bikes. The only time I have ever had contact with a bike is whilst stationary in traffic and he rode into my mirror when filtering through traffic!
I bought a car camera so it will be interesting to see, looking again, how I could have seen him sooner. I think that approaching the junction differently in low sun may be the anwser.

Darren

P.s. Daf sorry to hear about your friend, not nice in the slightest.

[Edited on 28/8/15 by turbodisplay]

Shooter63 - 28/8/15 at 07:35 PM

Yup fair game for the hands up there, I must admit that one of the main reasons for me selling my bike recently was too many close shaves, I could never work out how someone didn't here me coming as the bike ran an open reverse cone megaphone, I always ran with the lights on, but still had too many " sorry mate didn't see you" type lines. I've long thought that it should be compulsory for every driver be made to ride a bike for at least a month before being given a car licence, at least then they would know what it is like.

Shooter

Daf - 28/8/15 at 07:39 PM

Someone posted this brilliant article on here recently, well worth a read if you have 5 minutes

http://www.portsmouthctc.org.uk/a-fighter-pilots-guide-to-surviving-on-the-roads

chrisxr2 - 28/8/15 at 07:54 PM

Amazes me Shen you see bikers on the road in any conditions without all available lights on.

turbodisplay - 28/8/15 at 08:20 PM

Just viewed the footage, cannot see the bike any sooner than I did, biker in black, no lights, was covered by the shadow of the trees, low sunlight glare reduced visibility.
Which is personally flipping scary, at least if I missed him I can say next time do better. Would say taking junction slower and looking multiple times, or avoiding the junction at certain times.
Maybe clean the windscreen ( which is fairly clean) inside and out every week so the glare is minimised.
Stay safe guys.
Darren

owelly - 29/8/15 at 08:07 AM

I've had a few near-misses on my bike. Most scary was a couple of miles from home returning from a 14 day tour of Europe. Me, swmbo and all our camping gear on the bike. Leaving a 30 limit, opened the taps ready for the blast home. I could see a milk tanker leaving a farm and pulling-up at the roadside. I eased off the throttle until the tanker driver looked my way. We made eye contact so I opened the taps again.... then he pulled out. He looked again, saw me so stomped on the brake which left him across the road totally blocking it. I grabbed the brakes and stood the bike on its head but had to swerve behind the tanker which put me on the grass verge, which meant I had to let go of the brakes. Bushes, trees, clumps of grass, more bushes, a ditch, some bollards and a road sign all got involved before I finally ended-up back on the road. The tanker just drove off. We stopped for a de-brief....
I always ride assuming that every other road user is trying to kill me but this time, I left my guard down and it almost killed me and the missus.