Board logo

New engine inlet build walkthough
bi22le - 30/12/16 at 05:31 PM

I wanted to post up my progress for the cold air feed future proofing for forced induction noise reduction that I have been working on.

I started off with this which was great but very noisy as it poked through the side of my bonnet

original
original

I ditched this and started by purchasing a pulsar plenum and making a backing plate. I could of CAD one up but decided to just cut and shape one myself.

BP1
BP1

BP2
BP2

After planning the route I bought the self contained Viper Pipercross filter and Silicone hoses. I then started to mock up an air duct.

M Run 1
M Run 1

M Buck 1
M Buck 1

M Buck 2
M Buck 2

The main reason I wanted to write this is because Im quite happy with the way that the air duct at the front has come out. As you can see by the pics, I was using Celotex to get a shape. This was because the shape and space I was working with was very tough. I made the internal volume fromCelotex and considered the thickness of the GRP skin. I then wrapped the whole buck in duct tape and then parcel tape to get a smoother finish.

Comp B 1
Comp B 1

I then used a proper GRP sheet kit to wrap the buck. Once set I was able to break up the Celotex and pull it all out. This left me with this.

Fresh 1
Fresh 1

Once I had trimmed it to shape and added boot trim to neatly seal against the underside of the nose cone I am almost done. Some mounts and finishing touches are required but im quite chuffed. The i side of the air duct is super smooth and it fits a treat.

I dont think the pics do it justice as the flash shows up some thin parts and imperfections that are very hard to spot. Either way, once finished fully and painted the whole set up will look the good. I just hope the obvious air restriction does not make too much of a difference. I speculate not.

[Edited on 30/12/16 by bi22le]

[Edited on 30/12/16 by bi22le]

r1_pete - 30/12/16 at 05:44 PM

Looks good, I did similar with a Skyline plenum on my Jag, it does take away the diy look, which I like.

Whats the flow like on that filter? A couple might work out nicely on my RV8 twin body project.

RV8 Twin Bodies 1
RV8 Twin Bodies 1

StevieB - 30/12/16 at 09:02 PM

Looks really neat. To the point where shall be stealing this idea at some point

What engine is it you're running?

Forgive me for asking an either annoying or obvious question - would it have been possible to use a couple of 45 degree silicon hoses to straighten up the path to the plenum?

Andybarbet - 30/12/16 at 09:08 PM

Hi, did you say you wanted something to bung up the 1" ish pipe stub on the top at the entry to the GTIR plenum ? I'm sure I found one the other day that I had turned from ABS. Yours if you want it mate. I will see if I can find it & add a photo if I can from my phone.

I ended up picking up a piper cross airbox so sold my GTIR plenum ages ago.

Andybarbet - 30/12/16 at 09:19 PM

GTIR Plenum ABS bung
GTIR Plenum ABS bung

Here it is with Lego Spiderman to give you an idea of size, if it's any use I can drop it in the post to you FOC.

bi22le - 30/12/16 at 11:18 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.

To answer some questions:

r1_pete: THe filter should be good for some worthwhile airflow. It seems to be a normal pipercross cone filter inside the carbon container. It has something like a 100mm in and 75mm out, and this particular one was second hand from a VXR so fine for about 300bhp I guess.

StevieB: You can steal the idea, The wasted material method of GRP fabrication is perfect for one offs that we need for our cars and something I will be doing again for the sake of 2 hours work and £10 in materials.

Im running a 4age 20V blacktop, so approx 150bhp. You may be able to see that I have an Accusump mounted across the front and there is no where obvious to put it due to the inboard suspension. You can see by the shape of the buck there is an obvious shape that curves around the Accusump canister. There was not enough space for a straight pipe, especially when I had to fit a filter inline. The only thing I could of done is built into the front duct a panel filter. I did go with this as I could not find a short and wide filter.

Andybarbet: YES PLEASE!! This is good timing, I almost cut the whole block off tonight and was going to bond on a plate. Ill send you a U2U

Andybarbet - 31/12/16 at 01:46 PM

Hi mate, in my never ending garage sort out, I've just found two nylon spacers that I cut out on the mill at work to increase the plenum depth for clearance on my trumpets. Let me know if they are any use too, I will send them over if they are.

Approx 12mm thick each, I was going to use clear silicone to seal it all together.

Nylon spacers
Nylon spacers

Nylon spacers
Nylon spacers

Nylon plenum spacers
Nylon plenum spacers

[Edited on 31/12/16 by Andybarbet]

bi22le - 31/12/16 at 02:23 PM

U2U'd.

Thank you very much.

This is why I love LCB. Earlier on this year I gave Andy a set of tyres for free as they were no use to me, in return he has passed on some bits that are no use to him.

These odd little bits are going to greatly help my build.

Moral of this story, before you throw anything kit car related away, offer it on here first. Even if you pay postage to give it away ( or in my case detour 40mins to deliver some tyres after a track day) you just may get some goodies in return!!

And on that group huggin' happy turn of events, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Andybarbet - 31/12/16 at 02:45 PM

Great news, I will package it all up & post it off asap.

Glad they are of use, will need a sand down to make really presentable but hopefully the extra inch of volume will help.

I've had a few bits off here for free & also passed on a few bits for free, it's a fantastic site for things like that.

Long live locost builders :-)

Happy new year guys & girls