Board logo

Half hood
Barkalarr - 12/5/14 at 10:02 PM

Took the Indy out tonight for a nice run in the country with the sun shining, it was great !
Stopped off for a cuppa at my parents and the heavens opened !
Hail, wind, the lot.

Fortunately, I had a cover in the boot of the car to keep some of the rain off while I waited for a couple of hours for it to pass.

I've got an s3 screen on the car with the poppers around the top of the screen, so this should be reasonably straight forward.
What I'm after is a half hook which goes between the windscreen and roll bar and then has some ratchet straps to fix to the underside of the chassis to hold it tight.

So, the question is, where can I get something like this made ?

I'm not looking for complete wet weather gear, I just want something to help keep the rain off my head - I did try driving faster but the inside of the screen started misting up so I'm not going to make a habit of deliberately driving in the wet.

Ugg10 - 12/5/14 at 10:18 PM

How about these http://www.softbitsforsevens.co.uk

Ben_Copeland - 13/5/14 at 06:12 AM

Soft bits are very busy and expensive. They ignored my emails and I had to ring them. First time they didn't answer phone.

You'd be better of looking for local auto trimmers, the SKCC lot have found someone in Surrey I think that half price of softbits. Just waiting on a report back on quality etc.

I'm talking to one local to me to get some bits made for mine too

[Edited on 13/5/14 by Ben_Copeland]

Daddylonglegs - 13/5/14 at 07:10 AM

If you check out my archive (under Post IVA) you can see my feeble attempt! Works fine in a hevy shower but won't keep the rain out on a fast run

I've sold the car now, but the guy who bought it is still sing it so I guess it's still fine.

[Edited on 13/5/14 by Daddylonglegs]

AndyW - 13/5/14 at 07:27 AM

Another side to the story from Bens post, I found soft bits for sevens a pleasure to deal with. I rang them, they answered, they replied to my e-mail with the info requested.

I then got my half hood from them and it was what I consider a good price ( and I'm a tight git!)

I was warned though that they are very busy (which is a good thing I suppose) and sometimes they take a while to respond, but considering the constant posts about a certain kit manufacturer never answering phones, why should that put people off? Or why should we try and put people off?

Barkalarr - 13/5/14 at 08:25 AM

Thanks chaps, I've sent soft bits an email - let's see how long it takes for them to come back to me.

CrisisWolf - 13/8/14 at 04:38 PM

Only ever read good things, and the products look good! Might be getting a half hood next year from them.

Barkalarr - 13/8/14 at 06:24 PM

Best of luck - I've never had a email reply and since sold the car, so don't need it now.

I would have called them if I was desperate.

dbaz293672 - 3/9/14 at 06:20 AM

Is there any other company that does half roofs at reasonsble prices?

alfas - 14/10/14 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Soft bits are very busy and expensive. They ignored my emails and I had to ring them. First time they didn't answer phone.

[Edited on 13/5/14 by Ben_Copeland]

same happend to me...they ignored 3 emails, sent from 2 accounts.....not a company i would deal with!!!